Answered

Why is Sonos discontinuing support for iOS devices?

Userlevel 1
Disappointed when I received this message when starting the app to play from my iPad. Not interested in having to pay for a service to stream from my music collection. What’s driving this decision? Note - creating an incentive for me to search for another music solution in my home. Can’t begin to describe how unhappy I am. Have been so happy with Sonos and bragged about the system to friends. That sounds like I’ll have to do a 180. Any one else feeling the same?
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 17 June 2019, 19:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

63 replies

The thread you’re looking for is here on this, which offers, and discusses many options, ranging from free to not.
Thank you very much!
I have read all the threads. But the fact that there are all sorts of baroque workarounds, such as uploading to the cloud my entire music collection, which consists of literally a couple of thousand CDs that I ripped to iTunes and then donated (many of which are no longer available, including my father's huge jazz collection), as well as hundreds of hours of unreleased material from my music career, or relying on streaming services that dont have most of what I own, or buying a desktop Mac and then being only able to play music from my office, or buying an Android device or a NAS device, or anything else, doesn't change the fact that I bought several sets of pricey speakers to play the music on my iPad and iPhone, and now those speakers have announced they won't do the one thing I bought them for.
You are absolutely right. This was a bait and switch by both Apple and Sonos. I’m not sure who disgusts me more. I will sell my Sonos stuff on eBay and never recommend them again, although I will trash them on Amazon. I’m stuck with Apple for a few more years. I also gave away and sold my extensive CD collection after trusting them with Apple. I was a schmuck.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
From the great book of "It'll Never Happen"

But maybe the bunny will finally get it 😞

I have read all the threads. But the fact that there are all sorts of baroque workarounds, such as uploading to the cloud my entire music collection, which consists of literally a couple of thousand CDs that I ripped to iTunes and then donated (many of which are no longer available, including my father's huge jazz collection), as well as hundreds of hours of unreleased material from my music career, or relying on streaming services that dont have most of what I own, or buying a desktop Mac and then being only able to play music from my office, or buying an Android device or a NAS device, or anything else, doesn't change the fact that I bought several sets of pricey speakers to play the music on my iPad and iPhone, and now those speakers have announced they won't do the one thing I bought them for.You are absolutely right.

No, it isn't. The bolded part is incorrect as has been pointed out a couple times in this thread. He also does not list that airplay functionality is another way to play audio from your iPhone. Your profile says you have a Sonos One, so you should be able to use airplay. The rest is just info about his own personal collection.
I'm trying Apple Music free for 90 days in hopes I'll just replace Amazon Music with that (similarly priced) service. I mean the "unlimited" version of each, Amazon Prime has limited access to music at no charge. Gonna try and be constructive before I take Amazon up on the super-cheap offer to replace my Sonos hardware with theirs, because the spouse does not like IT changes! : )

That said, I have the obligatory "stupid question" as well.

If I purchase one Airplay 2 capable Sonos will it act like a hub and stream that music to any other speaker? Or do I have to group all eleven speakers in my home and play them all at once? The latter obviously not being a solution. Just grasping at convenient straws... Maybe Sonos should consider offering an Airplay hub for legacy customers!

If I purchase one Airplay 2 capable Sonos will it act like a hub and stream that music to any other speaker? Or do I have to group all eleven speakers in my home and play them all at once? The latter obviously not being a solution. Just grasping at convenient straws... Maybe Sonos should consider offering an Airplay hub for legacy customers!

Calling it a hub is't accurate, as your airplay 2 capable Sonos will act like any other speaker in your setup. You'll airplay to your new speaker and then group (or group first, doesn't matter) to the speakers you want it to play in sync with. That could be all 11 speakers or 1 speaker, doesn't matter. You would obviously only be able use airplay for 1 stream though. So if you and your wife both wanted to play different music through airplay, you're going to need two airplay speakers.
Maybe it's better if I ask my question as a scenario.

If I have a Sonos in my kitchen with Airplay 2... and one in my office that does not have airplay... can I stream music, through airplay, in the office, but not in the kitchen? Or do the two speakers need to be grouped for Airplay to work?

I know my Sonos speakers form a sort of mesh network. But I'm not sure how Airplay figures in that network. Can I "route" music to a given speaker (Airplay giving me access to the mesh network) or does the airplay capable speaker have to be in the group?
It isn't really anything to do with the mesh network. The same principle applies irrespective of whether the SonosNet mesh is active. The Airplay compatible speaker has to be in the group.
Thanks everyone for your prompt assistance. It is much appreciated.

I'll see if Apple music is accepted by the spouse over Amazon Music. If not, I'll either swap Sonos for Amazon Echo, pay for two services (unlikely), or swap our phones to Android.

I've been testing an S10 as my work phone and find it really does seem to outperform my iphone in almost every way. So maybe that's the fix. Or maybe Sonos builds an Airplay 2 repeater and legacy customers don't have to make big choices to retain the most basic feature they trusted Sonos with in the first place.

Sorry, got a bit bitter there. : )

This is bull.... it's like telling me that the expensive DVD player I bought has now decided it won’t play my dvds, and I have to start streaming all my movies. I have literally several thousands of hours of music on iPhone and iPad. Much of which is not available on streaming services even if I wanted to pay to subscribe to music I already own, and I don’t have an IMac. You sold me a very expensive set of speakers for my music collection, and then decide I can’t use them.

Nobody is forcing you to purchase a streaming service. You can easily play your library from a PC/Mac, Plex, an NAS, or a free Google Play Music account. And if Sonos were really trying to force you to pay for a streaming service instead of being on the bad side of an Apple iOS update, it would be highly ironic because A. They don't make any income from services, and B. They kept the ability to play tracks on Android devices.

a garbage $50 cd deck for a car can stream from an iphone but a premium audio company can’t figure it out? LOL Sonos are sellouts and are getting cut backs from the people that cave in and pay for a premium service.

Cut backs?  :thinking:

a garbage $50 cd deck for a car can stream from an iphone but a premium audio company can’t figure it out? LOL Sonos are sellouts and are getting cut backs from the people that cave in and pay for a premium service.

Is the garbage CD deck your refering to using bluetooth, aux connection, airplay, or some proprietary WiFI connection?