windows controller update

• 19 November 2018
  • 6 replies

I'm very disappointed in the 9.2 update to the windows controller. I don't care so much about the colors (although they're terrible) but the layout is broken. It won't save the size and location of the window and it's a real PIA to reset every time I open it. The layout has a lot of wasted space that could be better used for album art, better icons to click on for repeat/shuffle, etc. There is a lot of room for improvement that I don't see happening every time we get an update.

And when will Sonos do something about the volume slider in the apps? It's nearly impossible to fine-tune the volume level. Please add a clickable +/- or something to allow volume change by tiny amounts, in increments similar to the hard button on the speaker itself. At night listening in bed a tiny volume adjustment can make a huge difference in comfort level and that slider just doesn't work well.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
For fine volume control click at either end of the slider rather than trying to pull the slider which as you say is hard to get fine control
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I think the window position not being saved is caused by the fact the app always crashes on exit (though this isn't always obvious).
The latest update on windows has been a disaster for us.
Does anyone know if it's possible to roll back to the previous version??
I don't personally care what it looks like, the old versions just worked SO much better. This one is incredibly slow and unresponsive. I move the volume sliders and there is a full second lag before anything happens. Same with adding to the queue, or anything really. No such troubles at all with the previous versions!
No way to roll back. However, it sounds like you are experiencing network problems, specifically IP conflicts. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
Stuart_W: Thank you!!! It's not at all intuitive, but I am happy to know the trick.
Let me reiterate the importance of Stuart_W's last paragraph. If your router was in a state that it was handing out duplicate IPs, it likely will get in that state again.