Question

Windows 10 Sonos Controller won't launch, stuck on icon

• 13 September 2020
  • 8 replies

The controller recentky stopped working, a large S1 box would appear in the center of the screen, become a smaller box on the left and get stuck there.

I installed S2 but the same happened. Restarting Windows doesn't help. Removed S1, uninstalled and reinstalled S2 to no avail. 

The controller is authorised for private network by the firewall.

Any one had this issue?

It works on another laptop and on Android.

Thanks

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @Miki2020.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue as well as the troubleshooting steps that you did, let me help and try to figure this out.

Was there any change made to Windows, or if any Windows Updates were installed recently?

First off, check the device’s Wi-Fi settings (if wireless), and ensure it is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as Sonos.

If Internet Connection Sharing is enabled on a computer (Windows or Mac), the Sonos app will likely fail to connect to their Sonos system.

Let’s try to check and make sure that this disabled, here are the steps:

1. Open Network Connections.
  2. ​​​​Right-click the network adapter with the active internet connection (Ethernet or Wi-Fi adapter)
  3. Select Properties.
  4. Click the Sharing tab.
  5. Uncheck Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection.
  6. Click OK to finish.

It’ll be very helpful if you can possibly submit a diagnostic report using the computer, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

Sonos App > More Options > Submit Diagnostic

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to reach out.

Thanks Annazel. I can confirm I am not sharing Internet connections on the computer. But it is probably not relevant: I cannot even launch the app on that computer. It gets stuck with the orange Sonos 2 box. I can launch several Sonos processes, they all fail to open the app.

The app works well on another computer and my phone on the same WiFi.

Because the app doesn't even start, I cannot run a diagnostic.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @Miki2020.

Thanks for your immediate response and for giving the above suggestions a try.

The succeeding steps have something to do with checking errors in the Windows Application viewer and additional software details needed.

At this point, I would recommend reaching out to us through Sonos Support, so you continue working with us in real-time to expedite the process.

I personally suggest calling in our phone folks, for they have more resources available on their system for advanced troubleshooting, the tools our agents can use through a live troubleshoot particularly sharing the controller screen would be very useful in this case.

When calling, you can help us by also having the Windows computer available so we have the option to perform any hands-on troubleshooting and testing as needed.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Take a look at the log files (the newest xml file) at

c:\ProgramData\SonosV2,_Inc\runtime

or

c:\ProgramData\Sonos,_Inc\runtime

depending on which version you ran. From the description this doesn’t sound like anything to do with network configuration.

Thanks controlav. It mentions an access violation. Shall I copy the entire log here? Its’ 100+ lines (It doesn’t speak much to me)

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Thanks controlav. It mentions an access violation. Shall I copy the entire log here? Its’ 100+ lines (It doesn’t speak much to me)

No, only Sonos can diagnose crashes in their app (which is what an access violation is). Does confirm it is crashing on your PC though.

I’d be tempted to make sure all updates to the win OS are installed, then delete the Sonos app completely, and perform a reboot of the PC. Once the PC comes back up, I’d download a fresh copy of the Sonos app, and try running it again. My guess is that either the Sonos app is looking for something that isn’t on your PC, or that somehow the Sonos download is corrupt in someway. That being said, I’m not a programmer like controlav is, and certainly don’t have his deeper knowledge of the system. 

I too have this issue often. It fixes with a reboot or a full uninstall (then purge of registry and files) then a reinstall. Been happening since the S1 days. 

#tagging this post for myself