Answered

When would Sonos fix their new crappy app?

• 17 September 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
  • Contributor I
  • 7 replies

AirPlay doesn’t work, or takes forever to start anything. App doesn’t work spewing “can’t connect” “error” and other BS messages.

Everything was fine with the older app. My setup has literally not change, except for this crap new app. Now I’m using my $100 Nokia speaker, because my $5000 Sonos setup is ******* unreachable.

And do not blame this on the “network” or “router” or “user”: I’ve been running a tight performant network for the last 5 years and it only improved in these Covid times.

FIX. THE. APP!

Moderator Note: Edited post inline with the Community guidelines.

icon

Best answer by V H 22 September 2020, 05:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

OK I won’t say it is all network related.  And i won’t say that the app is just a remote control, virtually identical to the S1 app and cannot be responsible for those sorts of symptoms.  I won’t say that I have been using S2 without a hitch.

And I am afraid that if you are looking for changes to the S2 app to sort out your problems then you will wait forever.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for calling me an idiot in so many words! That’s exactly what I needed!

I guess the rest of the posts on this forum, like

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/sonos-s2-system-not-working-well-6845266
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/s2-for-iphone-does-not-work-6842411
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/s2-blew-up-my-whole-system-6844806

also without merit.

I need exactly 2 scenarios to work

1. AirPlay from any i-device.
  2. Stream from Spotify/Podcast/Music.

Currently neither is working. The only thing working is starting something from the Sonos app itself. This has been going on for a while and I’ve been tolerating it, hoping you guys would fix the app eventually.

If this goes on for much longer, I’ll find a way to make those scenarios work. Might not include the Sonos platform though. Classic example of ruining a good product with crap software.

Airplay functionality does not operate through the Sonos app on your iphone.  The Sonos app would not even need to be installed for airplay to work.  If airplay isn’t working the likely issue is that your phone isn’t connected to the same WiFi network, or there’s an issue with your network setup.  You can obviously confirm the former...for the latter, unplugging routers then speaker, and then plugging back in, often resolves issues.  Some routers are not very good at managing IP address conflicts, and this can resolve.  IP address conflict often aren’t an issue for other devices on the network.

Not exactly sure what you mean by scenario 2.  Are you casting from the Spotify app, or using the Sonos app to select Spotify streaming services?  It’s a bit confusing as your first post stated that the Sonos app could not connect, but now you’re stating that you can start streams through the Sonos app?

Please note that the regulars on here have been around for years, seeing lots of people sure that they know what the problem is, the app is crap, and all that...only to find out that they misdiagnosed the issue if they knew what they were talking about at all.  It’s understandable that you wish to vent, but it doesn’t really motivate people to want to give you advice to help get your system working properly again.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I understand full well AirPlay does not operate though the app. It appears to me that you want to be technically correct. Well you are, but it doesn’t help 1 iota. Congrats!

When the app was installed, the simultaneous “software update” on all of the products happened. I was not able to use the speakers while this was in progress. After that the problems started. So when I say “fix the app”, I mean that you guys should fix whatever software this app directed the devices to use. Or both.

I stated above I tried “turning it off and on again?”: this did not help. I will try the static IP’s this weekend; however i’d expect a product in this price range to not expect users to know what a DHCP is.

Answering your question: I’m selecting “Play on” from Spotify app. Spotify and Sonos have been connected I was told that when I do this, Playback actually occurs on Sonos platform, rather then being streamed from the device. Hope this clears out your confusion: I need Spotify to work(as it had been flawlessly before) and I need AirPlay to work.

Finally, I was trying to start playback from the Spotify app inside the Sonos app(Browse tab). That has been spewing out errors, but eventually starting playback.

If it’s Sonos’s attempt to pretty much force everyone to use the Sonos App all the time… well, just be forthcoming with it then.

Yes I am frustrated, and, I believe, for a good reason.

PS: it appears to me that AirPlay works: it does discovery and it initiates playback. Then the speaker/group seems to be talking to ????? and decides to not play/respond in timely manner.

I understand full well AirPlay does not operate though the app. It appears to me that you want to be technically correct. Well you are, but it doesn’t help 1 iota. Congrats!

My comment wasn’t about being technically correct, it’s to provide information that you didn’t seem to have.

When the app was installed, the simultaneous “software update” on all of the products happened. I was not able to use the speakers while this was in progress. After that the problems started. So when I say “fix the app”, I mean that you guys should fix whatever software this app directed the devices to use. Or both.

I stated above I tried “turning it off and on again?”: this did not help. I will try the static IP’s this weekend; however i’d expect a product in this price range to not expect users to know what a DHCP is.

You did not state above that you tried turning it off and on again.  Not sure where your quote is coming from, perhaps one the threads you linked.

Answering your question: I’m selecting “Play on” from Spotify app. Spotify and Sonos have been connected I was told that when I do this, Playback actually occurs on Sonos platform, rather then being streamed from the device. Hope this clears out your confusion: I need Spotify to work(as it had been flawlessly before) and I need AirPlay to work.

Finally, I was trying to start playback from the Spotify app inside the Sonos app(Browse tab). That has been spewing out errors, but eventually starting playback.

Yes, that does clarify your issue.  Hopefully someone can use that information to help you.

If it’s Sonos’s attempt to pretty much force everyone to use the Sonos App all the time… well, just be forthcoming with it then.

Airplay and casting works perfectly fine, with exceptions like you.  They are not forcing everyone to use the Sonos app.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you so much Danny, If only I knew that I was the exception… that helped a lot! Not.

You guys know that only 1 out of 100 customers(if not less) would complain here. Since this morning another
https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/sonos-controller-errors-6848274

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/is-sonos-s2-a-lemon-6843862

threads pop up. So you have 100s if not 1000s of people experiencing this. Exactly the same stuff I’m experiencing. And yet Sonos insists we collect data and send it to them.

Factory reset, static IP… all of that could have been avoided. Not a given this will help. I’ll report on this thread once I try all of this out. and support.

If Sonos wants to force everyone to use their app, why would they support airplay and casting at all? You made a nonsense claim. My exception comment was about your ridiculous claim, not as a solution to your problem, obviously.

But whatever, hope you fix your problem. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Happy to report back.

No DHCP necessary. No changes to router/network necessary.

To solve problem 1(AirPlay): hard reboot speakers. Let them join the network 1 by 1, so that they show up in the app one by one(no race conditions, please!)

To solve problem 2(Spotify): got to Spotify account website. Click Apps(not available in the app itself). Deauthorise Sonos. If you open Spotify app - you’ll still see your speakers: do not pay attention. Open Sonos app instead and and follow the process to re-authorise. Restart both apps. Spotify works now.