Where's the other half of "Ungroup TV on Autoplay"?

• 31 March 2021
  • 8 replies

I have a Sonos Amp driving my home theater along with a few different Sonos speakers throughout the house. When I play music, they’re all grouped together and sound amazing. When I’m watching TV, the other speakers need to be turned down or muted or it creates a pretty bizarre echo as the dialog is slightly out of sync. Every time I sit down to watch TV I’m in the Sonos app muting other speakers.

Ungroup on Autoplay - this feature is ALMOST perfect. What I’d rather have is “mute other speakers on autoplay” so I don’t have to re-group things when it’s time to play music. Re-grouping takes a lot longer and requires a phone compared to setting volume quickly by tapping the speaker or using voice control.

In fact, my perfect feature request is to remember volume levels for each source.

• Source switches to TV: 25% volume on Amp, 5% volume on all other speakers.
  • Source switches to Spotify: 25% volume on all speakers.

I manually do the two bullets above several times each day.

Anyway, keep on keepin’ on. Love my Sonos system.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

If you use Alexa on Sonos or have an ‘Amazon echo device’ in the home, then you can automate Sonos room grouping with a voice instruction too.

"Alexa play, some music” (or artist/album/playlist/track) can be setup to group the Sonos rooms you choose and play the requested audio. You can also define other groups to play on different configurations, like play on all devices upstairs or downstairs (just as two simple examples

Is this something that is exclusive to Alexa? I set my speakers up with Google Home and don’t see a way to group speakers with Google Home. 

Yes, it’s exclusive to the Amazon Alexa Assistant.

I’ve tried the Soros app and it’s marginally better but I’d like the whole thing to happen without requiring me to reach for my phone. It’s so repetitive that it shouldn’t require manual intervention each time I switch input.

Turn on the TV → reach for phone to fix things.

Start music with voice commands in the kitchen while my hands are covered in food → still have to reach for the phone to fix things.

Remembering volume levels per input would solve my only complaint about my Sonos setup.

If you use Alexa on Sonos or have an ‘Amazon echo device’ in the home, then you can automate Sonos room grouping with a voice instruction too.

"Alexa play, some music” (or artist/album/playlist/track) can be setup to group the Sonos rooms you choose and play the requested audio. You can also define other groups to play on different configurations, like play on all devices upstairs or downstairs (just as two simple examples

Is this something that is exclusive to Alexa? I set my speakers up with Google Home and don’t see a way to group speakers with Google Home. 

I’ve tried the Soros app and it’s marginally better but I’d like the whole thing to happen without requiring me to reach for my phone. It’s so repetitive that it shouldn’t require manual intervention each time I switch input.

Start music with voice commands in the kitchen while my hands are covered in food → still have to reach for the phone to fix things.

Remembering volume levels per input would solve my only complaint about my Sonos setup.

You might be able to combine use of groups with Alexa routines to fully automate what @jonhath is looking for.  Using Alexa groups will work to start music playback for a Sonos group, regardless of the current state of the Sonos rooms, but it won’t turn off, or mute, Sonos rooms from playing when autoplay kicks in.  You would need a routine, or some other automation, to do that.

In general, while I get why it would be nice to have a specific configuration for this use case, I doubt people would want the exact same feature, or would want a modified version of this.  This is really best suited for automation.  For example, I can see myself using this feature of stopping playback of grouped rooms when autoplay in the living room kicks in...but really, I would want to stop playback in the kitchen even if it wasn’t currently grouped with the living room.  At the same time, I would never want the backyard speakers to turn off just because I turned on the TV in the living room.  I’m not saying that either desired behavior is right or wrong, just that the ability to customize behavior is a better solution in the long run.  And of course, many will also want to automate lights and other smart devices as well.

I should just add that the Alexa option doesn’t work for  locally stored music - it’s only for online services like Spotify, Deezer, Amazon Music, TuneIn, Apple Music and other MSP’s.

Userlevel 7

You can use Siri to run the shortcuts or widgets you create with the Soro/Shortcuts app.

Userlevel 7

If you use an iOS device, you should consider using the Soro app. It will allow you to create shortcuts, automations, and widgets to easily and quickly adjust the settings on your Sonos speakers. With Soro and the iOS Shortcuts app, you can create a shortcut or automation to do exactly what you mentioned above. And best of all, you can create a widget for your iPhone that will allow you to activate these shortcuts with one tap.

Read more here: https://apps.apple.com/mg/app/soro-for-sonos/id1550457805