Answered

Windows 10 Controller

Show first post

411 replies

Badge
SONOS announce a true Windows APP available on smartphones and tabs...
Bonjour,
Je trouve cela extrêmement désinvolte et méprisant. Quand j'ai acheté mes premiers Sonos, le revendeur a téléphoné à Sonos France pour demander si une application Windows était prévue. La réponse a été clairement OUI. Et maintenant Sonos fait volte-face. Il y a tromperie caractérisée. Le support, joint à plusieurs reprises, m' a dit n'avoir aucune information... Comment vendre des produits Sonos avec un contrôleur Sonos pour Windows à l'ergonomie datant de la fin des années 1990 ou du début des années 2000? Il faut que Sonos informe clairement ses futurs clients que les produits vendus sont exclusivement conçus pour Apple et Android. Les produits devraient être vendus avec une tablette Apple ou Android offerte par Sonos

User656623,

Having a certain position at the time of purchase/sale is one thing, but I'm sure you know that in all hardware manuals and documentation that accompany the products ..it says they are sold 'subject to change' ...and what you were told by Sonos France was the position, as they saw it at the time.

The decision has been made and if you want Sonos to sell their product with an iPhone/tablet device etc, then you and other customers are going to have to pay the extra cost.

Personally I think there is more choice as it stands at the moment... You can always try to sell your products, if you are not happy about the windows mobile development being called off, but it appears you have managed to 'control' all your devices up until now.

All you are lacking really is a little convenience, but that is far outweighed by the audio experience that Sonos products can produce in the home.
Badge
Bonjour,
Je trouve cela extrêmement désinvolte et méprisant. Quand j'ai acheté mes premiers Sonos, le revendeur a téléphoné à Sonos France pour demander si une application Windows était prévue. La réponse a été clairement OUI. Et maintenant Sonos fait volte-face. Il y a tromperie caractérisée. Le support, joint à plusieurs reprises, m' a dit n'avoir aucune information... Comment vendre des produits Sonos avec un contrôleur Sonos pour Windows à l'ergonomie datant de la fin des années 1990 ou du début des années 2000? Il faut que Sonos informe clairement ses futurs clients que les produits vendus sont exclusivement conçus pour Apple et Android. Les produits devraient être vendus avec une tablette Apple ou Android offerte par Sonos.

Some of you have been asking about a native Windows Phone controller app for Sonos, and we’ve been slow to provide a clear answer. We’re sorry about that. The truth of the matter is that up until now we’ve been unclear internally on this very question. In fact, it’s been the source of many passionate debates because we recognize that some Sonos owners are also Windows Phone users.

In the end, however, we’ve made a decision that Sonos is not going to build a Windows Phone 8 app nor are we planning to build a Windows 10 “universal” app. We’ll of course continue to support the Windows desktop controller. We’re big fans of the work Microsoft is doing across many areas, including mobile, voice control, AI, VR and of course the Groove music service, available on Sonos.

We know this is super frustrating for Windows Phone owners anxious for more native apps on the platform, but like other companies we've had to place our bets. Our focus right now is on Voice and Paid Streaming Services, and we’re exploring quite a few innovative ways to experience and control your music – on your device and off.

We’ll be sure to keep this group informed of our progress.

Thanks,
Kenneth
Userlevel 1
Badge
Finally.

Its good to see that the effort has paid off and Sonos have finally come clean.

All completely avoidable. I sincerely hope this episode has taught Sonos something about how they interact with the community for future.
With very low cost (iOS bridge) to create and huge install base (270 million), I'm really surprised that Sonos made such stupid decision. Wake up, SONOS, Please!

The vast majority of those 270 million are desktops and laptops that run just fine with the current Windows Controller. Even with a "low cost" to porting a new app, there is obviously no gain to spending that low cost if it is only going to gain them the miniscule Windows mobile market.
With very low cost (iOS bridge) to create and huge install base (270 million), I'm really surprised that Sonos made such stupid decision. Wake up, SONOS, Please!
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi,

Really disappointing to hear Sonos is not going to release a Windows universal app.
I'm a Windows developer myself and Microsoft has released tools to convert ios apps to Wiindows without starting from scratch. Advising users to use a third party app is simply unacceptable and just ignoring user requests.

There is also a topic about problems with the Groove music service which I also use. Songs are skipped in the middle of the song. This problem is still not solved after 3 months ???

Maybe Sonos can just let us know they won't support Windows at all.

I was planning to add Play 1 speakers to my setup but after reading such news this isn't going to happen for sure.

My point is that some people are waiting for some future developments in other areas that may, or may not happen and clearly in the case of Sonos the company have made their decision and announced it. Can't say fairer than that, I guess, even if we disagree with it.

