Wishlist for Sonos Controller Improvements

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So on the old ask forum wishlist items would get lost. Thought I would post a topic where people could vote their biggest wish for controller software improvements.

Wishlist Items for Controller

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

291 replies

It would be nice to be able to stream music from websites easier...youtube, cdbaby....ways to discover musicians without the huge label support.

YouTube doesn't allow streaming over Sonos, or any other direct streamers like Google Chromecast.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
"Why on God's green Earth there's an SMB security debate in a thread about improvements in the Sonos controller..."

... because this is a suggestion on how to improve the software running the controller? Isn't that the section we're in? Some fellow forum users wanted more background on why I thought this was important - is that bad thing? You may not consider this a pressing issue; we can agree to disagree. Cheers.
Sigh.
.. because this is a suggestion on how to improve the software running the controller?
The controller fetches library info from/via the Associated ZP. It doesn't talk SMB to the share directly.
Exactly. Controller specific improvements would be assumed to be Controller or UI specific. Though if that were the case, one couldn't shoehorn their pet peeve issue into a sticky thread in order to garner more exposure. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
"Why on God's green Earth there's an SMB security debate in a thread about improvements in the Sonos controller..."

... because this is a suggestion on how to improve the software running the controller? Isn't that the section we're in? Some fellow forum users wanted more background on why I thought this was important - is that bad thing? You may not consider this a pressing issue; we can agree to disagree. Cheers.

As others have pointed out this is completely fallacious. The controller doesn't communicate with the share. Given you've posted the exact complaints in other threads rather than starting your own it is clear what your Modus Operandi is
Convert the Win32 Windows app to a Windows 10 app with the Desktop Bridge (https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bridges/desktop)

That will help with people getting Windows 10 S machines later in the year.
Badge
maybe be able to listen to whats playing on the TV through the headphone jack on the phone ??
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I apologize for thinking this was a wish-list for Sonos software in general. I thought we were in the software development forum section here. If you only want to focus on the Controller UI and features thereof, great. You may not consider the lack of SMB2+ support a big deal, no worries. The snarky responses are not particularly helpful.

Anyhow, do consider that the controller is rather useless without the software/hardware combination of the ZP actually playing the music. The ability of ZP's to independently access and play NAS content is one of Sonos' differentiators vs. its competition. Cheers.
On the older version of the controller, all you had to do to add a song to the queue was search it and double click it and it became the next song up. For the last few years, if you do that it replaces the entire queue. Which means adding a song takes more clicks. Still annoying, after all these years...
Userlevel 4
More than 30 items in Sonos Favorites. It should be unlimited.

Adding an item today brings up this unfriendly, passive-aggressive error: "Unable to add favorite. You can remove existing favorites to make room" it says.

Who the hell are you kidding?

I really don't have time or interest in deciding what my "top 30" is just because some UI fascist at Sonos decided that should be all I'm allowed. I have 10,000+ albums in my library alone, let alone from streaming services. So it's hardly unusual to have a big list of favourites.

It should be unlimited. If you want to avoid UI scale creep, give me folders.
Are any of the Sonos speakers powered by power over Ethernet or have the ability?
Odd place to ask the question, this is a thread about Sonos controller improvements, but no, none support POE currently.
the ability to see which device (e.g Kieran's Laptop) added a song to a queue

when an entire office has access to the sonos, this would finally hold those accountable for what's playing 😃
I would really like to be able to see my Library by 'recently added' (maybe only the last 30 albums/tracks) - it was a feature I used a lot with my logitech as I am a binge downloader and its an easy way to find the new music I have bought.
I would like to be able to configure the volume balance between different speakers / connects in 1 room. My connect has to be much louder than the play 1's in my living room. Everytime I change the master volume the balance between the play 1's and the connect is changed. I would like to set the volume of each speaker to a certain percentage of the master volume. So when the master volume is 50%, I want to set the connect to 50% for example and the play 1's to 30%. When I change the master volume to 75% the volume of the connect has to be 75% and the play 1's 45%. The ratio between the different speaker has to be same exactly, no matter which master volume you have. The balance between the different speakers / connect is exactly right at a certain ratio between the speakers, so I want to maintain the same ratio when I change the master volume.
Badge +1
The Sonos controller is so bad that I just wish it was AirPlay compatible. That way I could just use iTunes to control my music. Its such an easy fix I don't know why this isn't an option!!!
The Sonos controller is so bad that I just wish it was AirPlay compatible. That way I could just use iTunes to control my music. Its such an easy fix I don't know why this isn't an option!!!

What makes you think "it's such an easy fix"?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

And not forgetting Apple update iTunes for "improvements" very regularly.
Besides, I find the Sonos controller on my Mac, iPad and iPhone perfectly adequate fro my needs.
iTunes is a product of the devil and only on my computer for iDevice sync purposes
Badge +1

If every other brand can add AirPlay to their cheap $50 speakers I cant imagine it is hard for a company like Sonos to write the software.
Badge +1

And not forgetting Apple update iTunes for "improvements" very regularly.
Besides, I find the Sonos controller on my Mac, iPad and iPhone perfectly adequate fro my needs.
iTunes is a product of the devil and only on my computer for iDevice sync purposes

Cool man it works for you and you enjoy it the way it is. Im happy for you. That doesn't mean I like it or works for my purposes.

If every other brand can add AirPlay to their cheap $50 speakers I cant imagine it is hard for a company like Sonos to write the software.

$50 speakers are single use, using the same "push from the mobile device" architecture as Airplay. Sonos are perfectly synchronized multi-room speakers using "pull directly from the source" architecture, which is 180 degrees from Airplay. It's really not easy at all. Just ask Bose, who tried and failed so bad they had to redesign their whole muti-room streamer lineup, dropping Airplay in the process.
Badge +1

$50 speakers are single use, using the same "push from the mobile device" architecture as Airplay. Sonos are perfectly synchronized multi-room speakers using "pull directly from the source" architecture, which is 180 degrees from Airplay. It's really not easy at all. Just ask Bose, who tried and failed so bad they had to redesign their whole muti-room streamer lineup, dropping Airplay in the process.

Ok, so let me change my request and reiterate what would be ideal for me. To use iTunes to control Sonos. Regardless of AirPlay. Im not sure how thats possible but thats what would be perfect.

Ok, so let me change my request and reiterate what would be ideal for me. To use iTunes to control Sonos. Regardless of AirPlay. Im not sure how thats possible but thats what would be perfect.

Dear God,
The poster is bashing airplay based on outdated information. Apple's airplay can function like Google cast and Spotify Connect and Sonos for that matter where the control hands off the stream to another device.
See for example this from Volker Weber (Sonos guru and insider of sort), in particular the comments where he writes about this:

https://vowe.net/archives/016485.html
Badge +1

Dear God,
The poster is bashing airplay based on outdated information. Apple's airplay can function like Google cast and Spotify Connect and Sonos for that matter where the control hands off the stream to another device.
See for example this from Volker Weber (Sonos guru and insider of sort), in particular the comments where he writes about this:

https://vowe.net/archives/016485.html

Then again its just silly that Sonos won't support AirPlay. It has the hardware, all it needs is to implement the software as an update. Its ridiculous that they charge so much for their speakers and the basic controller is hellish to say the best.

Sonos are you hearing me? Its a very simple update. I am highly considering selling my speakers and getting the HomePod if this isn't resolved by the time Apple launches it.