Question

With S1, iPhones 6 and 7 don't connect to system from one location.

• Contributor I
  • 5 replies

Since installation of the S1 Controller, my iPhone 7 and 6 no longer connect to the Sonos system from my garage. Prior to the S1 Controller both devices connected from the garage easily. The phones still do connect from all rooms inside the house and from the yard areas. We also have 2 iPads and 2 MacBook Airs. They all immediately connect to the Sonos System when in the garage. The signal in the garage is strong, one of the network access points and the Connect are located in rooms immediately adjacent to the garage. 

My Sonos system consists of: 1 Connect, 5 Connect Amps hard wired to speakers, 1 Play3, 1 Nuvo Amp connected with analog cables to the Connect, 1 Home Theater Receiver connected with an optical cable to the Connect. It is all operated wirelessly without an ethernet connection. I have two UniFi Access Points that deliver the wifi network signal throughout the house. My Music Library is stored on an iMac connected to the same network. I have verified that all devices have the most recent operating systems installed. 

I have verified that all devices are on the same network. I tried rebooting the router, network, all devices, and all Sonos products. I have deleted the Sonos S1 App from the phones and reinstalled it.

What could be causing the problem since S1 was installed?  Help please. 

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @GNM7, welcome to the community, and thanks for all the details. Let me help you with your concern and clarify things with you like are there parts of the house where all of them are working? Just wondering if you’re really referring to the S1 app because we have the S2 app already and why you had to reinstall the app. Since they’re all wirelessly connected, they need to have strong connection with your network. Try to submit a diagnostic and reply to us with the confirmation number to further check it on our end. Thanks!

Hello Krishma.

The iPhones operate Sonos with the S1 App perfectly from all other rooms of the house as well as outside in the front and back yards. The only place they don’t work is in the garage. I should have added that this problem is intermittent. Most of the time the app can’t find the system but every once in a while it does find it.

Yes I am referring to the S1 App. Many of my components are Gen 1 and will not work with S2. The only reason I reinstalled the app was to be sure the app wasn’t somehow corrupted, so, I deleted it and reinstalled it from the app store. 

The Diagnostic Confirmation Number is: 1118415539

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @GNM7, thanks for your response and diagnostic. Just wanna ask, were there any changes prior to getting this issue? I’m seeing two different network manufacturers and Sonos is confused about which you’re using. I saw that Sonos mainly connects to Netgear but each of it is connecting to Ubiquiti. Maybe that’s our problem, can you please your network devices on how they were set up? Keep us posted here. Thanks! 

Hmmm. That’s interesting and surprising. I believe the wireless side of the Netgear router is supposed to be turned off so that it only delivers signal via ethernet to the Ubiquity Access Points and a few other non-Sonos related devices. The Access Points are supposed to be the only places the wireless signal comes from. It will take some research. I’ll get back to you. Thank you. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi, @GNM7! Sure. Just let us know how it goes. We’re always here to help. Thanks! 

I’ve looked into my connections and rechecked all Sonos devices. There are no ethernet connections to the router on any Sonos device. I’ve also checked both the router and access point dashboards and confirmed that all devices are connected to WiFi through one of two Ubiquity Unifi access points. None of the Sonos products or anything else in the house has a wifi connection directly to the router. Both access points are connected to the router by ethernet cables. Therefore I suspect that your observation that Sonos is connecting to the Netgear router is correct, everything is. But that connection is only through the Unifi Access Points, not directly. The only other thing that I noticed is that all of the Sonos devices connect to the network through the upstairs access point. When my iphone connects to the network from the garage it is connecting through the downstairs access point. But It also connects that way when I am inside the house closer to that access point. Consequently it seems very unlikely that the difference in access points has any bearing on the problem. And again, this problem only began to occur after installation of the S1 app. It did not occur with the old app. You also asked if there had been any changes to our systems prior to the beginning of this connection problem, there have been none.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @GNM7, thanks for the detailed response and for getting back to us. If the WiFi is coming from Ubiquity and it’s connected to the Netgear router while it’s WiFi is off or bridged so we’ll only get one WiFi, that should be okay. My suggestion would be to have a full network reboot. Unplug the modem, router, access points, all other network devices, and Sonos from power. After 5 to 10 seconds, start connecting back the modem, once back, connect the router to power, then the access points. Then, once you have the internet back to all parts of the house, connect the Sonos devices to power. Here’s a thread as well being shared by one of the users here about the Tips & Tricks - Resolving random issues impacting Sonos devices. Let us know how it goes. Always here to help. 

I’ll try the reboot. I have rebooted  everything in the past but it but I’ve never brought stuff back up in that particular order. Thank you. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Sure, @GNM7. Just let us know. We’re always here.

I may have found the problem. After looking at the Ip addresses for all our devices I discovered that our Mac had both Ethernet and WiFi connections to the network. That Mac is also the iTunes source for our music files that Sonos uses. I turned WiFi on the Mac off and since then have not had the connection problem described. Hopefully that was it, although the problem has been intermittent. If it returns. I’ll jump back onto this thread. Meanwhile, thank you. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @GNM7, thanks for letting us know about that and yes, I hope that fixes the problem. Just let us know. 

It is our pleasure. We and the community are always here to help.