I haven't seen any other company announcements elsewhere yet, so I was simply suggesting that a user could still go out and buy the Sonos products and use them right now. It's about adapting to such announcements, especially in the absence of anything else ... We can't all have everything we want, just how we want it... and my thoughts are you maybe waiting months ... and many of them.

By all means wait around for the future and see what the developments bring in the coming weeks, months or years, but my point was you could be listening to a great multi-room, multi-speaker system right now and the Sonos products do tend to hold their price rather well for when you decide to move onto your next option.

I myself, want to buy the new iPhone 7, when it comes out, but as an interim I have bought an iPhone 5s... It could be that Apple delay the launch of the 7 due to technical reasons etc...but when I do eventually get it I will give the 5s to my son. I'm not just going to sit around with no phone and wait to see what happens.

I think it's crazy to deny yourself the 'experience' of Sonos, because of some limitation that stands in the way. I have many products from numerous companies to satisfy my technology needs and yes these things can cost a tidy penny, but there are no pockets in shrouds.

Many people here, clearly in this thread, want Sonos Speakers and products, otherwise they 'most likely' would not be part of this community forum, so why deny themselves so much, simply because the Windows mobile platform is excluded, especially when there are so many other options and cheap methods to resolve this.

I think some are therefore missing out, right now and perhaps for some time to come, but I sincerely hope you all get what you wish for... But why wait for the next bus to come along (or the one after that), when you could start walking.

Have to agree. I have made the argument for a Windows app on this (or similar) threads for many years now and while I'm disappointed with Sonos' decision it is not the issue it was a few years ago. There are good third party apps out there, Phonos & Chirp to name a couple, and even if they are not free the price pales to insignificance compared to even a single Play 1.

The era of the app appears to be on the decline in any case, looked through my app list the other day and was amazed at how few I actually use, and that's on a platform with an "app gap". I'm intrigued as to what Sonos will come up with to compete with low cost smart solutions such as Amazon's Echo which offer superior connectivity at a fraction the price, at the expense of sound quality admittedly. I think Sonos are probably correct to not be focusing on app development at the moment, they have an awful lot of work to do to continue justifying their premium pricing and I think the only way to do so is to become much more seamless, something apps simply cannot offer. I only hope that whatever they are planning for a post-app world is available for all to use regardless of their choice of OS.

I would just like to thank Sonos once again for the honesty shown, even if a little late. I for one appreciate it and will continue to use my system, with the Chirp app until the current research has borne fruit. Perhaps though Sonos could see their way to giving some support to the people working to provide third party support on Windows, numerous devs seem to be having trouble with music services. As these developers are working to extend the reach of your product a little support to make the third party apps the best they can possibly be seems like a no-brainer.
Shame really, I was going to look at putting something like Sonos in when we remodelled the Kitchen and Living room. Too bad you guys are happy to ignore 200 million active users. Near 35000 people have viewed this page and yet it is deemed that there is not enough interest.
Hi,

Really disappointing to hear Sonos is not going to release a Windows universal app.
I'm a Windows developer myself and Microsoft has released tools to convert ios apps to Wiindows without starting from scratch. Advising users to use a third party app is simply unacceptable and just ignoring user requests.

There is also a topic about problems with the Groove music service which I also use. Songs are skipped in the middle of the song. This problem is still not solved after 3 months ???

I was planning to add Play 1 speakers to my setup but after reading such news this isn't going to happen for sure.

My point is that some people are waiting for some future developments in other areas that may, or may not happen and clearly in the case of Sonos the company have made their decision and announced it. Can't say fairer than that, I guess, even if we disagree with it.

I haven't seen any other company announcements elsewhere yet, so I was simply suggesting that a user could still go out and buy the Sonos products and use them right now. It's about adapting to such announcements, especially in the absence of anything else ... We can't all have everything we want, just how we want it... and my thoughts are you maybe waiting months ... and many of them.

By all means wait around for the future and see what the developments bring in the coming weeks, months or years, but my point was you could be listening to a great multi-room, multi-speaker system right now and the Sonos products do tend to hold their price rather well for when you decide to move onto your next option.

I myself, want to buy the new iPhone 7, when it comes out, but as an interim I have bought an iPhone 5s... It could be that Apple delay the launch of the 7 due to technical reasons etc...but when I do eventually get it I will give the 5s to my son. I'm not just going to sit around with no phone and wait to see what happens.

I think it's crazy to deny yourself the 'experience' of Sonos, because of some limitation that stands in the way. I have many products from numerous companies to satisfy my technology needs and yes these things can cost a tidy penny, but there are no pockets in shrouds.

Many people here, clearly in this thread, want Sonos Speakers and products, otherwise they 'most likely' would not be part of this community forum, so why deny themselves so much, simply because the Windows mobile platform is excluded, especially when there are so many other options and cheap methods to resolve this.

