Wishlist for Sonos Controller Improvements

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So on the old ask forum wishlist items would get lost. Thought I would post a topic where people could vote their biggest wish for controller software improvements.

Wishlist Items for Controller

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

291 replies

Quite a basic ask, but how about some skins or different colour options for the controller instead of the blue and black? Shouldn't be too difficult an option to offer?
Userlevel 1
Badge
So on the old ask forum wishlist items would get lost.

I didn't like the Ask forum, but I don't think that the wishlist items got lost over there. There was a separate Ideas section, and ideas were ranked by popularity, and you could re sequence them by newness, or Sonos response. You could see which items that you had voted upon.

It is this new forum which causes them to get lost, and I presume that is by design, ie. that Sonos prefers it that way.

They seem to ignore them whether they are easy to find or lost in the conversation. Really annoying.
Not sure if this possible requirement has been asked in a different way.. Though I'd like to be able to press a button called along the lines of "Fade In" then once selected he next song fades in on demand. I always find it harsh when one night I'm chilling with delicate tunes and then I hit next and there is a loud silence between songs if that makes sense.. 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Integration with Amazon Echo.
Userlevel 1
Where Do I even begin? The interface between Sonos and services is unbelievably horrible. Such a great system with the worst possible interface for actually listening to music. Well, I guess if you are a top 40 fan and or listen to just the most common choices of any artist, than you will be fine. Lets start with Spotify which has been my main source of music for the past 6 years or so after weening off of CDs.
Under my music where is Artists? It has songs and albums bit not artists. Where is discover? Where are all my radio stations? Who thought this is a good idea? I tried Apple music which absolutelyII sucks in comparison. But it at least has a more similar interface with Sonos. I am now looking into a system that has Spotify native in it. So disappointed. To much work to use this. The sonos app is next to useless. I find myself listening to junk. Why is there no way to like or favorite anything on any of the services? That is one of the most important elements in using any of the services. It's how they learn what you like and how they perform. How can anyone leave that out? Does anyone that works at Sonos actually use the product ? Great speaker. Great set up. Great tuning. But after that you actually want to listen to music as you are accustomed to on the service of your choice. I guess if you are new to streaming and don't know any better with common taste, I'm sure you're going to be fine with it. If you are going to design a music system that works off of a streaming service, than include all of the service. Thats what we are paying monthly for. If we cant use it, that why pay for it. I can't be the first to point this out.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I like the ability to make up of customise room grouping but also leave the single room speaker configuration alone, say I got 5 speakers in 5 rooms, I want to be able to create various combination for customs group like

Group 1: room 2 and 3
Group 2: room 2, 4, 5
Group 3: room 1, 2, 4
Group 4: room 1,3,4,5
etc..etc...

But I also like to be able to send sound to individual room and still have the grouping around

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Basically the ability to create Favourite Groups. Surely this isn't too big an ask.
My list, not that it will help. I’ve been waiting for these for years!

1: Reorder Favourites, perhaps group into family member folders
2: stream from native applications. Perhaps a $99 Bluetooth zone?
3: better alarm controls. Preset groups just for alarms
4: apple watch app with complications, and prob an android wear
Userlevel 1
Need a night mode for the controller app so it's not so bright at night.

Would be a rare phone or tablet that doesn't have an auto dimming screen; no need to have any app do it.
Badge +1

Would be a rare phone or tablet that doesn't have an auto dimming screen; no need to have any app do it.

Yes, most screens do, ios even have night shift. But it looks like dark mode is coming to ios. So i think there is a need for it.
Quite a basic ask, but how about some skins or different colour options for the controller instead of the blue and black? Shouldn't be too difficult an option to offer?

Oh my god yes to the skins. Alternative colour schemes and buttons would be so amazing. I find it so hard to see what I'm trying to do on there at the moment because the colour scheme is so dark. Similarly, can something be done about the size of the buttons; they are probably the items I use the most after creating playlists, but they're impossible small- especially the 'time slider bar' (whatever that's officially called).
Under the 'manage' drop down, I don't see the need for five options which activate the same pop-up box (albeit a different tab on that pop up). Surely a button which opens the settings box is simpler.

Lastly, that 'rooms tab'. Is there some way this can be hidden if you're not well off enough to own more than one speaker?

Having written these, my conclusion is that there's a lot of wasted space on the interface.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I like the ability to make up of customise room grouping but also leave the single room speaker configuration alone, say I got 5 speakers in 5 rooms, I want to be able to create various combination for customs group like

Group 1: room 2 and 3
Group 2: room 2, 4, 5
Group 3: room 1, 2, 4
Group 4: room 1,3,4,5
etc..etc...

