wish list: adding time constaints to volume control on grouped rooms

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I  frequently rearrange my rooms to specific needs and group them for different intentions.  When I do this,  I need to establish the proper volume to each room, this might take more then a few seconds. When grouped rooms are inside the group, I need to have the individual rooms available for more then the default (which is more of less 5 seconds), so that i can adjust the volume to the proper setting. So I need some default in the prefs. that would give me more time to adjust my volumes inside my grouped rooms. 

thanks

10 replies

Which controller are you using?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Sonos S2 version 14.10

Sonos S2 version 14.10

How many rooms (on average) are you needing to adjust? I don’t have any difficulty in adjusting each of the volumes on this many rooms in the iOS controller (see screenshot attached). I was able to slide/adjust the volume on all of the ones shown in the group (except the fixed volume on the Port obviously).

Here’s a gif capture attached, briefly showing the adjustment of individual volume controls in a large-ish Sonos group too, unless I’m misunderstanding the question being asked here? There seems to be enough time to adjust each room volume setting. I perhaps just wouldn’t click off the volume adjustment screen itself, or pause doing the task for too long, as it will eventually timeout and close after a while of inactivity.

exit106,

Which phone/pad/computer are you using?

exit106,

Which phone/pad/computer are you using?

The feature does appear to work the same, with the same/similar timeout period on my iPhone and on my two different (cheap) Android controller devices here. I’m easily able to adjust each/every room volume slider in a fairly large-ish group of 10+ rooms, so it should (hopefully) work similar on most other controllers too, perhaps🤔. However, I will go and double-check a PC controller aswell, when I get a chance.. (albeit that will be after the Wimbledon Final..🎾).

In some cases. I think it maybe the case that a user inadvertently clicks/selects elsewhere on-screen causing their volume control display to exit prematurely, or there is a long pause/period of inactivity, in which case it closes anyway. I’m not sure I would want it hanging around any longer than necessary, but that’s each to their own, I guess.

One would have thought that Sonos would have done some work around the display timeout period amongst their own users/testers to set an optimal time before the group volume display auto-minimises.

Anyhow, it’s back to Wimbledon for me…

FWIW - the desktop controller (albeit slow on my old PC) seems fine to me for grouped room volume control too, it’s display likes to stay open until I move the focus elsewhere.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Yes, very similar on iPad iPhone. I just find that changing rooms during large gatherings or smallish groupings, I need more time to adjust the volume to each speaker’s in the group.  Would like to have more time before the display disappears. 

In some cases. I think it maybe the case that a user inadvertently clicks/selects elsewhere on-screen

Ha! I have trouble with all applications on my iPad and its edge to edge screen. There is almost no way of holding the thing without touching the active area. The Android phone is almost as bad, but I have an aggressive case that gives me more ‘meat’ to hold on to.

I have big hands.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @exit106 

Thanks for your post!

I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration.