Why do I need to sign in

Userlevel 2
Badge
Why do I need to sign into a Sonos account to add a speaker? Sonos speakers disappear regularly then I would just go in an add them again. And now, this PITA has been made worse by making me sign in to add hardware I OWN inside my OWN HOUSE. Explain to me someone why I need to sign in?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

55 replies

These requirements were put in place for security reasons; to keep outside hackers from accessing your system. So I highly doubt Sonos is going to bend to your will and re-expose users to these threats.

Hope you find a worthy replacement.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
And yet you logged into this web site with some kind of credentials, and this site is a lot more public than your private home network (hopefully!)
I really dislike the forced registration and log-in requirement for the Sonos speakers following the mandatory software updates.

I do NOT want to:
- Utilize cloud services such as Amazon Alexa
- Use Spotify
- Create a new e-mail account to circumvent the registration requirement.
- Etc.

I just want to use the basis functionalities of the Sonos applications without the forced registration and forced log-in for the use of Sonos. Unfortunately, there are no optional choices for the registration requirement whatsoever.

These privacy violating requirements are really disappointing. I returned my new Sonos speaker and will not buy Sonos anymore nor will I recommend it to others until the forced registrations and log-ins are removed.
Hate Sonos , was forced to update just to access the sepeaker balance function I had set to one side of room ( so I had access to this setting b4). After FORCED UPDATE, app is now requiring me to sign in.... i click forgot password and email never comes , I clicked it about 10 times now, using Gmail it's not in spam.

I then go creating a brand new account with the same exact email, I got that sign up email instantly, try that account trash Sonos app is still saying u must use the account you created the system w.

Requiring me to sign in click forgot password and email clicked it about 10 times. Where in creating a brand new account with the same God that sign up email, use this app is still saying he must use the account you created the system

F&;$4$:$, YOU SONOS WE DONT NEED ACCOUNTS FOR SPEAKERS WE OWN. will never buy Sonos anything again. They block features then require an update/account via a broken system

(My speakers are now locked to half room balance w no way to access the slider)
I agree. Having to sign in to add a speaker is annoying and makes me dislike Sonos. Sonos, please remove this requirement.
Userlevel 1
Hi Clovenguth,

I got a message somehow about your post here in my e-mail box. Just my two cents:

I've been dissapointed too and I don't need a spreadsheet for my system...;) I replaced my Sonos players with similar players from Bluesound. My experience is plain good: no registration at all to setup (and Spotify Connect works), dark interface which with the current app versions compared works far more intuitive (except the settings menus). To top this you get better sound, Bluetooth integration and better looks (although this depends on taste). More expensive however, but it's a more than capable alternative. But: same blurred lookout on the future developments as Sonos since also Bluesound is not transparent about future plans with the platform and you just have to swallow all upcoming changes, no matter how much you have invested. This is new reality it seems for loyal customers.

Maybe if Sonos is smart it ditches this "login" feature. But how long will you wait?

Cheers,

I'm delaying upgrade Sonos until they remove this mandatory login crap.

Good to know there's an alternative out there.

Thanks.
I find it interesting that the forced password requirement *in the name of security* is to provide an 8 character password, with no special characters accepted. At my place of work, we refer to this as "Security Theatre".
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Before this gets too far out of hand, let's try to stay on topic and friendly everyone.

It's been necessary to create a Sonos account in order to utilize cloud services such as Amazon Alexa or Spotify Direct Control since those features were first introduced. We've also required creating a Sonos account when adding a new device to your system or registering a new system as of last year. And since the beginning of Sonos, we've had a system registration step when setting up a system. We felt it was a reasonable precaution that all Sonos customers should take to add a password to those accounts or link the system registrations to valid emails, and so we decided to make it a requirement.
... a good rant.

jgatie, do you work for a PR or media firm? Your constant shilling for Sonos makes me suspicious. And then there are the 17,000+ Replies. Sonos representatives should be marked a such. For a company to flooding a board with bias is unacceptable.

Sonos employees are marked as such. As to my post count, I've been posting here for over 10 years, which is about 5 posts a day. You've had 5 posts in the last hour.

And by the way, as stated many times in this thread, Sonos does not sell your data to 3rd parties. It says so right in the first paragraph of their privacy policy.
Userlevel 1
... a good rant.

jgatie, do you work for a PR or media firm? Your constant shilling for Sonos makes me suspicious. And then there are the 17,000+ Replies. Sonos representatives should be marked a such. For a company to flooding a board with bias is unacceptable.
Userlevel 1
I can only assume that Sonos is requiring the log-in because they are gathering information about me

Yep.
Userlevel 4
I hate being forced to update but Sonos is now forcing me to update or I can't use it. And to do that I need to register and to do that I need to accept your terms that I don't accept. Any loyalty I had is now gone. I paid you money for this product and I expect to be able to use it without all your arm twisting.

100% agree.
I've just been had by Sonos. I couldn't play any music unless I went through the forced software update. Now I can't continue unless I sign in to Sonos to change the settings of the hardware I bought! What is up with that and how do I opt out of this? My hardware is basically being held hostage.

