Question

What is the point of Sonos thumbs up/down?

• 24 December 2014
  • 5 replies

Badge +3
I use Spotify and Google Music through Sonos. No local media. I assume this is the way everyone is going or will be going.

When playing on Sonos you get the option to Thumbs Up/Down a song as it's playing and it then says that will affect recommendations. But how will it? Is that solely for Sonos and local media or does it affect your Spotify/Google Music recommendations?

I thumbed up a song through Sonos thinking it might mirror the thumbs up in Google Music but it didn't. So what did it do? Am I right in thinking nothing at all?

If it essentially does nothing for streaming users then can it be changed so a thumbs up/down in Sonos will mirror on the streaming service?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Also curious.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The thumbs up and down will only show when you're playing music using a service that has Like and Dislike (or similar preference controls). They are specific to the service you're using. When you like a song using the thumbs up for Google Play, for example, it will mark that track on the Google Play Radio station you're listening to, and the service will adjust the radio accordingly.

This feature isn't Sonos specific and only show for services with the option.
Badge +3
The thumbs up and down will only show when you're playing music using a service that has Like and Dislike (or similar preference controls). They are specific to the service you're using. When you like a song using the thumbs up for Google Play, for example, it will mark that track on the Google Play Radio station you're listening to, and the service will adjust the radio accordingly.

This feature isn't Sonos specific and only show for services with the option.

Thanks. In Google Music if you thumbs up something it adds to the thumbs up playlist. This doesn't happen in Sonos though.

Is that by design or something you may add?

It's a pain if you are listening through the Sonos app and hear something you wanna add to the thumbs up playlist as it means going into the Google Music app, finding the song and then giving it the thumbs up there. Edit: ah nevermind. It does mirror to the google music playlist! It just takes ages for it to update.
hmm.. When I play from my local library, and have the thumbs up/down options. Do they produce some kind of playlist for my local library?
Update: I was wrong. I was actually using Google Play. Never mind 🙂