I think some are therefore missing out, right now and perhaps for some time to come, but I sincerely hope you all get what you wish for... But why wait for the next bus to come along (or the one after that), when you could start walking.
Hi,

that's a shame. I was looking forward to filling my house that I've just moved into. I was so confident that you'd make a UWP that I almost splurged 600 on 4 play 1's. seems like I've dodged a bullet. thanks for letting us know.

It's a pity that Sonos don't make a cheap hardware controller anymore, although I think a second-hand cheap "touch-screen" android device purchased from eBay etc. could be used just for that purpose and left at home... I reckon you could do that for less than £20 (or equivalent in whatever currency you use) ..That way nicbirch you would still be able to buy and play the best multiroom, multi-speaker wireless audio system that is available for home use, today.

It appears to me to be a shame to miss out on so much, for so little.

I do have androids that I could use, but I'm looking forward to the integration of the windows platform with apps related to streaming music (which sonos could obviously have been a part of) e.g. Cortana, xbox. I'm not going to invest in a system that is refusing to integrate, when I'm pretty sure that someone else will recognise the potential and build a system that is useable with the whole windows platform. All Microsoft needs to do is release an audio version of their display adapters and hey presto, the system exists. They're getting their act together, so I don't think it'll be long before I'm telling Cortana to play some music through my wireless speakers whilst at the same time turning heating on and locking the back door 😃
that's a shame. I was looking forward to filling my house that I've just moved into. I was so confident that you'd make a UWP that I almost splurged 600 on 4 play 1's. seems like I've dodged a bullet. thanks for letting us know.

It's a pity that Sonos don't make a cheap hardware controller anymore, although I think a second-hand cheap "touch-screen" android device purchased from eBay etc. could be used just for that purpose and left at home... I reckon you could do that for less than £20 (or equivalent in whatever currency you use) ..That way nicbirch you would still be able to buy and play the best multiroom, multi-speaker wireless audio system that is available for home use, today.

It appears to me to be a shame to miss out on so much, for so little.
I love my Surface. I'd love a better App for Windows.

Some of you have been asking about a native Windows Phone controller app for Sonos, and we’ve been slow to provide a clear answer. We’re sorry about that. The truth of the matter is that up until now we’ve been unclear internally on this very question. In fact, it’s been the source of many passionate debates because we recognize that some Sonos owners are also Windows Phone users.

In the end, however, we’ve made a decision that Sonos is not going to build a Windows Phone 8 app nor are we planning to build a Windows 10 “universal” app. We’ll of course continue to support the Windows desktop controller. We’re big fans of the work Microsoft is doing across many areas, including mobile, voice control, AI, VR and of course the Groove music service, available on Sonos.

We know this is super frustrating for Windows Phone owners anxious for more native apps on the platform, but like other companies we've had to place our bets. Our focus right now is on Voice and Paid Streaming Services, and we’re exploring quite a few innovative ways to experience and control your music – on your device and off.

Thanks,
Kenneth
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The Universal version of my app is now available in Preview: http://phonos.org/universal - try it out.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Only took them three years to answer. Thanks Sonos, you're so wrong and I'm never going to recommend your devices to anyone ever again, but thanks for finally actually saying no. Next time, maybe say this straight away to avoid thousands of frustrated customers.
My Sonos has been collecting dust after I bought a Raspberry Pi and installed a media service on it which anyone on my network can access through a web browser. Not supporting Windows 10 was the final nail in the coffin. My Play 5 is getting sold to a poor soul tomorrow.
Thank you for finally answering this question. I now know to leave sonos behind, sadly. I have loved my sonos system but it's clear you are moving in a direction that doesn't value customers like myself. I have used the windows desktop controller on a windows 10 tablet and the touch experience is terrible compared to the touch-specific controllers for other platforms. It's clear that Sonos is on the decline as a company and I can't continue to buy expensive hardware from a company that I don't have confidence in.
I have just learned of this announcement and wanted to post and register my disappointment with this decision. To frame this as only a problem with Windows phone users (of which I am one) is to miss the 270 million+ Windows 10 devices which are now going to miss out on a decent touch capable Sonos interface. Anyway, I will as usual vote with my wallet and certainly not be augmenting my Sonos system with new units. I had already suspected that I was buying into a product that was on a slow decline after the recent announcements of layoffs and 'refocusing', but this only reinforces the view that Sonos is not long for this world.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Well that is thoroughly rubbish. However as a previous posted stated maybe sonos could look into a web app and remove be platform agnostic, lowering development cost/time which clearly is required at sonos.
Badge
In the end, however, we’ve made a decision that Sonos is not going to build a Windows Phone 8 app nor are we planning to build a Windows 10 “universal” app. We’ll of course continue to support the Windows desktop controller.
Surely you're not serious? Not only have you decided that you won't build an app for the [deprecated] Windows Phone OS (which, btw, is completely understandable - even in the regions where WP had "taken off" it was 10% of market share at most) but you've also decided not to build a UWP app which will run on, as of Build 2016 - i.e. a couple weeks ago, 270 million devices? Are you kidding me? Like it or not, desktop apps are quickly becoming legacy apps and while this move probably won't affect your bottom line today it sure will tomorrow - people are already less willing to install legacy apps than a store app and this is a trend that will only continue going forward.

