Windows 7 Support Ends Today (from Microsoft)

• 14 January 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Today, over ten years after Windows 7 shipped, is when Microsoft will officially drop support for it. The Sonos app still works on it, but sadly the Setup features are gone these days, which is ironic as no mobile platform (that can do Sonos Setup) will ever be supported by its maker for a decade, or anything like it.

Don’t know how much longer Sonos will support Win7 as a platform now its maker has dropped it.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I suppose it’s ironic in a way, but Sonos support has never been solely based on which OS remained supported by their makers the longest, but by the volume of users who actually use the app/application to perform certain functions.  I imagine Microsoft has kept up support because a significant volume of users were still using the OS (and possibly paying them support/license fees to do so).

You are correct thought that both Apple and Google seem to create new versions and drop support of old ones not based so much on usage and functionality changes, but to generate sales.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I saw an article somewhere recently that the free Windows 7 to 10 upgrade was still active and free.

I have on my list for the weekend to boot up every computer in my junk pile and see if it has Windows on it and do the upgrades. I may never use it but at least it will be there when I finally donate the computers somewhere.

I do wish we saw something equally responsible on updates from the Android and Apple sides.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I do wish we saw something equally responsible on updates from the Android and Apple sides.

Google/Android.

Apple.

The information is always available. You just need to look for it, or know the terms when purchasing devices. Recently I upgraded my phone recently and remember seeing “Pixel phones get Android version updates for at least 3 years from when the device first became available on the Google Store.” while purchasing it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

It is nice they tell you when your OS support ends.

Not so nice when that means the device no longer supported, and no further OS updates will be available. Security flaws will go unpatched and applications may well quit getting updates as well.

Microsoft’s offer of a new, free OS version is one of the best things they have ever done. 

Userlevel 2

I saw an article somewhere recently that the free Windows 7 to 10 upgrade was still active and free.

I have on my list for the weekend to boot up every computer in my junk pile and see if it has Windows on it and do the upgrades. I may never use it but at least it will be there when I finally donate the computers somewhere.

I read this in the March 2020 (don’t ask) copy of PCPro magazine, they just give a link to the Microsoft Windows 10 download page:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

I don’t know if you can roll back if it doesn’t work.

Last week I was able to update an old laptop. The process required several painless hours after a huge download. So far I have not had any nasty issues and I notice that there is more free disk space. I suspect that a lot of legacy, now trash, operating system files were deleted. The now deleted files might make roll back difficult or impossible. A few years ago I updated a desktop and did not have any issues.

I downloaded the whole mess to a USB stick that I can take to multiple systems. If you boot from the USB, W10 will delete everything on your hard drive and load W10 from scratch. If you execute setup from the USB, W10 will replace W7 and keep most of your legacy programs intact. There are a few Windows components that are thoroughly obsolete and will not be kept.