Question

What do you think of the new 6.4 software?

• 17 September 2016
  • 45 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15
  • Local Superstar
  • 1483 replies
A poll to see who prefers the older or the newer software version.
Opinion seems very strong.

EDIT: I can't edit but would like POLL: In front of the thread title.

What do you think of the new 6.4 software?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

45 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea you gotta do the poll first
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Even though I said a Poll it seems to still want a separate title and comment. Hopefully the poll appears for others to see and vote.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I am a no answer on the Poll as I don't want Sonos to roll back (and they categorically will not role back software) I want them to improve next version and bring back better options to secure the queue and keep play now from interrupting music.

Sonos WILL NOT role back software - this was a huge topic in the 5.0 software update.

My bar tablet is safely still on the old version.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I haven't suggested that they should or would. The option is that IF you had the option to revert would you? I certainly would, until the time that it was improved. I wouldn't want to willfully sit on this version if I didn't need to - while changes were being made.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Roll back to a previous version wholesale .....not necessarily needing that. Rolling back some of these features I absolutely support. Not a single person has been able to tell me the need to delete/replace queues from single taps. A philosophical hard line on refusing to roll back features that have made the user experience worse is the wrong way to go. At the end it will be up to Sonos to gauge what has been the overall impact of this "upgrade"!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
We just need some Sonos executives to have their first party with guests.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Had my first party tonight since 6.4. No one replaced the queue completely but there was a LOT of inadvertent Play Now killing whatever was playing
Had my first party tonight since 6.4. No one replaced the queue completely but there was a LOT of inadvertent Play Now killing whatever was playing

You must not have handed out the manuals. 😉
We just need some Sonos executives to have their first party with guests.
Given the nature of my use, I am not seeing enough change in the user experience to get excited about it - in either direction. What puzzles me though is that I don't remember seeing as much reaction to the public beta as I am seeing now. Did Sonos do things beyond what was in that? Or did I miss seeing these reactions then, and Sonos simply ignored them?
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Most of what is being said now was said at time of Beta testing. It's just that I suppose some hoped that it would not have reached release in that form. Also it appears a number of persons have now joined the community for the main purpose of letting their voice be heard in terms of dislike for the new controller software.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7

You must not have handed out the manuals. ;)

All parties must hereby start with a Sonos playlist safety briefing going forward :o))
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There just weren't as many people trying the beta. Now hat full release people are seeing it for the first time. Actually - the play now issue wasn't in early betas as far as I remember. Play now was added mid cycle with the problem we are now seeing. But the issue was well pointed out in beta!
There just weren't as many people trying the beta. Now hat full release people are seeing it for the first time. Actually - the play now issue wasn't in early betas as far as I remember. Play now was added mid cycle with the problem we are now seeing. But the issue was well pointed out in beta!
But many of the people grumbling loudly now are regulars here, who must have been loudly vocal on the beta as well??

And in general, from seeing conversations on public beta releases in the past, I have come to think that these are pointless. Sonos doesn't do anything in response to anything that is said about them, for the formal release. AFAIK.
As a predominantly IOS household, participating in the beta is a pain. I gave up a few versions ago.

Apple has a mechanism called "Testflight" that allows beta testing but Sonos doesn't use it.

Hence, Sonos miss out on beta testing from a large slice of the user community.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have been grumbling loudly for some time
There just weren't as many people trying the beta.
This munted forum platform may be responsible for that. Since the asteroid hit this has become a comparative ghost town.

Also all of the discussion was happen up in Announcements, which may not be where people drift into.. Given that Sonos blogs are closed to comments, I initially assumed that Announcements were also.
As a predominantly IOS household, participating in the beta is a pain. I gave up a few versions ago.

But hey, you have the Trueplay thing:-)

I gave up on public beta participation even without being IOS centric. Little gain from participating, and too many updates to the beta that needed more effort to get them installed than what the formal releases do, and much of it is tinkering around the fringes anyway.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Apple has a mechanism called "Testflight" that allows beta testing but Sonos doesn't use it.

Hence, Sonos miss out on beta testing from a large slice of the user community.

What's the particular pain in participating as an iOS user? I was able to participate without much issue.
Don't IOS devices lose significant functionality when public beta updates are installed?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
iOS beta are private betas. If you did an iOS beta you were not public as far as I know.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
iOS beta are private betas. If you did an iOS beta you were not public as far as I know.

Aah! I now retraced some steps in my email. I am part of a privately recruited Beta program for iOS users apparently. Forgot that!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
therefore you shouldn't discuss that part publically as you have.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
when public betas are used which have no ios version then your ios version stays at the previous level and you therefore on ios devices lose some of the setup options.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
I think this poll could end up being misleading as people who like it will not necessarily come on to this forum and vote. As I have said before I personally love the changes and definitely would not want to go back to the old version. The only thing Sonos can do to please everyone is to implement a configuration option, or perhaps introduce some form of lock for the queue. I can understand though, why Sonos may be reluctant to do this as the user experience will vary depending upon configuration and could cause confusion when someone connects to a different users system.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They will be confused already then because controller I will share with them will be old 6.3