what on earth are Sonos doing with iPhone and iPad playback?

Badge
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 3 replies
I refer to the fact that Sonos just announce, with no thought whatsoever, that they are dropping support for IOS devices. I think this is absolutely disgusting and totally abhorrent. What a way to treat loyal customers. I have Play 1 speakers and the big white box that sits under the tv. I spent a lot of money on this, which , as a pensioner living alone I had to struggle to find. The kit is only just over a year old. It is now going to be useless. Then there is the vast amount I have shelled out buying the music to play on Sonos from ITunes. Well over a grand and you just blithely announce I won’t be able to play this music any more. This is a disgrace. An absolutely diabolical disgrace. I do not play the music in any other way, only on Sonos. My evenings are now going to be distinctly quiet. I needed Sonos to remain sane. What a total waste of money. What absolute swines Sonos are. Your pathetic alternatives are just that - pathetic. Buy some new speakers. Absolute insulting nonsense. I have speakers. Now useless, of course. I can’t afford new speakers. I cannot pay out more money on a streaming service. I do not want to pay Apple. I deleted their storage system as too expensive. Your third option is total gibberish. It does not make sense and is way beyond any normal persons ability to achieve. I bought Sonos for its simplicity not to get involved in some tech I have no way of understanding. I want my money back from Sonos or I want free new speakers. You have conned me. You are fraudsters. You are an absolute disgrace. Four hundred pounds on new Apple speakers, almost the cost of the player to buy, just to carry on playing the music I already have. You are crazy. Why are you doing this? Are you going to give me my money back? Or do I have to sue you for it? §

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

@dc9 - are you still there? I am concerned that you might have had a heart attack.

You may find the following article on setting up a Sonos music library useful:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/257?language=en_US&utm_medium=manage&utm_source=doc-care&utm_content=english-doc-care-manage

What you clearly failed to grasp is that the Sonos app is just a controller, and the means to select and play music from all the sources available to Sonos. In that respect, the Sonos app for iPhone / iPad will continue unchanged. What is changing is that the music stored on the device will no longer be playable. You seemed to believe that all use of iPhones and iPads was being discontinued. This is not the case. You can use the app to control music stored on your computer.

Whatever you may think, I understand EXACTLY what is going on here.
Read the announcement thread for why this is happening and what you can do. More constructive than ill-informed rants and threats.
Completely agree with dc9, and why exactly people are jumping to support sonos is beyond me. I don’t understand why sonos have chosen to remove support for playing songs from iPhone, For me this renders my whole system completely and utterly useless, if I had known they were going to come up with such stupendous changes I would never have contemplated buying in first place. I can only think some of you work for Sonos.

So our Sonos going to reimburse me now but I have a completely useless system on my hands? Very doubtful I will be spreading the word far and wide my experience, 100,000 followers.

Link to your Twitter feed, please?
So every time I want to change my playlist or choose a song I have to walk all over the house to the computer?
No this is what you have fundamentally misunderstood. You would do a one-time setup of your music library on Sonos, then use your i-devices to select and play the music almost indistinguishably from what you do now.

I am not a Sonos employee.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Oh good, another thread on a topic already covered at length in several others.

Yet another rant rant at Sonos rather than Apple, and an unwillingness to implement the alternatives that have been suggested.

Sure, it changes how you can use your speakers, but it doesn’t make them useless.

Please, read the announcement again, and what has been suggested as an alternative means of listening to stored music.
What is embarrassing.... every time I want to change my playlist or choose a song I have to walk all over the house to the computer?
The quoted combination of your sentences is what is embarrassing. Do you use Sonos or is this just a nice place to rant?
Completely agree with dc9, and why exactly people are jumping to support sonos is beyond me. I don’t understand why sonos have chosen to remove support for playing songs from iPhone, For me this renders my whole system completely and utterly useless, if I had known they were going to come up with such stupendous changes I would never have contemplated buying in first place. I can only think some of you work for Sonos.

So our Sonos going to reimburse me now but I have a completely useless system on my hands? Very doubtful I will be spreading the word far and wide my experience, 100,000 followers.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
what on earth are Sonos doing with iPhone and iPad playback?

Simple answer? They're removing the "on this device" feature for iOS users.

Android users are not affected.
Sonos are not ending support for iOS devices. It will no longer be possible to play music stored on an iPhone or iPad using 'on this iPhone/iPad'. There are other options for playing the music you have purchased. If you have music stored on a computer, or could do so, the cost would be zero.

This has not been done 'with no thought whatsoever' and your rant is rather embarrassing, to be honest. What is 'four hundred pounds for Apple speakers' about, for example?
Badge
What is embarrassing for you is that you have clearly not grasped what is going on. Quote from the Sonos message, “this feature (the play from iPhone/IPad) will no longer be available in the Sonos App. Therefore Sonos are ending support for this feature. Pay attention. The alternatives are extortionately expensive, new speakers, streaming services, or that nonsense with a computer. So every time I want to change my playlist or choose a song I have to walk all over the house to the computer? Nonsense. Stop being an apologist for them. Are you a Sonos employee? Sounds like it. I suggest you actually read what they say first. Sonos are a disgrace. Boycott them. Sue them.