Answered

Windows 10 Controller

Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Do you have plans to ship a Windows 10 Store app which can be used from multiple Windows devices (PC, Phone, Xbox) to control the Sonos experience?

We are a Windows household and the desktop controller that exists for PC today is heavy and not very touch friendly. The third party Windows Phone app, Phonos, is fills a void, but not nearly as feature rich as the Android or iOS app. This has been requested for several years (https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/support-windows-8-rt-for-surface-tablet-and-windows-phone-8-for-mobile-devices-4593709) and the product management team does not address this gap beyond a blanket we have no news statement. I understand that choices have to be made. If you do not plan to address this in the net 12 months then can you at least make your API public with your apps being first and best examples of how to use that API so others can fill the gap for you?

Instead of a lot of "+1" and "me too" threads please show your support by voting on the poll below so we can get a count of the number of people who are interested in a Windows 10 app.
icon

Best answer by Kenneth R 15 April 2016, 19:05

View original

Would you use a Windows 10 Sonos controller app?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

411 replies

Thank you for finally answering this question. I now know to leave sonos behind, sadly. I have loved my sonos system but it's clear you are moving in a direction that doesn't value customers like myself. I have used the windows desktop controller on a windows 10 tablet and the touch experience is terrible compared to the touch-specific controllers for other platforms. It's clear that Sonos is on the decline as a company and I can't continue to buy expensive hardware from a company that I don't have confidence in.
My Sonos has been collecting dust after I bought a Raspberry Pi and installed a media service on it which anyone on my network can access through a web browser. Not supporting Windows 10 was the final nail in the coffin. My Play 5 is getting sold to a poor soul tomorrow.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Only took them three years to answer. Thanks Sonos, you're so wrong and I'm never going to recommend your devices to anyone ever again, but thanks for finally actually saying no. Next time, maybe say this straight away to avoid thousands of frustrated customers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
The Universal version of my app is now available in Preview: http://phonos.org/universal - try it out.
I love my Surface. I'd love a better App for Windows.

Some of you have been asking about a native Windows Phone controller app for Sonos, and we’ve been slow to provide a clear answer. We’re sorry about that. The truth of the matter is that up until now we’ve been unclear internally on this very question. In fact, it’s been the source of many passionate debates because we recognize that some Sonos owners are also Windows Phone users.

In the end, however, we’ve made a decision that Sonos is not going to build a Windows Phone 8 app nor are we planning to build a Windows 10 “universal” app. We’ll of course continue to support the Windows desktop controller. We’re big fans of the work Microsoft is doing across many areas, including mobile, voice control, AI, VR and of course the Groove music service, available on Sonos.

We know this is super frustrating for Windows Phone owners anxious for more native apps on the platform, but like other companies we've had to place our bets. Our focus right now is on Voice and Paid Streaming Services, and we’re exploring quite a few innovative ways to experience and control your music – on your device and off.

We’ll be sure to keep this group informed of our progress.

Thanks,
Kenneth
that's a shame. I was looking forward to filling my house that I've just moved into. I was so confident that you'd make a UWP that I almost splurged 600 on 4 play 1's. seems like I've dodged a bullet. thanks for letting us know.
that's a shame. I was looking forward to filling my house that I've just moved into. I was so confident that you'd make a UWP that I almost splurged 600 on 4 play 1's. seems like I've dodged a bullet. thanks for letting us know.

It's a pity that Sonos don't make a cheap hardware controller anymore, although I think a second-hand cheap "touch-screen" android device purchased from eBay etc. could be used just for that purpose and left at home... I reckon you could do that for less than £20 (or equivalent in whatever currency you use) ..That way nicbirch you would still be able to buy and play the best multiroom, multi-speaker wireless audio system that is available for home use, today.

It appears to me to be a shame to miss out on so much, for so little.

It's a pity that Sonos don't make a cheap hardware controller anymore, although I think a second-hand cheap "touch-screen" android device purchased from eBay etc. could be used just for that purpose and left at home... I reckon you could do that for less than £20 (or equivalent in whatever currency you use) ..That way nicbirch you would still be able to buy and play the best multiroom, multi-speaker wireless audio system that is available for home use, today.

It appears to me to be a shame to miss out on so much, for so little.

