Wishlist for Sonos Controller Improvements

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So on the old ask forum wishlist items would get lost. Thought I would post a topic where people could vote their biggest wish for controller software improvements.

Wishlist Items for Controller

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

291 replies

Badge
Has there been any further response from Sonos on this? (I quickly scanned the thread and haven't seen one). I am DESPERATE to get a log of all my prior plays back.

I don't know if it's related, but now Spotify is not logging my play history either. If I use Spotify through Sonos, none of my history is logged. So I no longer have a queue history if I accidentally wipe it out, and I no longer have a history in Spotify. This is dreadful for a person in the music business.

I can't rely on keeping my phone in my hand and mark "SAVE" for every stinking track I think I might be interested in down the line when I used to be able to scroll through a history list.

I've taken to running Spotify on mute in parallel on a spare phone in iOS on an IF recipe that logs my history to a spreadsheet in Google drive to capture my listens. It's freaking ridiculous!!!! Bring back the permanent queue.
Badge
Has there been any further response from Sonos on this? (I quickly scanned the thread and haven't seen one). I am DESPERATE to get a log of all my prior plays back.

I don't know if it's related, but now Spotify is not logging my play history either. If I use Spotify through Sonos, none of my history is logged. So I no longer have a queue history if I accidentally wipe it out, and I no longer have a history in Spotify. This is dreadful for a person in the music business.

I can't rely on keeping my phone in my hand and mark "SAVE" for every stinking track I think I might be interested in down the line when I used to be able to scroll through a history list.

I've taken to running Spotify on mute in parallel on a spare phone in iOS on an IF recipe that logs my history to a spreadsheet in Google drive to capture my listens. It's freaking ridiculous!!!! Bring back the permanent queue.

And I should add, keeping a history of all plays AS LONG AS I WANT UNTIL I PURGE IT should be from ALL SOURCES not just Spotify. One of the beautiful things about Sonos is that it creates an index from all sources: Spotify, Mixcloud, my personal hard drive libraries, Soundcloud, etc, etc......What a wonderful thing to have a list of listens as a master across sources............
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The way I go about it is I always use the queue. As I chose and pick songs I keep adding them to the end of the queue. Then I save the queue with something like October2016 and I have a bunch of sonos playlists which are just record of all the songs I had been listening to and that other friends/guests added as well.

Works well for me.

I don't see Sonos having any auto saving of history.
Badge
The way I go about it is I always use the queue. As I chose and pick songs I keep adding them to the end of the queue. Then I save the queue with something like October2016 and I have a bunch of sonos playlists which are just record of all the songs I had been listening to and that other friends/guests added as well.

Works well for me.

I don't see Sonos having any auto saving of history.

I used to be able to do that with some success (at least enough that over a period of time I could grab what I needed) but since this last update, the queue is always getting wiped out either accidentally or intentionally by someone in my household and listens are nuked before I get the info I need 😕
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea the new update makes it much more difficult.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Can we add the request for alphabetic 'jump bar' when navigating long lists (similar to Apple Music app on iOS) discussed here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/feature-request-alphabetic-jump-bar-long-lists-such-as-artistalbum-6740470/index1.html#post16037155
Dear all,

It is my first comment on this community but I would like to have the option of limited acces for different kind of users.

So I have 2 kids my wife and me and every now and then I have someone clealing the house.

Wo what I would like is this:
I am the admin, so I can do everything.
My wife can also do everything.
My kids can acces the music in their OWN room, not in the one of their brother or sister and not in the room of the parents.
If possible I would also like to add a volume limit to their controller. Because once they are at their sweet 16, I think the volume will go up 🙂.

And if my cleaning lady is in the house, she can have acces to the radio but not to my server. So limited acces to library.

So to summarize:

users profiles
Per user - max volume
per user - set of sonos devices they can use
per user - services they can use.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Can we add the request for alphabetic 'jump bar' when navigating long lists (similar to Apple Music app on iOS) discussed here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/feature-request-alphabetic-jump-bar-long-lists-such-as-artistalbum-6740470/index1.html#post16037155

By the way, having finally got around to adding my own local music library to Sonos at the weekend, I realized this functionality already exists in the 'Music Library' view. Any ideas why Sonos hasn't carried it forward to other music services, if nothing else for consistency in the user interface?
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
When in the main Now Playing screen, I'd like to be able to "slide over" the Sonos Favourites menu rather than having to exit the screen to select Favourites.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
When on now playing swipe down - your last music selection screen shows (just like if you hit the down arrow in the top right corner. If you were in Sonos favorites before you will still be there.
Being able to save the playlist I create on the device (mobile) my music is stored on.

Having one touch play optional.
•••PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE LET ME ORGANISE THE QUEUE!!•••

Why isn't there a way to organise the queue by Artist, Album, Song etc.?

I love Sonos, but I want to be able to dump my entire music library in the queue and listen to it just like I used to on iTunes - by picking an artist or a genre, or by shuffling and re-discovering an old gem - I can't do that anymore. Instead, everything is in different places and I need to click about 10 things to find anything.

Admittedly, you'd need more space dedicated to the queue to accommodate that, but personally i'm fine with losing the space elsewhere, most of which isn't doing much anyway.

Am I being naive? Is there a reason this can't be done?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You seem the type that would like the new click on song play from here method notnusing queue at all.
You seem the type that would like the new click on song play from here method notnusing queue at all.

Is that an actual thing? I'd have thought the queue is pretty fundamental to how sonos works?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Not really with the new version of the controller. You will see you can click on a song and it will add that song and all to follow. You will also see within the music selection screen the song playing. It is very similar to what you see with most apps.

I personally don't like it as I like utilizing the queue. But you seem to be one that would like the new method. Try it out ignoring the queue screen and you will see what I mean.

Also - if Spotify user they just went to public beta with method to control sonos directly from the Spotify app.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I would like a 'jukebox' mode for the controller app - so that the default action on pressing a song is to add it to the end of current play queue, rather than obliterate the current play queue. This is how the app used to work ,and it was great. In fact, it was one of the little details that made Sonos a nice system to use. I've always hated how other apps like Spotify worked in this regard.
Userlevel 2
The first thing is to REMOVE the Tap to Play feature they just added, people keep starting a new song in the middle of one that is playing and it is annoying, really annoying.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yep for sure
Adding my wish here that the Android controller would have an option to display the screen for a few seconds at the start of every song. Right now I can only see what is starting to play if I manually wake the screen or leave the screen on full time. The few other controllers I have used, for example on my Denon A/V receiver, do this.
How about adding the ability to like or dislike music from Apple Music ... basic functionality I would think.

Greg
I'd like to see the possibility for the app to help place devices (especially bridge and boost) for the best mesh coverage. Google wifi has an app that does just that to set up their mesh for the best coverage.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Interesting on poncho. Thanks for sharing.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Downloaded the 7.0 desktop controller, still seems to have the same flaws as the horrid 6.4 release. "Play" button does different things on different screens, rarely what you'd expect, but at least now I've learned which "play" buttons do a "play and replace queue". Everyone's favourite feature - the "play album followed by tracks 2-end of yesterday's stuff" button is still there (the bit where hitting "play" inserts into the stopped queue instead of appending / overwriting). It's clear that Sonos don't consider this a bug (which it is), but instead a deliberate design feature. I'd love to see the user testing that went into this...
Downloaded the 7.0 desktop controller, still seems to have the same flaws as the horrid 6.4 release...

Thanks for the heads up. Will stick with 6.2.1 till they get that sorted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos has given no indication they are doing anything to change the functionality for queue users who dislike the play now method introduced in 6.4 version if you awaiting a fix.