Answered

When is iPhone X coming to trueplay?

• 12 December 2017
  • 29 replies

I just upgraded my phone and now can't use trueplay. Very disappointing 😞
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 13 December 2017, 20:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

I added 2- Play:1s to upgrade to surround sound, but cannot use Trueplay to optimize my setup because of my iPhone X.
iPhone X has been available for over a month (iPhone 8 for much longer). C'mon Sonos.

I agree: very disappointing.:(
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You don't have an older iPhone you can use to do the one time calibration.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We're hard at work getting the iPhone 8 and X certified for Trueplay. We don't have a specific release date to share yet, but we'll be getting it out as soon as it's ready.
Appreciate your efforts and will be very happy when the two can connect.

We're hard at work getting the iPhone 8 and X certified for Trueplay. We don't have a specific release date to share yet, but we'll be getting it out as soon as it's ready.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

The iPhone 8 has been out for over 3 months, the iPhone X has been out for over 2 months, and it has been almost a month since you said you guys were "hard at work", yet there is still nothing. What is going on?
Do you really think they can develop, unit test, QA test, beta test, and create a release in 3 months, along with coordinating all the other changes going on? I'm afraid that is a unrealistic expectation. The software development cycle is not that fast. Be patient. It will be here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
They have to get the phones first, before the process can even start. And they usually like to get a variety of them over time, to ensure that the microphone quality is relatively consistent (one of the reasons that Android doesn't have TruePlay is because they found too many inconsistencies in microphone quality, even within the same model of phone!).

THEN they can get started with their analysis, development, testing, etc. I'm sure they're working on it as fast as they can. Patience is a virtue, but it's necessary when talking about software development.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Do you really think they can develop, unit test, QA test, beta test, and create a release in 3 months, along with coordinating all the other changes going on? I'm afraid that is a unrealistic expectation. The software development cycle is not that fast. Be patient. It will be here.

Well, yes. They announced Trueplay for the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus on December 14, 2016, just under 3 months after the new iPhones became available (they were released on September 16, 2016).
[ https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/trueplay-tuning-now-available-with-iphone-7-and-7-plus-6762583 ]

So I guess if I'm expecting them to repeat what they did before, it's not that unrealistic, is it? In fact, it's been almost 4 weeks past the timeframe they released the update last year.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
They have to get the phones first, before the process can even start. And they usually like to get a variety of them over time, to ensure that the microphone quality is relatively consistent (one of the reasons that Android doesn't have TruePlay is because they found too many inconsistencies in microphone quality, even within the same model of phone!).

THEN they can get started with their analysis, development, testing, etc. I'm sure they're working on it as fast as they can. Patience is a virtue, but it's necessary when talking about software development.

They announced Trueplay for the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus on December 14, 2016, just under 3 months after the new iPhones became available (they were released on September 16, 2016).
[ https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/trueplay-tuning-now-available-with-iphone-7-and-7-plus-6762583 ]

I have been patient; more time has passed this year than last year when they made Trueplay available for the iPhones that were new. This is the first time I am asking for an update.
I suggest they have more things going on now, as stated above.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I suggest they have more things going on now, as stated above.

Such as?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Continued alexa work
Airplay2
Audible
Google home
App layout updates

Yes lots.

I expect 8 and x support in month or so.
And that's just the stuff we think they're working on. Since they don't share their roadmap with up, there could be a plethora of additional items on that list.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, as of today Trueplay should be available for the iPhone X. Go ahead and make sure you're on version 8.3 and try it out.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Hi everyone, as of today Trueplay should be available for the iPhone X. Go ahead and make sure you're on version 8.3 and try it out.

I tried it out and it won't work. I go through all the steps and it gets stuck on the screen that says it's adapting the speaker sound. I've tried force quitting the app twice, restarted my iPhone, nothing. Anyone else having this issue? I have an iPhone X running iOS 11.2.5.
Badge

Just tried and it worked great for me. Thank you!
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Tried again tonight and it still won't work. It gets stuck on this screen (I waited 3 minutes, and it was still stuck on the screen; tried force quitting the app, and trying again, but it got stuck on the same screen):

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would reboot your sonos unit and phone.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I would reboot your sonos unit and phone.

I've done that already but I'll try again later.
Just as a wild guess, I'd also try rebooting your router. Can't hurt, at the very least 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Still nothing. I force quit the Sonos app. Turned my phone off. Unplugged the Sonos PLAY:1. Rebooted the router. Plugged the PLAY:1 back in. Turned my phone back on. Opened the Sonos app. Went through the 12 taps (why so many taps?!?) to get to where it plays the sounds for Trueplay. And still nothing. I've been sitting here with my phone for 4 minutes now, stuck on the "Adapting speaker sound..." screen.

I've now wasted probably 30-40 minutes on this stupid issue. TruePlay worked fine on my previous iPhone on my other 7 Sonos speakers, so I don't know why it's so borked on this one.
Seems certainly odd, and I can understand your frustration. Perhaps this might be best handled by a phone call to Sonos ? I'm certainly out of suggestions, but they may be able to help you better than those of us in the boards.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Seems certainly odd, and I can understand your frustration. Perhaps this might be best handled by a phone call to Sonos ? I'm certainly out of suggestions, but they may be able to help you better than those of us in the boards.

Thanks, I appreciate your empathy.
I just tried it on my iPhone X and it also gets stuck on the "Adapting Speaker Sound ..." page. Unless that is supposed to take an hour? How long does this process take for the people for who it worked?
Why isn't there a message from Sonos regarding the fact that Trueplay doesn't work with iPhone 8 and X? Then we wouldn't be wasting our time trying it over and over. When it's fixed, shouldn't we get an update from Sonos letting us know? For the money, these very simple steps that keep up up to date should be more robust.