But I also like to be able to send sound to individual room and still have the grouping around

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Basically the ability to create Favourite Groups. Surely this isn't too big an ask.

This . . . exactly what I would like as well and very nicely described. It would be very nice to select a custom grouping just as you would any regular zone without having to go through the trouble of combining them.

Not to beat a dead horse, but there was no option to select integration with Amazon Echo on the survey. I would choose that one above all others ten times over.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I wish I could edit poll and add new things as they come up. But Echo integration is expected to be announced on August 30th.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I wish I could edit poll and add new things as they come up. But Echo integration is expected to be announced on August 30th.

I sure hope you are right! From the articles I've read, there is speculation that Echo integration could be announced on August 30th, but then there is just as much speculation to the contrary. They could also announce their own voice control, app voice control from a smart phone, etc. None of these we would be anywhere near as good as Echo. Do you have any reason beyond the speculation I have read to lean that way? Keeping my fingers crossed!
Badge +1
1. What about adding 'your music' to the navigation bar ? It would save some clicks.
Maybe even control Sonos from Spotify.

2. I'm always asked to quit tv audio when I choose to play from the playbar but not the other way around.
When I accedently hit the Apple TV control The music stops and the party dies. It's a real mood killer.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Another vote for improving grouping/alarms.

It's probably more of an "automation" thing than an "alarm" but what's so hard about "7:00 am, play on Kitchen, Den, and Living Room" and "5:00 pm, play on Living Room and Master Bedroom" ??

Also, Alarms need a "preview" mode - how am I supposed to know how loud my alarm is going to be with just a slider or a number? There should be a "play this source on this speaker/group at this volume" option when setting any alarm.
Support to play Podcasts from other iPhone podcast manager apps than the default. For instance, I use Overcast.

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I guess I need to add toggle to protect queue from deletion and one click play -needs to be added to my wishlist.
Feature request: show and filter on the explicit language tag in e.g. Spotify. Much appreciated! Greets from Holland.
Allow the user to choose whichever version of software they wish to run on their kit, thereby enabling regression if they so wish.
Userlevel 1
Please add a #playatendofqueue option in addition to Add to End of Queue. "Respect the Queue" made simple.
I love my Sonos system but as my eyes get older, I find the text is difficult to read - both size and contrast to background, on all interfaces - computer, tablet, mobile phone. Have I missed a setting somewhere? And trying to navigate the timeline for a song/podcast/audiobook - so difficult to be precise. The ability to lengthen the timeline to gain precision and increase font size would help those of us with ageing eye...... Many thanks.
Userlevel 2
My biggest wish:
Maybe I'm getting old, but I've wanted this for about 7 years since I first got Sonos.

I would like a browse by artist mode that actually SHOWS THE ALBUM COVERS - just like it does when browsing by album. It is just me? because this is how I always arranged all my CDs, artist->album, and I know the album covers often better than the titlres anyway so it would be MUCH more pleasing to browse this way than any of the current options.
But which album cover would represent the artist? Would Bruce Springsteen be scruffy, skinny Born to Run with Clarence over his shoulder, shaved and leather clad from Darkness, or would it be his biceps and butt from Born in the USA? 😉

On a side note, I would agree with an artist picture "artist.jpg" in the appropriate folder like you can do for the album art. Using a particular album as the artist pic may just kill the mood if I'm looking to play Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and I get a picture of the Thin White Duke next to Bowies name. God forbid the Kiss with and without makeup scandal!
Userlevel 2
Adding to above:

Maybe I should call it "browse by album - sorted by artist first"

Currently in browse by artist mode it's not attractive at all. You see a generic gray box to the left of every artists name and a ton of wasted white space to the right and above/below in that row. ...maybe I'm supposed to know how replace that generic gray box but that's all I see at the top level.

So instead of all that wasted space make each row a (perhaps sideways scrollable, or just multi-row) row of album cover thumbnails for that artists. Sure, include artists name above, or let user choose; there's enough space. Or, make it just like the albums view, sorted by artists first then album... so simple.

I understand there's a potential issue where some people just own 1 song from many different artists, or from each album, but it's hardly any less efficient than browsing by artist anyway when that's the case.

In the end it'd be nice if there was a way to distinguish full albums from individual tracks, but understandable if that's not possible since prob dependent on embedded data. But this brings me to the "browse by folder" option already in place, which would be perfect if only the album art was displayed that's within each folder. Takes more user intervention than ideal, but if sorted the way I have my albums sorted on my server within my folder devoted to full albums that'd be perfect