I do have androids that I could use, but I'm looking forward to the integration of the windows platform with apps related to streaming music (which sonos could obviously have been a part of) e.g. Cortana, xbox. I'm not going to invest in a system that is refusing to integrate, when I'm pretty sure that someone else will recognise the potential and build a system that is useable with the whole windows platform. All Microsoft needs to do is release an audio version of their display adapters and hey presto, the system exists. They're getting their act together, so I don't think it'll be long before I'm telling Cortana to play some music through my wireless speakers whilst at the same time turning heating on and locking the back door 😃
Hi,

Really disappointing to hear Sonos is not going to release a Windows universal app.
I'm a Windows developer myself and Microsoft has released tools to convert ios apps to Wiindows without starting from scratch. Advising users to use a third party app is simply unacceptable and just ignoring user requests.

There is also a topic about problems with the Groove music service which I also use. Songs are skipped in the middle of the song. This problem is still not solved after 3 months ???

Maybe Sonos can just let us know they won't support Windows at all.

I was planning to add Play 1 speakers to my setup but after reading such news this isn't going to happen for sure.
Hi,

Really disappointing to hear Sonos is not going to release a Windows universal app.
I'm a Windows developer myself and Microsoft has released tools to convert ios apps to Wiindows without starting from scratch. Advising users to use a third party app is simply unacceptable and just ignoring user requests.

There is also a topic about problems with the Groove music service which I also use. Songs are skipped in the middle of the song. This problem is still not solved after 3 months ???

I was planning to add Play 1 speakers to my setup but after reading such news this isn't going to happen for sure.

My point is that some people are waiting for some future developments in other areas that may, or may not happen and clearly in the case of Sonos the company have made their decision and announced it. Can't say fairer than that, I guess, even if we disagree with it.

I haven't seen any other company announcements elsewhere yet, so I was simply suggesting that a user could still go out and buy the Sonos products and use them right now. It's about adapting to such announcements, especially in the absence of anything else ... We can't all have everything we want, just how we want it... and my thoughts are you maybe waiting months ... and many of them.

By all means wait around for the future and see what the developments bring in the coming weeks, months or years, but my point was you could be listening to a great multi-room, multi-speaker system right now and the Sonos products do tend to hold their price rather well for when you decide to move onto your next option.

I myself, want to buy the new iPhone 7, when it comes out, but as an interim I have bought an iPhone 5s... It could be that Apple delay the launch of the 7 due to technical reasons etc...but when I do eventually get it I will give the 5s to my son. I'm not just going to sit around with no phone and wait to see what happens.

I think it's crazy to deny yourself the 'experience' of Sonos, because of some limitation that stands in the way. I have many products from numerous companies to satisfy my technology needs and yes these things can cost a tidy penny, but there are no pockets in shrouds.

Many people here, clearly in this thread, want Sonos Speakers and products, otherwise they 'most likely' would not be part of this community forum, so why deny themselves so much, simply because the Windows mobile platform is excluded, especially when there are so many other options and cheap methods to resolve this.

I think some are therefore missing out, right now and perhaps for some time to come, but I sincerely hope you all get what you wish for... But why wait for the next bus to come along (or the one after that), when you could start walking.
Shame really, I was going to look at putting something like Sonos in when we remodelled the Kitchen and Living room. Too bad you guys are happy to ignore 200 million active users. Near 35000 people have viewed this page and yet it is deemed that there is not enough interest.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi,

My point is that some people are waiting for some future developments in other areas that may, or may not happen and clearly in the case of Sonos the company have made their decision and announced it. Can't say fairer than that, I guess, even if we disagree with it.

I haven't seen any other company announcements elsewhere yet, so I was simply suggesting that a user could still go out and buy the Sonos products and use them right now. It's about adapting to such announcements, especially in the absence of anything else ... We can't all have everything we want, just how we want it... and my thoughts are you maybe waiting months ... and many of them.

By all means wait around for the future and see what the developments bring in the coming weeks, months or years, but my point was you could be listening to a great multi-room, multi-speaker system right now and the Sonos products do tend to hold their price rather well for when you decide to move onto your next option.

I myself, want to buy the new iPhone 7, when it comes out, but as an interim I have bought an iPhone 5s... It could be that Apple delay the launch of the 7 due to technical reasons etc...but when I do eventually get it I will give the 5s to my son. I'm not just going to sit around with no phone and wait to see what happens.

