Answered

Windows 10 Controller

Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Do you have plans to ship a Windows 10 Store app which can be used from multiple Windows devices (PC, Phone, Xbox) to control the Sonos experience?

We are a Windows household and the desktop controller that exists for PC today is heavy and not very touch friendly. The third party Windows Phone app, Phonos, is fills a void, but not nearly as feature rich as the Android or iOS app. This has been requested for several years (https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/support-windows-8-rt-for-surface-tablet-and-windows-phone-8-for-mobile-devices-4593709) and the product management team does not address this gap beyond a blanket we have no news statement. I understand that choices have to be made. If you do not plan to address this in the net 12 months then can you at least make your API public with your apps being first and best examples of how to use that API so others can fill the gap for you?

Instead of a lot of "+1" and "me too" threads please show your support by voting on the poll below so we can get a count of the number of people who are interested in a Windows 10 app.
icon

Best answer by Kenneth R 15 April 2016, 19:05

View original

Would you use a Windows 10 Sonos controller app?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

411 replies

Could you name for me the competing product which has Windows mobile app support?

I know app support is generally lacking, so I might have to go for something like casting or streaming for a start - maybe Bose?
I just got my Lumnia 950 yesterday, instead of an iPhone 6 - and except for lacking a real Sonos app I'm totally loving it!
But therefore, I have not had the time to dvelve deeply into the alternatives or the technical details. I already have Sonos, but my Brother has Bose - it could be a possibility. I will have to go visit him soon :)
I also truly think, that with UWP it should be a no-brainer for the companies. So if nothing else, then I'll just wait and go with the first company that makes an app.
(I'm not a total audiophile or "religious" about brands, so I'll go with whatever works best - which was the reason I chose Sonos over for instance Bluesound and Bose some time ago)
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
AradoX - The main advantage of Bose over Sonos is that Bose supports Bluetooth streaming. Bose also doesn't have a windows app, I think the first company to bring one out will get a large influx of users from windows (i.e if Bose release first many windows users will ditch sonos for it and vice versa). All the ney sayers will say "erg windows has such a small base so why bother". Still it maybe in the in the tens of thousands of users that would convert. I cast my eye over Bose, even had a look in my local shop but decided to stick with Sonos. I use the Phonos app which is not so great to honest.
One of this days Sonos will get its head out of the sand.
Apple Music is an anomaly. Since it was Apple who announced THEY were working on Sonos support (THEY meaning Apple was using the Music Partners API to connect their service to Sonos), Sonos simply deferred to Apple. So if you can get Microsoft to work on 95% of the Sonos Windows app and announce their intentions publicly, I'm sure Sonos will defer to that announcement. Good luck with that!
I stopped buying Sonos products about 1.5 years ago because of their lack of Windows support. I even wrote the company a letter stating my reasons, foolishly thinking it would somehow matter. It's very disappointing watching a company ignore users like me. My wife and I are somewhat platform agnostic. We have kindles, android phones and devices, iPhones, etc., and while we can use our surfaces to access Sonos through the desktop app, touch would be much better, I was hoping that windows 10 would finally usher in an touch friendly app. Ultimately, I voted with my wallet 1.5 years ago. I still have my Sonos devices and do enjoy them. But I have not purchased any more. There have been at least three times where I have chosen not to give a play3 or a play1 as presents to family.

I can't help but see Sonos' decision as some bias against MS products. They appear eager to service Apple products and I wasn't too surprised to see them eagerly work with the apple watch, despite whatever reason may be plausible for facilitating that. As others have said, there have been hundreds of posts over many years by windows users expressing a desire for a windows touch based app. Yet, Sonos just gives what in my opinion is some BS answer about not commenting on products in development. It's clear that many users want it. It's also (becoming) clear that Sonos isn't serious about meeting this desire. So, for now, I continue voting against Sonos by not buying any more of their products.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I stopped buying Sonos products about 1.5 years ago because of their lack of Windows support. I even wrote the company a letter stating my reasons, foolishly thinking it would somehow matter. It's very disappointing watching a company ignore users like me. My wife and I are somewhat platform agnostic. We have kindles, android phones and devices, iPhones, etc., and while we can use our surfaces to access Sonos through the desktop app, touch would be much better, I was hoping that windows 10 would finally usher in an touch friendly app. Ultimately, I voted with my wallet 1.5 years ago. I still have my Sonos devices and do enjoy them. But I have not purchased any more. There have been at least three times where I have chosen not to give a play3 or a play1 as presents to family.

