Why does the 9.2 update NOT have a huge warning about the Desktop controller?

• 18 October 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
I knew the new crippled desktop controller was coming because I read it here, but when I actually took the 9.2 update there was no warning at all. There are going to be a LOT of very surprised desktop users out there. There's a few on the forum now, but adding a warning to the pre-upgrade message would save Sonos at least some of the forthcoming vitriol.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Nevertheless, I must warn you that in future you should delete the words 'crunchy frog', and replace them with the legend 'crunchy raw unboned real dead frog', if you want to avoid prosecution.
Don't forget the lark's vomit.
Hmmm... I was surprised there wasn't any mention of it, as it would have given Sonos a stronger case that people have a choice. I can't see what was to be gained by not mentioning it, given that less 'controversial' changes were listed.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Hmmm... I was surprised there wasn't any mention of it, as it would have given Sonos a stronger case that people have a choice. I can't see what was to be gained by not mentioning it, given that less 'controversial' changes were listed.

I'm surprised Your concern is around giving Sonos cover for removing features on an update and not around the impact this lack of warning has had on the number of people updating without knowing what they are giving up.
Another example of needing the ability to roll back.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Why was there no mail in the sonos app mail inbox explaining the update changes?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Why was there no mail in the sonos app mail inbox explaining the update changes?

Because the desktop apps have never supported the "sonos inbox": it would be pointless.
Userlevel 7
All this back n' forth about why Sonos didn't issue an advance warning about the desktop controller update in v9.2 (while a valid point) isn't going to change anything. I suspect this may have been the first "volatile" update that Sonos has experienced/released; as it relates to the desktop controller, and the consequences (customer push back) weren't addressed internally. JMO.

In the IT world volatile updates are not uncommon; but after the first or second, subsequent updates are less so. So Sonos IMO this has been a "teaching moment" for you, so take note.:8

As far as desktops not supporting the "Sonos Inbox" (which I was unaware of as I always use my iOS devcies) if I'm not mistaken each account is registered with an email address.:? That said I don't think it would have been unreasonable to push out an "email blast" announcing the removable of features from the desktop controller. Granted it may have gone unread; but at least it would have been a good-faith effort.

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
"Sorry, I told you." covers a lot of ground and ends a lot of complaints.

If I was Sonos I'd put a step in the update where the user got an explanation of what is going to happen had to tick a box saying they had and understood the changes before letting it go forward.