I think it's crazy to deny yourself the 'experience' of Sonos, because of some limitation that stands in the way. I have many products from numerous companies to satisfy my technology needs and yes these things can cost a tidy penny, but there are no pockets in shrouds.

Many people here, clearly in this thread, want Sonos Speakers and products, otherwise they 'most likely' would not be part of this community forum, so why deny themselves so much, simply because the Windows mobile platform is excluded, especially when there are so many other options and cheap methods to resolve this.

I think some are therefore missing out, right now and perhaps for some time to come, but I sincerely hope you all get what you wish for... But why wait for the next bus to come along (or the one after that), when you could start walking.

Have to agree. I have made the argument for a Windows app on this (or similar) threads for many years now and while I'm disappointed with Sonos' decision it is not the issue it was a few years ago. There are good third party apps out there, Phonos & Chirp to name a couple, and even if they are not free the price pales to insignificance compared to even a single Play 1.

The era of the app appears to be on the decline in any case, looked through my app list the other day and was amazed at how few I actually use, and that's on a platform with an "app gap". I'm intrigued as to what Sonos will come up with to compete with low cost smart solutions such as Amazon's Echo which offer superior connectivity at a fraction the price, at the expense of sound quality admittedly. I think Sonos are probably correct to not be focusing on app development at the moment, they have an awful lot of work to do to continue justifying their premium pricing and I think the only way to do so is to become much more seamless, something apps simply cannot offer. I only hope that whatever they are planning for a post-app world is available for all to use regardless of their choice of OS.

I would just like to thank Sonos once again for the honesty shown, even if a little late. I for one appreciate it and will continue to use my system, with the Chirp app until the current research has borne fruit. Perhaps though Sonos could see their way to giving some support to the people working to provide third party support on Windows, numerous devs seem to be having trouble with music services. As these developers are working to extend the reach of your product a little support to make the third party apps the best they can possibly be seems like a no-brainer.
With very low cost (iOS bridge) to create and huge install base (270 million), I'm really surprised that Sonos made such stupid decision. Wake up, SONOS, Please!
With very low cost (iOS bridge) to create and huge install base (270 million), I'm really surprised that Sonos made such stupid decision. Wake up, SONOS, Please!

The vast majority of those 270 million are desktops and laptops that run just fine with the current Windows Controller. Even with a "low cost" to porting a new app, there is obviously no gain to spending that low cost if it is only going to gain them the miniscule Windows mobile market.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Finally.

Its good to see that the effort has paid off and Sonos have finally come clean.

All completely avoidable. I sincerely hope this episode has taught Sonos something about how they interact with the community for future.
Badge
Bonjour,
Je trouve cela extrêmement désinvolte et méprisant. Quand j'ai acheté mes premiers Sonos, le revendeur a téléphoné à Sonos France pour demander si une application Windows était prévue. La réponse a été clairement OUI. Et maintenant Sonos fait volte-face. Il y a tromperie caractérisée. Le support, joint à plusieurs reprises, m' a dit n'avoir aucune information... Comment vendre des produits Sonos avec un contrôleur Sonos pour Windows à l'ergonomie datant de la fin des années 1990 ou du début des années 2000? Il faut que Sonos informe clairement ses futurs clients que les produits vendus sont exclusivement conçus pour Apple et Android. Les produits devraient être vendus avec une tablette Apple ou Android offerte par Sonos.

Some of you have been asking about a native Windows Phone controller app for Sonos, and we’ve been slow to provide a clear answer. We’re sorry about that. The truth of the matter is that up until now we’ve been unclear internally on this very question. In fact, it’s been the source of many passionate debates because we recognize that some Sonos owners are also Windows Phone users.

In the end, however, we’ve made a decision that Sonos is not going to build a Windows Phone 8 app nor are we planning to build a Windows 10 “universal” app. We’ll of course continue to support the Windows desktop controller. We’re big fans of the work Microsoft is doing across many areas, including mobile, voice control, AI, VR and of course the Groove music service, available on Sonos.

We know this is super frustrating for Windows Phone owners anxious for more native apps on the platform, but like other companies we've had to place our bets. Our focus right now is on Voice and Paid Streaming Services, and we’re exploring quite a few innovative ways to experience and control your music – on your device and off.

