Question

Windows Vista

Hi there.
I have an old version of Windows Vista to control my Sonos at home (besides my iPhone and iPad). But now I can't use it any longer.
Is it possible to "DOWN/BACK-date" the PC-controller, so I still can use my PC as a controller?
I would apreciate your help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
No, you need to upgrade your PC to a supported operating system. For so many reasons, not just Sonos.
It isn't. You can't run a controller that has a different version from the players. Nor can you downgrade the entire system.

As of April, Vista is no longer supported by Microsoft.

Despite not being able to run a Sonos controller you can still use a Vista machine to store a music library.
Thanks!
My daughters iMac, made the job!
Looking recently for a new laptop to replace a Vista machine (10 years old), there seems to be an argument to go to a tablet-based system rather than a laptop. Is there a reason why the desktop controller on a PC / laptop is still needed? Why, for example, can I not use a tablet to manually add radio stations? Is it all to do with Sonos policy or do tablets lack something?
As far as I'm aware, there is no functional difference between the software for a tablet versus a desktop. While I'm not currently a Windows user, there's nothing that can be done on my Mac controller that I can't also do on my iOS controller. They're the same, function wise.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
As far as I'm aware, there is no functional difference between the software for a tablet versus a desktop. While I'm not currently a Windows user, there's nothing that can be done on my Mac controller that I can't also do on my iOS controller. They're the same, function wise.

BrianJ is correct. A mobile device, iOS or Android phone or tablet CANNOT be used to manually add a radio station URL.
Once added they can be played by a mobile controller though.
Furthermore I have no particular idea why this cannot be done on a mobile controller but I'm quite certain it isn't a result of "Sonos policy" as I'm certain they would want this to be possible. There are, presumably, technical reasons why it isn't possible at the moment.
Interesting. Thank you for the clarification, what an odd situation.
Though I agree Microsoft no longer supports Vista I would have hoped Sonos would have an other solution for customers still using older devices and software. I use a windows Vista machine solely to control a touch screen for home automation. It is not connected to the internet but did allow me to control the Sonos from the touchscreen. Why can there not be a version of the Sonos controller that can run on older machines? First I could no longer use my Ipod, now it seems my Iphone 4 can no longer be used and also I cannot use the touch screen any more. I do not want to buy new hardware simply to control my Sonos systems. The old hardware works just fine for the needs I have for those specific machines.
In older discussions I saw other people also suggesting a web browser controller for the Sonos, but I don't seem to be able to find this. Disappointing that Sonos cannot give a solution for those people that still use older software. Time to look for alternatives to Sonos?
Yes you could do that. Which Vista-controlled system are you planning to switch to?
Sorry but I don't think I understand your question. I'm running Windows Vista on a PC that I use only to control my touch screen. Upgrading that system to Windows 10 for instance is not possible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You said you were going to look for an alternative to Sonos and John B was wondering which system you had in mind that also supports Vista.

Probably the cost effective solution is to buy a cheap Pc or notebook running a version of Windows that is still supported as you are not likely to find what you are looking for
any system that supports web browser besides the dedicated apps would do. Not looked yet as I already made a considerable investment in the Sonos Amp and players.
Simply do not understand why Sonos cannot provide a browser based support, even with limited functionality. Someone started to build an browser app on GitHub so should certainly be doable for Sonos developers to do the same.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
What modern browsers can even run on Vista?? And a modern browser would be needed, even then I'm not sure a proper UPnP client could be written entirely in a browser. SSDP needs UDP, and last I checked UDP isn't possible in JavaScript.