Wireless connection to controllers not working

Wireless controllers cannot connect to a sonos component. The wired controller on my pc works fine and I can play music, but all my wireless controllers cannot see the system, or if they do it will be intermittent and then fail to see them again. I have tried rebooting, changing wireless channel. I tried to restart all my wireless devices, this still does not work.

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi Mat, The fact that your Sonos system associates when wired but not wireless could be an indication of wireless interference. Let's try to optimize your wireless landscape by applying the following adjustments: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- * Position the Sonos components away from nearby wireless devices (routers, DECT telephone systems, wireless access points/alarm systems). * Change the 2.4 GHz wireless channel of Sonos as well as your router. Sonos: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1230/~/changing-wireless-channels-on-sonos Router: Type 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in your web browser. Log in and adjust the wireless channel among the wireless settings. (should the router not apply to these settings, check the web for specifics regarding your particular brand). An Apple product such as an AirPort Extreme is normally accessed through the AirPort Utility on your Mac. Rule of thumb: For optimum performance, maintain at least 4 channels between Sonos and the router (eg. 1 and 6, 6 and 11 or 11 and 1). -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Afterwards, attempt to add the components wireless when next to the wired unit. If successful, complete the setup wizard and unplug the wireless component and place it in its designated location. Keep me posted on your progress.
Posting again as previous post did not appear. I tried changing the channel it makes no difference. I can reset the sonos system by turning off my router, the bridge and the speakers. Then starting them up in order of router, bridge and speakers. The wireless component then works almost immediately for a period. I did this yesterday, already today I was unable to get to sonos via the wireless controller (wired works fine). The speakers were actually turned off over night then I turned back on again, also more than 24 hours had passed so the sonos equipment probably had its lease renewed on the router. In my view one of these events have caused wireless connectivity problems. The bridge is near the wireless router but it is not next to it. It is not an intermittent problem once it stops working it seems to stay that way until I do a restart.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi Mat,

Please submit a diagnostic report and include the confirmation number with your reply.
This'll allow me to check the overall status of your Sonos system.
After leaving it running and not turning the power off either the router, the bridge and the speakers, it took until today to not be able to connect any controllers to the system. As before the wired part works fine. I submitted a diagnostic report with number 3127490.
Userlevel 1
Make sure the wireless device you use does not roam to your neighbors or other wifi networks.
It is not roaming to the neighbours wifi. I have it set to only use my wifi where I live.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi Mat,

Did you notice an improvement after performing the optimizations?
If not, you can also contact our Customer Support for further troubleshooting.
I have not performed any optimizations. My controllers have always only ever used my own wifi at home. Just fyi I have android and ipad controllers and they all exhibit the same problem. I contacted customer support and they are getting back to me.
I seem to have exactly the same problem as this. If I boot either my router or the zone bridge then my wireless controllers (all ios based mixture of iphone, ipad and ipod) can once again connect to Sonos. However after a period when trying to access the system from any of the controllers it simply says 'searching for Sonos components, Ensure you're in range ....' I can ping the zone bridge from a wireless laptop. I can also continue to use the controller on a wired PC, only wireless controllers seem to be affected. These devices are definitely connected to the correct router. Any help much appreciated.
I seem to have exactly the same problem as this. If I boot either my router or the zone bridge then my wireless controllers (all ios based mixture of iphone, ipad and ipod) can once again connect to Sonos. However after a period when trying to access the system from any of the controllers it simply says 'searching for Sonos components, Ensure you're in range ....' I can ping the zone bridge from a wireless laptop. I can also continue to use the controller on a wired PC, only wireless controllers seem to be affected. These devices are definitely connected to the correct router. Any help much appreciated.
Oh ... one more thing, My wireless channels are separated as suggested. 6 for Sonos and 11 for router. Furthermore i'm using a BTBusiness Hub3 in case that is of interest.
It is a problem specific to the wireless router I am using Bt Home Hub. So one solution is to get a different router. For android devices. Go into the sonos app settings -> advanced settings, and set connect to SonosNet to Allow Connections. Then go to your wi fi network list and you should see a new network called Sonos_(random stuff). Connect to that wireless network. You should be able to use the controller as expected For iOS there is no workaround it seems.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings