Answered

Windows 10 Controller

Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Do you have plans to ship a Windows 10 Store app which can be used from multiple Windows devices (PC, Phone, Xbox) to control the Sonos experience?

We are a Windows household and the desktop controller that exists for PC today is heavy and not very touch friendly. The third party Windows Phone app, Phonos, is fills a void, but not nearly as feature rich as the Android or iOS app. This has been requested for several years (https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/support-windows-8-rt-for-surface-tablet-and-windows-phone-8-for-mobile-devices-4593709) and the product management team does not address this gap beyond a blanket we have no news statement. I understand that choices have to be made. If you do not plan to address this in the net 12 months then can you at least make your API public with your apps being first and best examples of how to use that API so others can fill the gap for you?

Instead of a lot of "+1" and "me too" threads please show your support by voting on the poll below so we can get a count of the number of people who are interested in a Windows 10 app.
icon

Best answer by Kenneth R 15 April 2016, 19:05

View original

Would you use a Windows 10 Sonos controller app?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

411 replies

Badge
I will get a SONOS Play:1 in a few days and it would be awesome if there was a Windows 10 App. My girlfriend and I are both using Windows 10 Mobile and our tablet runs Windows 10, too.

EDIT: Just read the answer, what a shame. I will consider to sell my SONOS (it's a present from a contract extension).
Badge
I re-registered today to lend my support for this plea for a sensible outcome here.

I own a Play:3 and :1, and am looking for another Play:1, Sub and Bar for my home cinema setup current in planning. However, I have been holding out for a refresh of the controller before diving in and I personally cannot invest at present.

As an aside, my household has 3 windows phones (me, my partner, my work phone), 2 Win 10 machines, 1 Win 10 Laptop, 1 win 8.1 laptop (work), a Surface Pro, a ASUS Win 10 touch screen netbook and Kindle Fire (I won't go into gaming machine). You can see we are invested in Microsoft then and it's easier to sell the Sonos kit than start buying iPads etc.

By far, the modern UI and universal search features on the Android/Kindle version are superior to the desktop app which is clunky and aged and does baffle guests. It isn't touch friendly for the touch screen machines.

Now, I do my research, I know the Bose wireless speaker solutions don't have UWP apps either, so I am stalled. I won't invest any more until I have something that works for me. Given this announcement, I feel Bose may get there first however.

Even if the desktop app got a UI overhaul, introduced touch friendly controls and universal searching, it would go some way to supporting this decision (until at least resource is freed up for Sonos to correctly address it). Unfortunately that won't get rid of the need to update the blasted think every couple of days when you update the Apple music integrations AGAIN. Yet another slap in the face thanks!

Now, it's been mentioned here a few times. If you are focused on iOS development, go for it. Project Islandwood (https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bridges/ios) should allow any developer worth their salt to convert it fairly easily. I'm sure there are plenty of contractors out in California that can help you out say twice a year for say $20,000? That must be a fraction of the research budget no?
UWP would allow all windows based devices, would mean Xbox one support too!
Userlevel 1
Badge
I`d like to publicly thank SONOS for abandoning Windows as a supported platform going forward. This decision has forced me to look again at my needs and at alternatives and because of this I have realised how slow, clunky and inflexible Sonos is for my needs compared to the alternatives. I have now resurrected my Sequeezebox system, and it is far superior both in function and in sound quality. For me at least, Sonos was a very poor choice.
I`d like to publicly thank SONOS for abandoning Windows as a supported platform going forward. This decision has forced me to look again at my needs and at alternatives and because of this I have realised how slow, clunky and inflexible Sonos is for my needs compared to the alternatives. I have now resurrected my Sequeezebox system, and it is far superior both in function and in sound quality. For me at least, Sonos was a very poor choice.

Gee, that's swell!
Userlevel 1
Badge

Gee, that's swell!

I`m glad you think so!

Bye!
There is only one type of computers where sales are not going down at the moment... 2in1 machines like the yoga's from lenovo, 360x's from hp and the surface line form MS. This is the PC's that I would like a better controler for. Not my phone, but all my touch friendly PC's 🙂 (and yes it will work on the phone as well but that's an afterthought)
Badge
Just to update my post from a few months ago, I have now trailed the Denon HEOS solution which is similar, if not better, on sound quality, cheaper and offers more function such as aux in and bluetooth. I contacted their support to ask about UWP controllers, and whilst there isn't one yet, it is in development. I'm therefore moving over to them. Look out for my bridges, :1 and :3 on eBay UK all.

