Answered

Windows desktop controller not working

• 1 February 2019
  • 7 replies

The Windows desktop controller used to work fine, but it now just displays a square Sonos logo for a few seconds then shuts down without even getting to the point of displaying the main software form. I've downloaded and installed the latest version and have done a full shutdown and restart of my laptop. Any clues?
icon

Best answer by pwt 2 February 2019, 15:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

As a random guess, I’d say some change in a virus protection system is blocking the app from reaching the speakers, likely by doing some port blocking. Have you read through the FAQ that Sonos has?
Thanks for the response. I've followed the instructions under the "Configuring your firewall to work with Sonos" article, and the network and firewall settings seems fine. There might be some other FAQ/support article that deals with my issue, but I haven't been able to find it. I've seen reports of the desktop controller not connecting, but I've not seen any reports of my issue, where the controller doesn't even load (I just get an approx. 500x500 pixel square Sonos logo for a few seconds).
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, GaryJones. If you disable the firewall/security software completely, do the issues persist? If you are still having trouble after running through that article, it might be a good idea to get in contact with our support team. They are able to set up a remote session and make sure everything is working as expected.
Thanks, Keith N. The problem persists with the firewall turned off. I'll contact the support team. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks, Keith N. The problem persists with the firewall turned off. I'll contact the support team. Thanks.
If you haven't already done so, I'd completely uninstall the Sonos Windows app, then reinstall it. As you're probably aware, you won't lose any speaker settings.
pwt, That did the trick; thanks. I hadn't tried that because I was afraid I might lose my settings, but I gave it a go, and it worked. Thanks again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
pwt, That did the trick; thanks. I hadn't tried that because I was afraid I might lose my settings, but I gave it a go, and it worked. Thanks again.
Good. The controller apps are really just like remote controls: they don't store any important Sonos settings, all of which are kept on every Sonos player in an installation.