It's not frustrating for Windows Phone users, well, I'm sure it is, but that's the part of the market you can afford to forget about. It is however super frustrating for the 270 million, current and active, users of Windows 10 devices (which include, but is not limited to, Windows 10 Mobile, the Surface line of computers, Xbox One's - almost all of whom are proven time and time again to spend more per capita than the average consumer).

While the legacy app works it really needs an overhaul in terms of design, but perhaps more so in general UX and discoverability. Continuing to pour money into desktop apps in this day and age makes no sense what so ever. Cut your losses and rewrite it as a UWP app, the way Microsoft is "forcing" users to upgrade to Windows 10 there won't be many XP, Vista, Windows 7 or 8 users left soon anyway - at least not ones who own or intend on owning a Sonos system, because, interestingly, those are also likely to spend more money than the "average" Joe. And sure, you may not like having this image of catering mostly to the higher-end markets, but as long as you have the kind of condescending staff you do in your UK offices that's exactly the type of image you are purveying - at least here in Europe.

Progress towards what? You've just said you are not going to cater to Windows users going forward - what makes you think said group of people would be the least interested in your progress?

Oh well, thanks for the definite answer, at least I now know not to bother investing further in your products - which, to be honest, I hadn't done in the past few years anyway due to the lack of the Windows Phone controller (or publically accessible APIs allowing GOOD QUALITY 3rd party apps). I've just ordered another couple Amazon Echo's, and while they don't do multi-room audio like Sonos (yet) I feel confident I can MacGyver a solution based on these and some RPi's which will give me the outstanding voice control provided by Alexa as well as streaming music, audiobooks (you no longer even support Audible...), news read out loud.. The more I think about it the better it sounds.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/phish-alpha/9wzdncrcww3f
With good ratings? Why kill it, when you have built it!

Sonos your arrogance will kill you. You were first moveres, and at that time great. But now you are just milking your customers, and bringing nothing new to the table. One amongst many.

More than likely because they're already struggling to survive in todays changed landscape. People, and no, not just the audiophile people Sonos UK would like to cater for. but people in general, are now buying Amazon Echo's and similar products en-masse. Sonos have already started letting people go.

Some years ago, Sonos had the edge because of their integration with audio services and high-quality speakers, but over the past few years the field has become crowded with competitors and Sonos no longer stands out - and even less so now, when they are actively trying to limit their user base.

---edit---
Apparently you don't allow animated GIFs, so I removed the inline image.
--/edit---
By making a Universal Windows App, they get both Windows AND Windows Mobile.... Combined still easily the nunber ONE OS worldwide !!
Actually the current number one desktop OS is Win7. Win10 is way behind, and only marginally ahead of Win8/8.1 or XP. A universal app would be no use to the majority of Windows users.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Thanks for a definitive answer. At this point it's a relief to have an answer, even if it was far to long coming.
Userlevel 1
Windows Mobile has a market share of 2-3 %, according to http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp . It is not very economical to create a Sonos client for such a small minority. As Windows Mobile user, you should be aware of that and should have been aware before you purchased such a device.

Improving the Android and iOS client will reach way more people than a Windows client.

On your desktop you can use the desktop controller. Touchscreen Windows devices are still a minority as well, albeit possibly rising in number.

Surely there should only be android controllers based on this assumption then as IoS accounts for a tiny % of shipments too....

Maybe the whole situation will change with Windows 10, I would not yet count on it.

28 Votes? Sonos is not going to write an app for 28 votes. Come on people if you really want the app then you have to do something about it.
VOTE!!!!

Oh! Seems you found all the 28 people using Windows mobile! Congrats! ;)

Get your facts together !!! By making a Universal Windows App, they get both Windows AND Windows Mobile.... Combined still easily the nunber ONE OS worldwide !!
Userlevel 1
What do you think you are doing ?!?! Soon 300 MILLION Windows devices and you do not intend to make a decent Windows app?? The current UI is totally outdated. Just try to finetune the volume on a touchscreen display, Close to impossible!!

Give Windows 10 Mobile a try and see that this by definition outperformes Android and Ios and will definetely be growing.

Not to mention the fact that by building a universal app you only have to do it once to support both Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile....

SONOOOOOOOS WAKE UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!