Wow

• 25 October 2017
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Came back to check on the announcements thread about the new app and it has been deleted. My last post was very critical but spot on. And still no response on anything except "we're working on it". No "Sorry for making the app so blinding white that some people cannot use it". I expect I'll be banned for expressing my frustration and opinions. I am seriously unhappy with Sonos and their customer service right now.

Steve

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

It's not deleted, it is probably in moderation due to profanity, personal attacks, or any other violation of the TOS. If you violated the TOS (and it sounds like you may have), Sonos will moderate the post(s) and put the thread back online.
Userlevel 3
Badge
No profanity, no personal attacks. Just very critical. Well, I did call their customer service terrible but I see other threads saying the same thing. Oh well. Maybe someone after me? I give up anyway. Not a happy customer which stinks because we've loved their products for almost nine years now. Steve
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Have you worked out where the brightness control is on your device?
Userlevel 3
Badge
Yeah, we tried that. Not a good solution in my opinion. Using the older app until they fix it. Thanks though. Steve
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Steve, your post is still there, no edits were made. It's actually the announcement post itself that took a brief break from the spotlight. Long story short, it was in a spam filter. Apologies for the mystery.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
As to your concerns on the app, the team is definitely working on some improvements based on the critiques it's gotten. I don't have any specific details to share on what's up next, but some things are coming soon, and others are on the list for later too. This is just the start of the new design, and the team is actively gathering feedback and making plans for the future.
I hope they roll the app back. We fell in love with how easy Sonos was and now they've really changed the interface so much that we struggle to figure out how anything works anymore.
Userlevel 3
Badge
As to your concerns on the app, the team is definitely working on some improvements based on the critiques it's gotten. I don't have any specific details to share on what's up next, but some things are coming soon, and others are on the list for later too. This is just the start of the new design, and the team is actively gathering feedback and making plans for the future.

Ryan -

Thank you for following up. I do have some questions and I hope you are at liberty to answer them:

1. Why hasn't a dark mode been introduced? And will it? This is a deal breaker for me if there isn't one.
2. Will we be allowed to continue using the old app if #1 isn't taken care of.

Regards,

Steve

I can answer this one. If your system is at a different version than the old app, you will lose much of the Settings menu and if you keep upgrading the firmware without upgrading the app, eventually the app will cease to operate. If you leave the entire system at a former version, you will not get the benefits of an upgrade and as changes are made, services will cease to operate due to new codecs or API changes, and eventually, some update will come along that ceases all connectivity. This has happened in the past when the BBC changed codecs, Spotify and Audible changed APIs, and new security requirements changed the way AWS was accessed, freezing out old systems. About the only thing you can count on is your local library should keep working.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
1. Why hasn't a dark mode been introduced? And will it? This is a deal breaker for me if there isn't one.

jgatie has a pretty good answer for 2 there. the older app will work for a bit, unless your players update to a higher version. At some point the higher software will not work with older apps, but if you don't update your players it'll probably work for a while yet. Though online services require your players to get updates pretty regularly.

As to 1, I can't really answer that in too much depth. The team is definitely considering all of the feedback around the colors and what to do about that. But I can't speak specifically to what is or isn't going to happen right now since it's still in flux. I understand your concern and wanting to know more. Changes will happen over time as we build on the app, and everything needs to go through a development cycle, including design and testing.