Wishlist for Sonos Controller Improvements

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So on the old ask forum wishlist items would get lost. Thought I would post a topic where people could vote their biggest wish for controller software improvements.

Wishlist Items for Controller

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

291 replies

So if your playing to group then someone plays to the single it drops from group?

Oh, jeez, you're making me have to go play! ;)

OK, quick test. Playing to group from iPad, then to single from phone, the phone plays to both. But can then point iPad to other CCA, and play individually. So groups are dynamic, CCA's aren't bonded together, can be played to separately.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So when group playing it stays grouped until released by other unit playing. Makes sense but can be bit confusing in multi-speaker/controller environment. Probably down road could ask if want to spectate group when play. Pretty early in development.

Thanks chicks
Posted this pic in another thread but it may apply here too. An in-wall controller with permanent power but connected without wires to the Sonos network would be a fantastic option to make changes to volume on the fly without having to navigate into the app say if the phone rings or there is another reason to quickly start or stop play quickly. I find this happens to me quite often.... My Sonos speakers are out of my reach so I have no way to use the existing hard keys.
Please consider adding this product!
I just want to have a last played option-music and audio books!!!!
iTunes can do this so can other cheap wireless units. Why can't sonos?
Multiple forums exist for this, however nothing from sonos.
Badge +1
Posted this pic in another thread but it may apply here too. An in-wall controller with permanent power but connected without wires to the Sonos network would be a fantastic option to make changes to volume on the fly without having to navigate into the app say if the phone rings or there is another reason to quickly start or stop play quickly. I find this happens to me quite often.... My Sonos speakers are out of my reach so I have no way to use the existing hard keys.
Please consider adding this product!

Not really needed, if you are near a speaker, you can use the controlers on the speaker, If you are too far away from the speakers it's a problem?..... what if you are to far away from the controller? adding every meter a wall controler? Use the Macronos app instead, when your phone rings the Sonos system automatic mute, when you enter in your Wifi range (with your phone) the Sonos automaticly starts to play. And on the front of your phone a shortcut to stop the music.... what you want more to controle? 😃
Userlevel 1
Badge
When a playbar is bonded with surround I'd like an option that, when playing music, switches off the surround.. Surround switches back on when TV is selected..

A sort of TV or Line in autoplay, but with the on/off..

AUTO SURROUND SWITCH
Userlevel 1
Badge
Adding to my previous post...

Possibility to decide, in surround or surround+sub mode, which device switch off when playing music.

I could want to hear music from the 2.1 made from the Play1+sub, without breaking the surround group and moving the sub to the stereo play1s (after having put them in stereo).

2 switches on 2 lines.. When one is selected, the other is deselected..

When in music mode:
ONLY PLAYBAR
ONLY SURROUND
Badge +1
You want the same I want in another topic I guess....

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/please-sonos-make-it-possible-to-create-shortcuts-to-speaker-setups-6732934
My systems or controller integration wish list is included below. This is an initial go based on my personal experience and would love for the community to add to this list.

This list is picked based on the principle of moving the Sonos controller up the value chain as part of an integrated home solution while delivering new use cases for customers like myself.

The Integration Wish List
----------------------------------

1) Apple HomeKit - Open home automation platform that is experiencing a high rate of adoption. Integration will allow for use cases like playing a playlist as part of integrated wake up call (e.g. where light are turned on, blinds are lifted and Sonos starts playing a chosen playlist) or geofencing function. The use cases here are potentially endless with third party applications.

2) Phillips Hue - Direct integration with the Hue platform to provide vivid, dynamic, fast and accurate ambient lighting based on what is playing on Sonos. This can be either music or movies.

3) Google Nest - The Nest platform is the most mature and arguably the largest home automation platform at the moment. Integration will enable use cases such using Sonos to broadcast a Nest Protect alarm or to trigger a playlist when you come home, wake up or go to bed.

4) Google Chromecast - Google's Chromecast platform partners includes industry leaders like Netflix and YouTube. Integration with Chromecast inherently allows Sonos to access Google's platform partners. This will allow users to use Sonos to augment their TV's speakers while watching Netflix or listening to music. With some smart processing Sonos can provide surround sound capability with one or more device. The suggested integration with Phillips Hue will certainly provide an extremely unique user experience (integrated TV/movie, sound and ambient lighting).
Minor detail, but I'd like to be able to supply a name for the group, even in the current grouping functionality.

I'd also like to suppress the name of the AMP when modifying the line-in source name. It's always confusing to people: they think the line-in source can only be played in the room where the AMP is wired instead of the entire system. Trust me: I know which AMP is associated with which device, and I don't need the controller to help me remember.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I wish you had ability to move line in sources into the main menu instead of under the line in heading.
@Chris +1! Would also like the ability to move/hide etc other menu items
Options for sorting for playlists and queues:

1. Alphabetic sorting by title
2. Alphabetic sorting by artist
3. Alphabetic sorting by album
4. Sorting by track number

This is basic stuff, many requests have been made for the ability to sort playlists and queues
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't see a need to do this with playlists. Doesn't sound basic to me.
I don't see a need to do this with playlists. Doesn't sound basic to me.

You might not, but others do. Sorting algorithms are *VERY* basic. The code to implement them is really easy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Not sure the need to playlist in this manner

You might not, but others do. Sorting algorithms are *VERY* basic. The code to implement them is really easy.

Without an engineering level of knowledge on exactly how and what Sonos stores in a playlist, nobody can say how easy it is. Example, if a playlist of Spotify songs simply stores a service number and a link, with no local metadata, it would have to perform a metadata query on every track for each of the sorts you list above. For anything but the shortest of playlists, that is not "easy", nor efficient, no matter how simple the sorting code is.
Hello,

Few things I'd like to see tweaked/added please Sonos -

1. Make the 'confirmation of added to list/queue' pane translucent so you can still interact with the app before it fades away. It's really irritating having to wait for it to go!

2. When adding to playlist - allow select/check of more than one playlist to add to. It seems like it's laid out do so already but can only select one. Otherwise why not dismiss the page as soon as a list is selected?

3. Ability to make multiple track selections and copy to other playlists.

4. Search for people's profiles on Spotify (like you can on Spotify)

Please Sonos

Anyone agree?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
how about windows phone support.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
we already know the "roll back.." is not a possible option. its not fair to include it as a lot of us would gladly roll back to v4.3 if we could..
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
If not roll back, then why not the option to stay on the current working version?
2 Requests: The track limit of about 60,000 songs means that 1/3 of my library remains unavailable. I would also LOVE that an Apple TV app be available so that I can access Sonos through the TV and it be visible to my entire party rather than crowding around an iPad or iPhone.
Hello

2 requests / idea :
- for play 5 (gen2) : enabling the Swype control to move to the next/previous favorite radio station. I don't know if it is an hardware or a software issue
- Displaying the current track for each favorite radio station on the favorite page.
hi,

Now that they implement trueplay and Apple Music with IOS controller, I think it would be nice to improve the IOS controller. I am a android and IOS user.My opinion is that the android controller is more userfriendly and is more intgrated with android system. what I miss on IOS:
* integration with control panel
* widget integration
* maybe a feeling, but the performance is better on a android.

kind regards,

Jonay
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
There definitely should be an option in the library to sort (or filter) tracks by YEAR. Its should be added to the headings... currently Artists, Albums, Composers, Songs, Genres. Perhaps an advanced option to display say four of these headings if screen space is an issue.

The only way I've found to do this currently is to create multiple playlists, one for each year, which is rather tedious and inflexible when new tracks are to be added.