Answered

what acts as the master

hey all, i have had the same setup for years a play five or play one in every room and a sonos connect to control it all. I recently added a playbar and ive been told i dont need the connect any longer. does the playbar take over as master ?

note all speakers are wireless but the connect is wired

thanks !

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 11 May 2022, 23:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

In terms of network, your Connect is currently establishing Sonosnet and all streaming content will go through it to the rest of your speakers.  Any wired speaker can do this function, not just your Connect.  However, you can also operate your system in ‘wireless’ mode, with each speaker connected to your router over your routers Wifi. This really doesn’t have anything to do with adding in the playbar, as you can operate in wireless mode with or without the playbar.  

The term ‘master’ though, is often thought of as which speaker/room is getting the music stream and sharing it with other rooms when grouped.  That really depends on how the request to play music is made and varies with each request.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Is it really a Sonos Connect? Form your description it sounds more like you where using a Sonos Boost (or its predecessor the Bridge) to start a Sonosnet. Cable connecting a speaker will also result in all speakers switching to Sonosnet. If you where using a Sonos Bridge before: it is known to fail giving connection issues, so you could either cable connect a speaker or switch the system to wifi.