We’ll be sure to keep this group informed of our progress.

Thanks,
Kenneth
Bonjour,
Je trouve cela extrêmement désinvolte et méprisant. Quand j'ai acheté mes premiers Sonos, le revendeur a téléphoné à Sonos France pour demander si une application Windows était prévue. La réponse a été clairement OUI. Et maintenant Sonos fait volte-face. Il y a tromperie caractérisée. Le support, joint à plusieurs reprises, m' a dit n'avoir aucune information... Comment vendre des produits Sonos avec un contrôleur Sonos pour Windows à l'ergonomie datant de la fin des années 1990 ou du début des années 2000? Il faut que Sonos informe clairement ses futurs clients que les produits vendus sont exclusivement conçus pour Apple et Android. Les produits devraient être vendus avec une tablette Apple ou Android offerte par Sonos

User656623,

Having a certain position at the time of purchase/sale is one thing, but I'm sure you know that in all hardware manuals and documentation that accompany the products ..it says they are sold 'subject to change' ...and what you were told by Sonos France was the position, as they saw it at the time.

The decision has been made and if you want Sonos to sell their product with an iPhone/tablet device etc, then you and other customers are going to have to pay the extra cost.

Personally I think there is more choice as it stands at the moment... You can always try to sell your products, if you are not happy about the windows mobile development being called off, but it appears you have managed to 'control' all your devices up until now.

All you are lacking really is a little convenience, but that is far outweighed by the audio experience that Sonos products can produce in the home.
Badge
SONOS announce a true Windows APP available on smartphones and tabs...

The Sonos controller does run on Mac (PC), Android, Windows (PC) and iOS ... Just not on Windows Mobile... The advert you show is not technically misleading the customer.
Userlevel 1
Badge

The Sonos controller does run on Mac (PC), Android, Windows (PC) and iOS ... Just not on Windows Mobile... The advert you show is not technically misleading the customer.

Some would argue they are being economical with the truth, but that's not uncommon for tech companies. I think were asking a little too much to have it pointed out this is only Legacy win32 support. I`m impressed we even got a proper response from Sonos - asking for anything else is fantasy IMO given what the company is trying to do to stay relevant in a changing marketplace.

When windows 10 is the dominant desktop OS, perhaps things could change, but were talking years rather than months and Sonos might not even be around in a couple of years if their efforts to re-invent Sonos don't work.
Good point scoob101, but no good company stands still these days and many things will always be 'subject to change'.

I too, would be a little 'miffed', if I was a Windows Mobile user ... and the point I made much earlier in this thread, would be for the Sonos Development team to go down the route of creating a universal app for plugin to the various web browsers, either desktop or mobile. That's obviously easier said than done! It may, or may not be, within the companies existing capabilities. I can think of many restrictions that may prevent such development.

At least Sonos were brave enough to make what must have been a difficult decision and then announce it, at what was probably the earliest opportunity. These decisions take an awful lot of research and time.

Now the decision has been made though, the existing users have a number of choices, not least, they can:

Continue to use their equipment as they do now.
Buy another available controller, new or second hand, within their affordable budget.
See if they can run other platform controllers through an emulator on their mobile (or over rdp - not ideal)
Hope for some third party Windows mobile developer to solve the issue.
Sell up and buy something else.

I don't think I have forgotten any option, but there maybe others that elude me at this moment in time.

Anyhow my point is, if you sincerely like the Sonos products (and I assume most people here do, that's why they are part of the community forum), then why on earth forsake a good piece of hardware, which the Sonos Soeakers are, just because their windows mobile is not supported as the controller, when there are plenty of other options around.

Lots of things I own, have limitations that I have to get around ... and I'm sure plenty of us manage to carry on when we encounter such obstacles. Remote controls for TV and the various connected pieces of hardware is a prime example.

This is not the end for Sonos, it is simply a direction they have chosen to go in... As a new, but loyal customer myself, because I really do admire their products, I would choose to follow them personally, but that may not be for everyone. The decision now is one for the customer (existing, or future) to make for themselves... oh and those individual decisions too, can be 'subject to change'. ha ha
Badge
I too, would be a little 'miffed', if I was a Windows Mobile user
I'm not miffed because I'm a Win10M user, I have several other avenues of control (including the good old CR200's - although they've been severely crippled lately as well...).