I can't help but see Sonos' decision as some bias against MS products. They appear eager to service Apple products and I wasn't too surprised to see them eagerly work with the apple watch, despite whatever reason may be plausible for facilitating that. As others have said, there have been hundreds of posts over many years by windows users expressing a desire for a windows touch based app. Yet, Sonos just gives what in my opinion is some BS answer about not commenting on products in development. It's clear that many users want it. It's also (becoming) clear that Sonos isn't serious about meeting this desire. So, for now, I continue voting against Sonos by not buying any more of their products.

You're are not alone.....

I'm waiting for this windows 10 app for a long time too.

I told sonos support that windows 10 app can be worked in a sandbox, easy install and uninstall. that's why I prefer windows 10 app over the traditional windows application.

well, still need to wait.

With regards to bias to apple products. to be honest, I was all on apple platform three years ago, but with the Jobs' passed, their products are no longer cool, I switched back to MS gradually, and now, in my house there're only two iphones and two macs, the rest are all windows or android based. Samsung S6 or S7 are way pretty then iphone 6 or 6s. I believe I'm not the only one switch away from apple and won't be the last one.
Sonos "eagerly work with the Apple watch"?

Uh sorry, but that is 100% wrong. There is no native Sonos Apple Watch app. None. Zero.
Userlevel 1
So.....where are we on this Sonos?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sonos will never give you the information you looking for here... Their method of engaging with customers appears to be to say many things but not actually tell you anything.
Sonos will never give you the information you looking for here... Their method of engaging with customers appears to be to say many things but not actually tell you anything.

No, their method is to never promise anything without being 100% sure it is coming; i.e. it is in public beta. So I ask, what would you rather them do? Speculate something is coming, only to have it be cancelled or put on the back burner, or keep the internal machinations internal until they reach the point where the public can be assured the feature/product actually coming?

Me, I'm quite sure I would be more disappointed by them getting my hopes up and then pulling the rug out. Then again, some folks motive is simply to have a reason to complain, and broken promises are fertile ground for such complaints.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Id like them to tell the community one way or the other if windows 10 will be a supported platform going forward.

That's not an unreasonable question, now is it.....
The Win32 controller can currently support all Windows desktop platforms from XP SP3 upwards. Windows Mobile has a tiny and declining ("unsustainable" according to the CEO) market share. To develop a UWP app means more work, for little obvious immediate gain. I dare say Sonos will get there eventually, but it's hardly a make-or-break requirement.
Id like them to tell the community one way or the other if windows 10 will be a supported platform going forward.

Not unreasonable at all. And I imagine when the decision is made and if/when the product reaches beta, they will tell the community. Until then, anything they say is speculative.
Userlevel 1
Badge
The Win32 controller can currently support all Windows desktop platforms. Windows Mobile has a tiny and declining ("unsustainable" according to the CEO) market share. To develop a UWP app means more work, for little obvious immediate gain. I dare say Sonos will get there eventually, but it's hardly a make-or-break requirement.

Its not a make or break requirement - for you. It may well ber for users those who chosen invested in windows 10 devices and wish to use them with their Sonos kit.

Again, this is not about windows mobile phones. This is about whether Sonos will chose to support the Windows 10 platform, in its entirety, going forward.

Developing and supporting that development for *any* platform requires investment. The cost benefits case of Sonos developing for Windows 10 I wouldn't want to speculate on, that's Sonos decision to make.

But the point is, and I cant believe this has to be gone over time and time again, giving the customer base a clear message about what OS platforms are supported, and which ones are not is a normal expectation for a vendor to provide.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Not unreasonable at all. And I imagine when the decision is made and if/when the product reaches beta, they will tell the community. Until then, anything they say is speculative.

