Wishlist for Sonos Controller Improvements

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So on the old ask forum wishlist items would get lost. Thought I would post a topic where people could vote their biggest wish for controller software improvements.

Wishlist Items for Controller

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

291 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Shame I can't select all of them (except leave it alone) !!!!
Need a multi-select poll
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I've been asking to be able to limit certain controlers to certain zones for years, along with many many others. It's insane that they don't deliver on this. Should be 3 days of programming, tops.

There are SO MANY controller side changes that could be made but aren't. Most controller functions are not limited by the hardware constraints of older sonos components so there is really no reason not to make such changes. Many are simple 'macros' of existing functions. The mantra to 'keep things simple' can be maintained for those that want it by adding a number of potential functions into 'optional settings'. Users are much more used to such things these days - take you average new car - makes sonos looks like a childs toy in comparison to the tech you find in there and thats not a good thing to me ! I like features and clever, useful, time-saving functions - many are missing in sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Expanding on Camillo - I would like a fade in / fade out on all music changes. Such as your listening to a song and you go in controller and pick a new song. It would be great when you chose the new song instead of the one playing abruptly stopping it would fade into the new song!!! Same deal then when queue is finished - if set to fade just fade out (custom length of time).
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I've been asking to be able to limit certain controlers to certain zones for years, along with many many others. It's insane that they don't deliver on this. Should be 3 days of programming, tops.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
I like the ability to make up of customise room grouping but also leave the single room speaker configuration alone, say I got 5 speakers in 5 rooms, I want to be able to create various combination for customs group like

Group 1: room 2 and 3
Group 2: room 2, 4, 5
Group 3: room 1, 2, 4
Group 4: room 1,3,4,5
etc..etc...

But I also like to be able to send sound to individual room and still have the grouping around
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I would like a 'jukebox' mode for the controller app - so that the default action on pressing a song is to add it to the end of current play queue, rather than obliterate the current play queue. This is how the app used to work ,and it was great. In fact, it was one of the little details that made Sonos a nice system to use. I've always hated how other apps like Spotify worked in this regard.
1. Allow browsing and queuing from a DLNA server .. to overcome the current lame browsing experience given by limitations in the Sonos UI
2. Populate the track and album info facilities with information from sources such as Wikipedia, and or AllMusic.com, and or Last.fm
3. When searching by artist, the results should include albums from the composite artists index
4. Add non-cached tag information into the track info facility; eg. Date released, Composer, Date ripped, Lyrics, etc ... hint: I added the info into the track tags because it is important to me
5. Play|queue from here facility ... or give the mobile controllers a multi-track selection facility
6. Display the composer tag on the Now Playing screen
7. Allow for a Genre->Composer->Album index, ie. additional to the Genre->Artist->Album index which you have
8. Allow for a Composer->Genre->Album index, ie. additional to the Composer->Album index which you have
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
More control over volume sleep and alarm fade in fade out, custom fade time and duration, more graceful fades with dynamic and smaller volume changes.

Lowest volume level (1 tap) on the controller is OK in the night to start sleeping , but there is no fade out, the music is cut abruptly.

Camillo
Badge
My first wish would be that Sonos make a real satisfaction survey about what most customer like and dislike
Dropping such irrelevant pre-defined wish list where only one choice is allowed perfectly reflect how Sonos is considering customer experience and Empathy
Do you consider we are good ?
Yes : perfect Thank you
No : Yo should have missed something, please try again ...
Options for sorting for playlists and queues:

