Question

Why do I need to press the button on a speaker to make a stereo pair?

• 22 June 2017
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15
  • Local Superstar
  • 1480 replies
I've been creating sets of stereo speakers quite a bit lately with 2 Play:5's. I don't really understand why I need to physically push a button (get out of my chair 🙂 ) when creating the pairing.
When I create it in the app I can tell it which other speaker I wish to be the other speaker in the app - but in the next step I then need to physically press the button on the speaker which is to be the left. Why is this?
Can't it at least be a 'press the button on the speaker' or pick it 'from the two speakers below:' option?
I understand sometimes the left just has to be the left but usually you know which speaker is which or have just moved one into another room and definitely know. And have to get up again when you set the config.. :(
If there is an option of selecting from the list, no one's worse off. 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

In the app I just group without ever leaving my chair. Same thing with the desktop controller. In the app, click the zone name at the top and it drops down to reveal all your zones. Click the Group button and start selecting.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Thanks but I'm not asking about grouping - I do that lots.
I'm asking about stereo pairs where you physically need to tell the system which speaker is the left one - after telling it which speakers you want 'pairing' (in the app).
Ah. My apologies.
That's a good question. Perhaps because Sonos see this is a one time initial setup. If both speakers in the pair are not already on the network, then you would have to press a hard button for setup anyway. I've only done the bonding once or twice, so I don't really recall how the setup goes.

Out of curiosity, are you saying you bond speakers one day, undo the next day, then rebond again another day? Or are you just doing a lot of upgrades and rearranging of your system lately? If it's the former, what's the reason for this, if I might ask?
Is this question a joke? How do you get out of bed in the morning? Jeez, that's once EVERY day. I guess there are lots of smileys in your post.... 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There are a couple reasons for why the button press is needed, I'm not sure the main one. Personally, I think the reason is so that the creator of the stereo pair is very aware of which of the two speakers is going to be the Left side. We don't want anyone confused and getting their sound stage switched on them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
melvimbe, maybe Sonos do see it as a one time initial set up - although, as with many other things, I don't see it as such. However, my question is simply (no John B, it's not a 'joke' - but not a first world issue either) why the first part of the stereo speaker setup is 'on screen' and then the other involves physical interaction. I recall not too long ago just adding a speaker to a system involved pushing a couple of buttons on the device - but doesn't now. I'd suggest that the initial install of a subsequent speaker would be more of a one time thing than moving an existing speaker to a stereo setup - yet it's only the latter that involves pressing buttons on the Sonos device itself.
As to my specific question/use case, it's just something I've done 3 or 4 times over the last week or so (to answer your question, it is because I've moved speakers around a few times the last week or so to enjoy music in the usual place (kitchen) and then again in stereo in the conservatory.) and by the time I've plugged it in and waited for it to connect and sat down and started the 'stereo' setup, I've had the 'd'oh' moment a few times where it asks me to push a button on the speaker - after I've told the system/app which speakers I'm using in my new config.
As I say, it's not a huge issue but still would appreciate an answer on why part of the setup is in the app but the other involves physical interaction.
No biggie, no need to make it one.
I don't know about others, but usually after I've just placed a couple of players and am in the process of pairing them I'm, well, on my feet and near the speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
There are a couple reasons for why the button press is needed, I'm not sure the main one. Personally, I think the reason is so that the creator of the stereo pair is very aware of which of the two speakers is going to be the Left side. We don't want anyone confused and getting their sound stage switched on them.Thanks Ryan - our posts crossed.
Appreciate the answer although I'd suggest users would generally know which is the speaker on the left - and being able to select it physically or in the app would be nice. 🙂