All of which ignores the reality that companies like sonos have clear roadmaps. These decisions don't just pop out of the air one day. They are planned.
But the point is, and I cant believe this has to be gone over time and time again, giving the customer base a clear message about what OS platforms are supported, and which ones are not is a normal expectation for a vendor to provide.

One only has to look at the release notes for information on what OS platforms are supported. Sonos has never claimed, nor even intimated, that Windows 10 would be supported in its entirety. Sonos apps are for iOS and Android. Period. That is the OS platforms they support. The fact you wish them to comment on something they have never claimed to support now or in the future is puzzling to say the least. The fact one may have purchased the product (or changed OS platforms) hoping Sonos would support something have never claimed to support now or in the future is even more puzzling.

All of which ignores the reality that companies like sonos have clear roadmaps. These decisions don't just pop out of the air one day. They are planned.

Not ignoring the reality at all. Matter of fact, I'll even go so far as saying being in the software business; I know that reality very well, along with the reality that the internal road map of a company is none of my damn business until that company wishes to make it public.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Actually, Sonos are very consistent. They acknowledge receipt of ideas, suggestions and issues. Beyond that for issues they will remind us that things are still being worked on and enhancements or suggestions or feature requests they simply do NOT publish their plans up front.

This may or may not be to people's taste but this is how they operate and I for one don't interpret this in the way that you have.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Not ignoring the reality at all. Matter of fact, I'll even go so far as saying being in the software business; I know that reality very well, along with the reality that the internal road map of a company is none of my damn business until that company wishes to make it public.

Indeed. Which makes the previous track record of communication on this topic even more baffling and frustrating.

Sonos created this problem by failing to follow the simple rules that have been so clearly laid out by posters here. Don't talk about something until you are committed to releasing it. They failed in this regard. Now we understandably want answers.

Indeed. Which makes the previous track record of communication on this topic even more baffling and frustrating.

Sonos created this problem by failing to follow the simple rules that have been so clearly laid out by posters here. Don't talk about something until you are committed to releasing it. They failed in this regard. Now we understandably want answers.

Sonos has never, ever, ever, claimed to have been working on a Windows 10 app. So I don't know where you get the idea they "created this problem by failing to follow the simple rules that have been so clearly laid out by posters here." If you are speaking of the supposed "Phish Alpha" app, Sonos has never commented on this. Ever. The fact other websites leaked information on what may or may not be an official Sonos app is irrelevant to the fact Sonos has never spoken of it. If it is this "Phish Alpha" app you want information on, don't demand answers from Sonos, go ask windowscentral.com why they predicted it was coming a year ago and got it so wrong.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Sonos has never, ever, ever, claimed to have been working on a Windows 10 app. So I don't know where you get the idea they "created this problem by failing to follow the simple rules that have been so clearly laid out by posters here." If you are speaking of the supposed "Phish Alpha" app, Sonos has never commented on this. Ever. The fact other websites leaked information on what may or may not be an official Sonos app is irrelevant to the fact Sonos has never spoken of it.

Indeed, Sonos have never explicity stated they are working on a Windows 10 Universal App. But there has been plenty of comments from sonos in the past which are highly suggestive of activity in this area, which have lead to countless requests for clarification on the current state of play for Windows. Leo_10 put this together only a few posts ago on this very thread.

Lieing to a customer would be saying they would support windows mobile and not. Sonos has never implored they were in anything I have seen.
Oh they haven't? And how would you call this:

All, It's been a little while since our last update and we know that many of you are keen to learn more about the direction of this request. In short, the direction we're headed in is a good one, but we're not yet ready to share any details at this time. Until we have more to share, we're going to keep this topic marked as Under Consideration. Thank you for your continued support and for sharing your comments with us.
https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/support-windows-8-rt-for-surface-tablet-and-windows-phone-8-for-mobile-devices-4593709/index12.html#post12440442

