What new useful features does S2 have for my use case?

• 11 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Sonos support folks on here have stated that the nag message to upgrade to S2 will not be cleared for users with fully-S2-compatible systems, that they want us using S2 so we don’t miss out on useful new features. 

Here is my system’s use case - 3 Play:3s, 8 or 9 Play:1s. None are set up as stereo pairs. We don’t have Sonos connected to our home theater.  We don’t use any voice assistants aside from Siri on our phones. Don’t use Airplay. We use Pandora and Spotify and Amazon Music, and have some audio files on a NAS server.  We use a couple of Alarms to start music playing in a few rooms at various times of the day.  That’s pretty much it.

I would love the ability to schedule grouping/ungrouping at certain times and play music to the new group. I see that asked for quite a bit. 

So, honest question: what new and exciting features does S2 offer me that would make me want to irreversibly change my system? How will S2 make my particular use case any better than what I can do in S1?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I have stayed on S1 because I don't want to junk hardware in perfect working condition and have no direct experience of S2; but from all accounts for your use case apart from some eye candy stuff for the UI in S2, there is no benefit.

Currently, I believe the main difference between the two is Sonos HD radio and the new speaker definitions (Arc, Sonos Five, Sub Gen 3, Move, Roam).  

I expect them to continue to deviate over time. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I bought a ZP90, after adding that and doing the compatibility check the nagging banner for S2 at the top has gone (for now!).