Answered

Year of release

• 29 May 2017
  • 3 replies

Why doesn't Sonos show the year of release for tracks? It would be nice to list and play the tracks and albums chronologically. Even if some (or many) tracks don't have (accurate) release dates (but why shouldn't they?), those who have could show that information.

Any good reasons? Or bad ones - just any reason ...

I couldn't find any questions about this ("Year of release") - which I find odd as well.
icon

Best answer by Paul_48 9 March 2018, 12:20

I miss the "sort on year" capability too, particularly for my local mp3 music library; I have thousands of files stored on my Synology NAS. Eventually I took matters into my own hands by thinking laterally and using playlists. Here's what I did...

1. Use Musicbrainz (or similar) to add file metadata initially.
2. Use Foobar music player to load files
3. Edit file metadata individually as required in Foobar (esp. the "year" tag)
4. Filter the music database on "year" and drag (load) into Foobar playlist
5. Create a playlist for each year, e.g. 2018
5. Remove / re-order tracks as required
6. Save the playlist with appropriate name, e.g. "2018"
7. Repeat for all other playlists you want to create (I have about 60 in total)
8. Import playlists into Sonos
9. Voila. Sorted.

To be honest, this process takes a lot of time and it helps if you're a music aficionado with a good dollop of OCD. It works beautifully for me though. The sequence above has been simplified, but I reckon most people would understand the logic.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

The sort index is held in limited memory on each player. Including a date would mean stealing memory from the overall index, decreasing the 65000 tracks it can hold today. Similar to various other requests for adding other sorting tags, Sonos presumably has studied the impact and found it not worth it.
That sounds like a good reason. But I think Sonos should let the users decide if it is worth it, and then have a setting (that could be default "off") to allow that kind of index - I guess it is possible to program the index engine flexible enough - but of course it takes time to program and test.

Thanks for the answer - now I've something to tell my wife who also is annoyed with the missing year sort 😉
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I miss the "sort on year" capability too, particularly for my local mp3 music library; I have thousands of files stored on my Synology NAS. Eventually I took matters into my own hands by thinking laterally and using playlists. Here's what I did...

1. Use Musicbrainz (or similar) to add file metadata initially.
2. Use Foobar music player to load files
3. Edit file metadata individually as required in Foobar (esp. the "year" tag)
4. Filter the music database on "year" and drag (load) into Foobar playlist
5. Create a playlist for each year, e.g. 2018
5. Remove / re-order tracks as required
6. Save the playlist with appropriate name, e.g. "2018"
7. Repeat for all other playlists you want to create (I have about 60 in total)
8. Import playlists into Sonos
9. Voila. Sorted.

To be honest, this process takes a lot of time and it helps if you're a music aficionado with a good dollop of OCD. It works beautifully for me though. The sequence above has been simplified, but I reckon most people would understand the logic.