Any good reasons? Or bad ones - just any reason ...
I couldn't find any questions about this ("Year of release") - which I find odd as well.
Best answer by Paul_48
1. Use Musicbrainz (or similar) to add file metadata initially.
2. Use Foobar music player to load files
3. Edit file metadata individually as required in Foobar (esp. the "year" tag)
4. Filter the music database on "year" and drag (load) into Foobar playlist
5. Create a playlist for each year, e.g. 2018
5. Remove / re-order tracks as required
6. Save the playlist with appropriate name, e.g. "2018"
7. Repeat for all other playlists you want to create (I have about 60 in total)
8. Import playlists into Sonos
9. Voila. Sorted.
To be honest, this process takes a lot of time and it helps if you're a music aficionado with a good dollop of OCD. It works beautifully for me though. The sequence above has been simplified, but I reckon most people would understand the logic.