It's a shame, Sonos, I like your products but the market is moving on and versatility is a must.

I'll repeat, even a UX refresh on the desktop app with universal search would be enough for me, but you just aren't interested and there seems no other way to proceed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Just to update my post from a few months ago, I have now trailed the Denon HEOS solution which is similar, if not better, on sound quality, cheaper and offers more function such as aux in and bluetooth. I contacted their support to ask about UWP controllers, and whilst there isn't one yet, it is in development. I'm therefore moving over to them. Look out for my bridges, :1 and :3 on eBay UK all.

It's a shame, Sonos, I like your products but the market is moving on and versatility is a must.

I'll repeat, even a UX refresh on the desktop app with universal search would be enough for me, but you just aren't interested and there seems no other way to proceed.

Horses for courses. If that particular nag suits your course then go for it. I'm not sure Denon's track record would fill me with oodles of confidence but at least you'll be au-fait with selling audio gear on flea bay.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I do wonder if Sonos will just sit back and leave the PC with the very dated Sonos Windows controller. They could modernise that and at the same time make it available to the entire MS Windows platform. any other action would be pointless. So if Sonos support and respect MS as they state, PROVE IT?
Windows is still the OS of choice. Embrace it and make us WP users happy at the same time.
Cost? close to nil...
Care to explain how Sonos could build an alternative Windows controller "available to the entire MS Windows platform" -- which implies a desktop Win32 application -- that somehow just works on a Windows Phone at nil cost? Sonos have -- wisely IMHO -- decided not to proceed with WP/UWP development. WP's days are surely numbered; its market share is tiny.
Gavin, Sonos has been 100% clear on their stance in regards to a Universal Windows App. Is there something about their announcement which you do not understand?
I've bought a pair of sonos play 5 a few months ago.. I also have a windows Phone and installed the paid version phonos as controller from the windows store on it. There is now a free version Phonos Universal Preview available that works fine windows mobile 10.
Userlevel 1
Care to explain how Sonos could build an alternative Windows controller "available to the entire MS Windows platform" -- which implies a desktop Win32 application -- that somehow just works on a Windows Phone at nil cost? Sonos have -- wisely IMHO -- decided not to proceed with WP/UWP development. WP's days are surely numbered; its market share is tiny.

Simple; leave the current win32 app alone for XP/7 users,then use Project Centennial to convert it to a UWP that will work on Windows 10 desktop, phone, Xbox, hololense, and IOT with limited development.

edit: Link for the lazy
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=51691
Badge
That's not what Project Centennial is. You probably mean Islandwood (or the cancelled Astoria) see the link in my post above.
Badge
I do support the sentiment however.
Userlevel 1
That's not what Project Centennial is. You probably mean Islandwood (or the cancelled Astoria) see the link in my post above.

Actually, this is exactly what Centennial is, to convert win32 apps to UWP. I also know that Islandwood is used to convert an IOS app (and Astoria for Android) but Centennial is easy peasy in this situation.
Badge
Centennial is to deliver x32 apps via the,store. They don't magically become UWP and more touch friendly. The unfriendly desktop app I abhore would be just the same/worse on a small screen.. 😞
Userlevel 1
Simply, I request a Sonos Windows 10 app. A Sonos System without a controller is useless. I have an old CR 200 for which I paid more than US 500! these days. So Sonos should treat their long time clients as clients and not as cashcows. I am ready to be second in line... behind fancy overpriced iOS "tools". But still... I want to be respected as client... and 2016 is a good year to do so. Thank you Sonos for your appreciation.
Userlevel 1
Simply, I request a Sonos Windows 10 app. A Sonos System without a controller is useless. I have an old CR 200 for which I paid more than US 500! these days. So Sonos should treat their long time clients as clients and not as cashcows. I am ready to be second in line... behind fancy overpriced iOS "tools". But still... I want to be respected as client... and 2016 is a good year to do so. Thank you Sonos for your appreciation.

