What's going on with Sonos?

• 17 May 2015
  • 7 replies

I've been a Sonos customer for almost 4 years now. I started with a Sonos Connect:Amp and loved it so much, I continued adding components (2x Play:5, 3x Play:3, and a Sub - have been considering 2x Play:1 and a Playbar). Additionally, in boasting about the simplicity and stability of Sonos, many of my friends and colleagues have also added Sonos to their life. Unfortunately, over the past year - each update causes more problems. It's to the point now where I dread updates and delay updating itself until I'm no longer able to run my system without updating. I'm not sure what you guys are doing - but I'm getting really tired of resetting my entire system, fiddling with switching router brands, and struggling through non-responsive music services every time you feel like making some incremental update to a system that worked pretty much flawlessly 4 years ago. Sonos definitely seems to have lost touch with the user friendliness that sold me as a customer. I'm really hoping you get it back together.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi JM. I can only sympathise with you. There have been a few changes, major and minor, luckily for me the bugs were sorted. I don't work for sonos but i don't think they would do this Intentionally. Its got to have a place like forum this to report any issues. Hopefully you will get these issues fixed quickly and all runs smooth again for you. Sorry to hear your troubles especially with all the equipment you have purchased. Good luck P.s why don't you submit a bug report and incident number, they can also help over the phone. Regards Stephen (This is in no way to brag about my system or upset you-just wishing you all the best to get yours fixed ASAP)
Userlevel 1
Badge
**As you will see beta 4.3 is now open to public. Have a look at the fixes and see if any concern You. Can't be any worse for you. Worth a try. Cheers
I like SONOS….when it works. it seems overtime i use it now i use it for the day and the next its telling me it won’t connect and i should reset my router, or turn my WIFI off and then….Really?? Come on guys tell us whats up here. Are SONOS becoming paper weights soon??? or can you offer some kind of solution here. I am thinking about an alternative solution very soon. Really too bad.:(
It's your network at fault, nothing has changed within the Sonos system. Submit a diagnostic, post the number here and let Sonos support take a look.
Connection problems which appear suddenly are most often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. Constantly rebooting devices or your router without resetting your entire network can exacerbate these duplicates, because all you do is perpetuate the cycle. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. Doing this is the single most important step you can perform to make your network woes go away. See your router manual for details.
This is so true,
I've been a Sonos customer for almost 4 years now. I started with a Sonos Connect:Amp and loved it so much, I continued adding components.... (2x Connect Amp, a Boost and have been considering a Playbar)..... Unfortunately, over the past year - each update causes more problems. It's to the point now where I dread updates and delay updating itself until I'm no longer able to run my system without updating. I'm not sure what you guys are doing - but I'm getting really tired of resetting my entire system, fiddling with switching router brands, and struggling through non-responsive music services every time you feel like making some incremental update to a system that worked pretty much flawlessly 4 years ago. Sonos definitely seems to have lost touch with the user friendliness that sold me as a customer. I'm really hoping you get it back together.

What are you doing and why? I just don't understand why each update requires
- Sign in on (random) devices
- Almost complete failure of the entire system (i.e. some components or controllers work, others don't)

Why?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
More updates recently as changing market and Sonos has to keep up with trends like voice.

Login is required part of the voice control.

Anyone who has problems after update 98% are IP address conflicts. These have to be manually resolved or if user assigns the units permanent ip addresses in router they would alleviate those issues primarily as well. Most people don’t know how or are stubborn and don’t assign the addresses. Then as any network device issues pop up when reboot happen and router misassigns ip adresses. Happens about every time there is an iOS update too and iPhones then don’t connect properly to networks. Most of these problems are not seen with normal devices as if thy lose packets they just ask again and user doesn’t notice. Streaming music you see every issue.