As indicated in the last official response, we're headed in a good direction but not ready to share any specific details about a Windows Phone or Surface RT control app yet.
https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/support-windows-8-rt-for-surface-tablet-and-windows-phone-8-for-mobile-devices-4593709/index13.html#post12653204

We're not in a position in the moment to go into that much detail about our internal process but we understand the request for more communication. As remarked earlier in the topic history, we're positive about the future but not ready to share any detail at this time.
https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/support-windows-8-rt-for-surface-tablet-and-windows-phone-8-for-mobile-devices-4593709/index13.html#post12653227

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your continued feedback and ideas regarding a Windows Phone controller for Sonos. We’re listening to your suggestions and will be looking for some more detailed feedback on how you use Windows Phone in your home soon.

We don’t have any updates or details to share at this time, and the request will continue to be marked as Under Consideration, but please keep an eye on this space in the near future.

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/support-windows-8-rt-for-surface-tablet-and-windows-phone-8-for-mobile-devices-4593709/index29.html#post13891817

This was 1 to 2 years ago. Doesn't sound like a no? It's more like we have something in development and are happy to tell you in near future more details about it? We all know that this didn't happen. Instead we got this a few month later:

We’ve created a brief survey which has some questions on what Windows Phone you currently use, what Sonos components you have, and what features are important to you. When you have a few minutes, we’d appreciate any feedback you can provide us via the survey.

You can take it by following this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/AskSonosWindowsPhone

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/support-windows-8-rt-for-surface-tablet-and-windows-phone-8-for-mobile-devices-4593709/index30.html#post13959538

and then finally

We know this is a highly requested feature and that many of you are hoping to hear an acknowledgement from us on potential plans.

We have no news to share with you about support for Windows Phone on Sonos at this time, and do not expect to have an update in the near future. We are always testing ways to improve your experience with Sonos, and while we do not comment on what we're working on, this group will be among the first to know when we have more to share on this topic. Thank you for sharing your comments with us and we hope you'll continue to do so in the future.

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/support-windows-8-rt-for-surface-tablet-and-windows-phone-8-for-mobile-devices-4593709/index37.html#post15343854

So tell me is this lying? Manipulating customers? in any case this is not how a professional company should treat their customers. They marked the former topic as under consideration, told us that they are on a good way and positive for the future. They created a survey showing furthermore their interest in the windows phone customers. And based on this i have bought a sonos system, assuming it will only be a short time the app will be released.
Well i was wrong. and a few month later sonos stated there is nothing and there won't be anything in the near future.
So maybe they did not lie directely, but they did their best to keep the windows phone customers believing in a short time app release. And that's what I Sonos blame for. A clear yes or no would have been far better. We know they are able to do so, as they did it for dts support.

and to Ryan S.
Yes there are controllers from other companys. But they are not free and also limited in functionality, compared to the official apps. So double penality for using an os your company doesn't want to support? Are you going to refund at least the price we spent for these apps? Shouldn't be that much, following the statistics of some of your fans here.

Again, Sonos previous communications have lead, at least in part, to this situation. Clarification of current status is not an unreasonable request to make when the status of Windows 10 support affects customers purchasing decisions.
I see absolutely nothing in any of those posts which states they are working on, or will work on, a Windows app. None. Neither do I see them breaking their policy to not talk about current or future projects. If the reason you got your pantaloons in a bunch is the statement "the direction we're headed in is a good one" and a general survey of Windows mobile users, then I'm afraid you'll get no sympathy from me (or, I assume, any other clear thinking individual),
Userlevel 1
Badge
With respect I think you are being deliberately obtuse if you cannot have an appreciation, at least to some degree, to the points I am making.
With respect I think you are being deliberately obtuse if you cannot have an appreciation, at least to some degree, to the points I am making.
Actually, no. jgatie is telling it like it is.

Those Sonos posts are "PR Speak", they are deliberately obtuse in order to say nothing about current projects, while seemingly saying everything. The fact you take those waffling, non-descript, generic-to-a-fault comments as affirmation of an imminent Windows app, whereas you describe my quite literal observations as "deliberately obtuse", says volumes.