I'm miffed because they [Sonos] are acting like arrogant snobs, yet again, by not being willing to develop a UWP app that would run on ALL Windows 10 systems. I would love to have the same Sonos app running on my phone as on my Xbox One's or Surface Pro's, especially if they added Cortana support as well so I could say "Hey Cortana, queue up the Prince collection for me in the kitchen".

Sure, there's already a Windows app available, but it's a legacy application that more and more people are refusing to install on their computers or tablets. Not only because it's touch unfriendly (and that's putting it nicely) but also because you have to manually install it whereas Windows Store apps can automatically restore on new devices, settings roam between devices, they're sandboxed (not such a huge deal with official software, but it's not unheard of for official apps from large companies to include virii or other malware unwittingly).

Deciding not to cater for, basically, all Windows users going forward is shortsighted and had this been a publically traded company there would be huge questions from stockholders.
Badge
The Universal version of my app is now available in Preview: http://phonos.org/universal - try it out.
There are quite a few 3rd party UWP apps available all of a sudden, Chirp, Phonos UWP Beta and Zonos to name but a few. I much prefer Chirp myself, even though that's a paid app. Not fully featured yet, but god damned close and the UX is the better of them all IMO.
Emigrating,

You make some good points and I appreciate that people will continue to vent their feelings here.

Even though I started many years ago myself, with BBC Basic, Dos 5 and Dr Dos, Comodore 64, etc. I too went through all versions of Windows from Windows 3.0, 3.11, 95, 98, NT, 2000, Millennium XP etc ... right the way up to more recent times of Windows 8.0, 8.1 and now Windows 10.1

Likewise I and my family have had many mobile phones over the years with different operating systems, from Nokia, Samsung, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, Androd and more recently, for me, Apple iOS. Likewise I have used Android and iOS tablets.

Now despite all those past experiences I am considering changing my home PC's (Windows 10) to MAC's. My son in law, has just done this very thing, in fact.

The reason is I try to change and adapt with the things I need at the time and yes I know it's expensive and I know not everyone can afford to keep changing things and there is nothing more annoying when an announcement comes from a big company like Sonos, that throws a spanner in the works.

You can see, that even though this decision to not develop the Windows mobile controller, or create a new Windows app is unlikely to affect me in the long term, I still chose to come to this thread and express a view that I believed a universal web-browser-based app, was perhaps a way forward. I don't know if that is technically possible, although I would think it possibly is, but I'm sure the company would have looked at its own capabilities, the time, the costs etc and all those things that go into a very important company decision.

Now to reach such a decision can take time and a lot of careful thought.. and whether we agree with it, or not, the decision has been made.

The Sonos company have chosen their way forward and it's like I say, people either have to adapt or compromise, or move on.

The other posts that followed my original one, were mainly all about saying to Windows users that were affected by this decision, to consider the options now available to them, but for goodness sake don't immediately give up great Sonos speakers, PlayBars and other products just because of this one decision, as there are plenty of other options still open to the Windows user... I think the saying is 'Don't cut off your nose to spite your face' ... Actually I don't like that saying, as it always sounds a little harsh when I say it... But I think you get my drift.

I have previously listed what I thought some of the other options might be... But the truth is I still think there is plenty of scope and a variety of available options, going forward, that would allow many affected customers to still keep their much loved and admired Sonos hardware.

There is still very little out there on the market, to compete with a wireless, multi-room, multi-speaker synced audio system that has the option to create standalone speakers or stereo pairs or Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and which allows 'on the fly' room grouping or playing same/different audio across the entire home.

If you want to give up all that first class hardware and architecture, on the basis you can't control it from a phone you bought sometime ago, then to me that is really 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' ... A phrase I really do hate, but have now said twice in one post !!.. I hope you understand the point I was trying to say here.
There are quite a few 3rd party UWP apps available all of a sudden, Chirp, Phonos UWP Beta and Zonos to name but a few. I much prefer Chirp myself, even though that's a paid app. Not fully featured yet, but god damned close and the UX is the better of them all IMO.

Well that's nice to see too 'emigrating'. I believe 3rd party development, was also one of the options I eluded to before, in my earlier post in this thread.