Answered

Windows Desktop App in the Store

• 19 February 2018
  • 12 replies

Do you have any plans to bring the Sonos controller app for the Windows desktop to the Microsoft Store? I prefer to install software on Windows only from the store, where I'm somewhat guaranteed a better experience than a stand-alone installer - e.g. the app will be nicely sandboxed to not slow down my system, I'll get automatic updates whenever you release any, I'll get notifications/live tiles if you'd like to offer those, etc. Now that Spotify is in the store, it would be great to have Sonos there too.

Please note: I'm referring to your existing desktop app - not a mobile app for Windows phone or anything like that.

Many thanks!
icon

Best answer by Keith N 7 March 2018, 21:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I think it unlikley, never been any mention of it. it would also help Windows 10S users though if they did do so.
Watching topic - I was surprised by this today as well.
Sonos ruled out doing a UWP app nearly two years ago.
https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/windows-10-controller-6730901

In the meantime, Windows Phone has had the last rites.
https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/windows-10-controller-6730901

However – the Windows tablet is still considered alive. With that said I wouldn't mind a more touch-friendly Controller.

Thanks for the link and comment, however I just want to clarify that it is not relevant to my question. I am not asking about Windows Phone, nor am I asking about UWP. You can bring *win32 desktop apps* to the Store, and use the Store as a distribution mechanism with your software that is more reliable, and seamless to the user. I'm looking to see if Sonos is planning on bringing their current, win32 desktop application to the store. This would give me a more trusted, reliable and seamlessly updated app, rather than manually installing separately.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Hectagon. Thanks for posting! At the moment we have no information regarding bringing the Sonos Windows desktop Controller app to the Microsoft App Store. However, I am happy to forward your request along to the team for consideration. Thanks again for the feedback and keep it coming.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If Sonos is going to put an app in the Microsoft Store, it would likely be UWP (Universal Windows Platform) so that it can be used on Windows Phone, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 (and also Xbox One consoles, though I'm sure they don't care too much about that), and the other variations of Windows that are out there (like Windows 10S).

In lieu of Sonos not having their own app in the Microsoft Store, an enterprising individual has created an app in the Microsoft store called Phonos. Originally intended for Windows Phone, it's a UWP app that can be used to control Sonos from any supported device. It's not free, but it does have a trial period so you can give it a try for 30 days. It can't do everything that a regular Sonos controller can do, but it can do many of the things.
Userlevel 2
I am the proud owner of a brand new Microsoft Go tablet.
It runs in S mode and therefore only Store apps can be installed.
This means I cannot install the Sonos controller for now.

@Sonos: The Store is here to stay.
Please enable the Sonos app as a Microsoft Store app asap!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yep, the Surface Go is definitely Windows Store-only. I would imagine that with Sonos' new API now open to all developers, there could be a bunch of new options eventually showing up. But I don't think Sonos will be the one creating any Sonos apps that show up in the Microsoft Store.

As I mentioned in my last post a few months ago, there is a third-party controller called Phonos (originally meant for Windows Phone) that is available in the Microsoft Store, though it does have a price for use beyond the trial period. But you'll need to use another device (iPhone, Android, or a full Windows 10 system) to do any first-time setup tasks, as I don't believe Phonos can help with that.
Userlevel 2
I do not care about initial setup, but I do not want to (have to) rely on a 3rd party developer to use a client for one of the most common operating systems (Microsoft Windows).
I have tried some of them, but the interface is not what I expect from Sonos, and I do not wish to pay for 3rd party for a way to control my Sonos devices. The Windows Store is not something exotic, it is the preferred method of installing applications since Windows 8 was introduced several years ago.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You're not telling me anything new. Unfortunately, Sonos has previously said they have no intention to develop an app for the Microsoft Store. Whether that will change now that there is a Microsoft device that ONLY works with apps from the Store, I don't know... but knowing that Sonos doesn't release any special details or info until they're ready, I wouldn't expect any word from them if they're going to do it until it's done.
I use the Spotify app in S Mode to select Sonos speakers but it doesn't always seem to pick up different rooms which is odd.