... to clarify I mean a Windows Phone App (not a PC controller).

... to clarify I mean a Windows Phone App (not a PC controller).

Sonos has stated in no uncertain terms, in clear and concise language, that they are not going to develop either a Windows Phone or Universal Windows Platform app. Is there something about this statement that you find unclear or misleading?

And PS - List price on a Sonos CR200 was $349, dropped from $399 for the CR100. If you paid US $500, you got ripped off.
Userlevel 1
I understood your clear statement perfectly well! However, battling for clients myself in a very competitive environment. I do appreciate client response and request. The investment for such an app would probably not hamper your profit?!

Thanks for the challenge ... I checked the real price: I got the CR100 (not CR 200) controller for .. Swiss Francs 720 plus 70 for the cradle in total Swiss Francs 790 on Sept. 1, 2007 at your licenced dealer "voice 70" in Winterthur, Switzerland (there were only a very few if not one only). This amount represented at that time exactly USD 655.85. Thank you for your appreciation ... and yes knowing now your US price... I got ripped off by your licenced dealer.

Not to get a wrong impression, I was (and still am) "OK" to pay such amount for a - at that time very unique - music system. No bad feelings,

I would just like to mention that 2007 is history as today you got plenty competition and ... please note that by consulting forums, my request/wish is shared by many others in your community and many others not bothering to raise their voice in forums.

PS: Just an idea. Why don't you insert a link to "Phonos" on your webpage? That would help "us" and you could count the clicks and verify whether is makes sense to develop an app sometime in the future.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I understood your clear statement perfectly well! However, battling for clients myself in a very competitive environment. I do appreciate client response and request. The investment for such an app would probably not hamper your profit?!

Thanks for the challenge ... I checked the real price: I got the CR100 (not CR 200) controller for .. Swiss Francs 720 plus 70 for the cradle in total Swiss Francs 790 on Sept. 1, 2007 at your licenced dealer "voice 70" in Winterthur, Switzerland (there were only a very few if not one only). This amount represented at that time exactly USD 655.85. Thank you for your appreciation ... and yes knowing now your US price... I got ripped off by your licenced dealer.

Not to get a wrong impression, I was (and still am) "OK" to pay such amount for a - at that time very unique - music system. No bad feelings,

I would just like to mention that 2007 is history as today you got plenty competition and ... please note that by consulting forums, my request/wish is shared by many others in your community and many others not bothering to raise their voice in forums.

PS: Just an idea. Why don't you insert a link to "Phonos" on your webpage? That would help "us" and you could count the clicks and verify whether is makes sense to develop an app sometime in the future.

Just to be clear jgatie is not a Sonos employee not is he "Sonos". They are clearly identified under their usernames

There are other solutions to control your Sonos costing very little besides iOS devices, PCs, MACs or Android phones

I suggest you research those - Sonos have made a hard nosed business decision and although "Never say never" it would seem unlikely they will reverse that decision at least in the near term (next few years).

So you might as well find another solution as your Windows phone is not going to be supported by Sonos anytime soon.

And I'm sure you appreciate why Sonos don't link to a 3rd party, unsupported and un-endorsed, app on their official website. They do, however, allow mention of those things on their forums but you won't find them explicitly recommending them.
As stated, I am not employed by Sonos, nor am I Sonos themselves. I will however state unequivocally that you are wasting your time asking Sonos to produce something they have publicly stated they are not going to produce. You may as well ask Pepsi to make you a bottle of Coke, you would have a better chance.

As to the competition? Could you point to the competition which has released a Windows Phone or UWP app?

I'll be waiting.
Badge
If you re-read my posts, I did check the competition, and they do have UWP in development.

What I will point out however, is this thread is about a modern windows 10 app request. An OS that currently holds 19% of the desktop market. https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomb=&qpcustom=&qpcustomd=0

As a happy coincidence, this OS enjoys shared code with tablets, convertibles and yes WM10.

Now, in the same link note the OSX share of just 4%. Is there a Sonos app for that? Hmm well yes it does appear so.

So, all we are really asking for is the same attention is placed on modernising the desktop application, and if sonos can sweep up the touchables/2in1's and mobiles added the same time is it a bad thing?