1. Alphabetic sorting by title
2. Alphabetic sorting by artist
3. Alphabetic sorting by album
4. Sorting by track number

This is basic stuff, many requests have been made for the ability to sort playlists and queues
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
how about windows phone support.
Userlevel 1
Where Do I even begin? The interface between Sonos and services is unbelievably horrible. Such a great system with the worst possible interface for actually listening to music. Well, I guess if you are a top 40 fan and or listen to just the most common choices of any artist, than you will be fine. Lets start with Spotify which has been my main source of music for the past 6 years or so after weening off of CDs.
Under my music where is Artists? It has songs and albums bit not artists. Where is discover? Where are all my radio stations? Who thought this is a good idea? I tried Apple music which absolutelyII sucks in comparison. But it at least has a more similar interface with Sonos. I am now looking into a system that has Spotify native in it. So disappointed. To much work to use this. The sonos app is next to useless. I find myself listening to junk. Why is there no way to like or favorite anything on any of the services? That is one of the most important elements in using any of the services. It's how they learn what you like and how they perform. How can anyone leave that out? Does anyone that works at Sonos actually use the product ? Great speaker. Great set up. Great tuning. But after that you actually want to listen to music as you are accustomed to on the service of your choice. I guess if you are new to streaming and don't know any better with common taste, I'm sure you're going to be fine with it. If you are going to design a music system that works off of a streaming service, than include all of the service. Thats what we are paying monthly for. If we cant use it, that why pay for it. I can't be the first to point this out.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I like the ability to make up of customise room grouping but also leave the single room speaker configuration alone, say I got 5 speakers in 5 rooms, I want to be able to create various combination for customs group like

Group 1: room 2 and 3
Group 2: room 2, 4, 5
Group 3: room 1, 2, 4
Group 4: room 1,3,4,5
etc..etc...

But I also like to be able to send sound to individual room and still have the grouping around

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Basically the ability to create Favourite Groups. Surely this isn't too big an ask.
My one wish. I have over 2,000 albums ripped to a music server (Vortexbox). I am old fashioned (and old) and like to listen to albums in their entirety. And I like to just set it to a "shuffle" or "random" play. Would it be possible to add such a function? To be able to just select "albums" ->"shuffle albums" or "random albums" and have one album play then go to another one etc. would be excellent (and one for "random artists", too, although not as important to me). Also, a way to skip an album if I just don't happen to feel like listening to it at the moment. Oh, if there is already this function in your app, I could not find it. Thanks.
I use Folder View a lot and would love to have the Alphabet Quick Find down the right hand side, the same is the Artists section, please...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
All good. 1 and 3 don’t bother me but #2 is a major problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos does not comment on future plans (well rarely). Its actually surprising they publically stated the alexa, google, and airplay intergrations. Actually much more transparent on that then normal. They have been much more transparent on plans - they just aren't going to commit to firm release dates.
Simple UI request: Make the touch points (and the slider graphic) larger and give us more prominent, visual feedback to where we've moved the slider. The control buttons (play/pause, fwd and rev) are a great size, but the slider immediately below them is microscopic and made for munchkin hands.
A kids mode please, so I can give it to my toddler lock it, and he can choose his own music from a preset list usign a very simple UI.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I wish you had ability to move line in sources into the main menu instead of under the line in heading.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I guess I need to add toggle to protect queue from deletion and one click play -needs to be added to my wishlist.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea the new update makes it much more difficult.
Dear all,

It is my first comment on this community but I would like to have the option of limited acces for different kind of users.

So I have 2 kids my wife and me and every now and then I have someone clealing the house.

Wo what I would like is this:
I am the admin, so I can do everything.
My wife can also do everything.
My kids can acces the music in their OWN room, not in the one of their brother or sister and not in the room of the parents.
If possible I would also like to add a volume limit to their controller. Because once they are at their sweet 16, I think the volume will go up 🙂.

And if my cleaning lady is in the house, she can have acces to the radio but not to my server. So limited acces to library.

So to summarize:

users profiles
Per user - max volume
per user - set of sonos devices they can use
per user - services they can use.
•••PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE LET ME ORGANISE THE QUEUE!!•••

Why isn't there a way to organise the queue by Artist, Album, Song etc.?

I love Sonos, but I want to be able to dump my entire music library in the queue and listen to it just like I used to on iTunes - by picking an artist or a genre, or by shuffling and re-discovering an old gem - I can't do that anymore. Instead, everything is in different places and I need to click about 10 things to find anything.

Admittedly, you'd need more space dedicated to the queue to accommodate that, but personally i'm fine with losing the space elsewhere, most of which isn't doing much anyway.

Am I being naive? Is there a reason this can't be done?
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Would love to have a resizable android widget. Also, one which isn't quite so dark?

Take a look at Sonos Widget / Sonos Widget Pro (a third party app in Google Play Store) ... Pro version worth buying just so that you can have one giant (resizeable) widget that shows all of the players and what they are playing... with a few limited controls too