I for one am not buying anymore Sonos hardware if this is how it is now. It's absurd they can change the rules after several years and prevent people from using the equipment they bought.
I hate being forced to update but Sonos is now forcing me to update or I can't use it. And to do that I need to register and to do that I need to accept your terms that I don't accept. Any loyalty I had is now gone. I paid you money for this product and I expect to be able to use it without all your arm twisting.
Absolutely no justification for forcing me to sign in to use your product. There are enough companies out there holding so much of our data who have proven they are not trustworthy. Who are you collecting this for and selling it to? Forced signin is the reason I sold my GoPro. Will Sonos be next?
This is stupid. Staying at a rental property with Sonos. I have my own account. Cannot control their system without their login. Cannot change sign in account to use because app does not have the "settings" tab referred to in this thread because the system will not let me connect. App only gets to register speakers page. Reset controller still never gets to a place where you can change registered account. How come I cannot control speakers on a network I am authenticated to? Maybe allow my to at least login and have it use my services. Junk UI.
I find it strange that the comment I added on July 5th has been removed. It was about me contacting Sonos support regarding my displeasure with this login issue and them not responding. The least they could have done is reply to me stating they don't intend to change but they just ignored me. However, they found time to delete my comment because I sided with others on this post about not needing to login. I still have the support ticket number.
My apologies. Sonos did not delete my comment. I mistook which post my comment was on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I agree, terrible user experience. I have been trying for hours to add my 3 sonos speakers and the damn app won't let me because I get a recursive bug requiring me to sign in both on iOS and OS X. $1000 down the drain!

Care to elaborate so we or Sonos can help? Also they do have telephone support lines that can help with technical issues.
I agree, terrible user experience. I have been trying for hours to add my 3 sonos speakers and the damn app won't let me because I get a recursive bug requiring me to sign in both on iOS and OS X. $1000 down the drain!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you're speaker has just "dropped" then you don't need to add it to the system again. Assuming it was properly associated with an existing system in the first place then you have issues with your network or unlikely a faulty speaker.
SONOS, I'm becoming very disappointed in your services. Why do I need an account to add back an existing speaker that has dropped - makes no sense to me at all. I have over $3K worth of SONOS products for the past 5+ years and every time you force a software update - things get worse. Now I have to go through 2 screens to see my favorites list and the new "summary" screen adds no value - just in the way. I purposely don't subscribe to Spotify (and others) who want to get credit card info and then include in the "small print" that you agree to automatic renewals...bad and shady business practice. You should not penalize those of us who don't use Spotify by forcing us to get an account. I get it that you want to sell more product, flood user's mail with marketing/promo, etc. You need to make this an "optional" step. I don't like having my information stored in any cloud (even though I know it's already out there) why would I want it even more places to be possibly stolen? I bought these speakers to use in my home and shouldn't have to "register" anywhere to use them and add an existing speaker back when it falls out of the system for whatever reason. In the past I've highly recommended your product...no more!! Very frustrating had to go through the entire password reset BS this morning to add back an existing speaker... step should have taken 5 mins...frustrating!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You came here just to add that? As an aside, what has been learnt from the "Facebook data abuse" is that despite it Facebook numbers remained the same. I don't know anyone who has come off Facebook for that reason.

As above you could set up a separate email to use with Sonos if it bothers you that much. Pretty much every electronic consumer item wants you to register these days. Although there are few that make this a stipulation of use.
Extraordinary poor judgment to force your customers to log in, in order to use Sonos; have you guys not learnt anything from the FB data abuse and the general trend among customers not wanting to log in/ share private information/ provide emails etc. Will be checking the requirements before buy Sonos again. Just bought a Player5 today
More than likely that account belonged to an installer, and you could have switched it to anything you wish using the Sonos app. If security is your concern, you could have made it a one-off gmail or yahoo account. But don't let that stop a good rant.
Userlevel 1
Made an account just to post a reply here, I'm so happy I'm not the only one having this issue! We are officially done with Sonos. Have used it for over 5 years, and it has been the go to Christmas gift when buying people things. I have never made an account ever. Today I go to add a new Sonos One to my home. The app says I need to log into my account, and then shows j************c@hotmail.com. NO idea who that is, doesn't match any email we have ever seen, doesn't match my initials, my husbands, we have no kids etc (plus who uses hotmail anymore?). Nothing I do would work, so finally I see an option to transfer speakers to a new Sonos account. I enter all my info, it then says my password is too weak, has to be 8 characters and include an uppercase and lowercase character. Are you serious? It's a goddamn speaker! My online BANKING is a 6 digit numerical password only, yet SONOS is soooooo secure that you have to use 8 characters with upper and lower.

I go through all of that, it says press play and volume up to add the speaker, I do that, nothing happens. Try for over 15 minutes, does not work. Finally gave up, returned the speaker to Best Buy plus the Sub and Playbar we bought 2 weeks ago, and am selling all the remaining equipment we have. What a total joke, thanks for locking me out of using my speakers.