Yes, a CR200 runs in an up-to-date S1 system

• 12 July 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi all

I have two CR200 running inside an up-to-date S1 system, it works perfectly.

I saw this topic here: 

It works. These devices are one of the reason, why Sonos split the devices into S1 and S2 devices.

I have them running since 10 years, and I always did an update. 

I just recently had to reset my configuration, and it was a challenge to get them back into the system.

When adding the CR200, I found, that one player must be connected with a LAN cable to the router directly.It does not work, if the LAN connected player is behind a bridge (what I normally have). After it is added, there still must be one player LAN connected, but then it can be behind a bridge. I guess this has to do with a network broadcast message, which does not go through a bridge. 

If anyone is interested in more details, feel free to answer here.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think maybe the fact that you have kept on using the CR200 and so are not behind on updates is the difference between your case and the case of the user you linked to.

I have never read that the CR 200 is “one of the reason, why Sonos split the devices into S1 and S2 devices.” As I recall that was all about the memory of the speakers, not the remote.

Thanks.  When I called Sonos, they said it couldn’t be done but it does, thanks to you. 

I do have a problem though. 

The ZP-90 has to be directly connect to my Starlink combination router/wifi.  If I connect it to a switch (connected to the Starlink) the remote no longer works.  This makes no sense to me since the switch simply multiplies the number of ethernet ports that can be used but this is what happens.

So the good news is that the CR-200 works if it’s directly connected to the router/wifi; the bad news is that I can no longer access the internet directly but only through the slower wifi.

I wonder if you have any thoughts or whether you’ve run out of magic.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Sorry for prior post.  Too many ethernet cables with the same color.  When cabled correctly, works like a charm. Lemmi, how about a Nobel Peace Prize or at least a MacArthur Genius grant.

Thanks again.

I finally was able to add a 10 year old CR200 to my new Sonos Port.  I had to down grade the Port to the S1 operating system, connect the Port to my lan (Ethernet cable) directly on my router, and change the Port Sonos channel to 11.  Everything works great now 😀