Web browser controller for Sonos

• 25 December 2018
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi all,

I have released a Sonos controller for the web browser. It’s still in development, but I think you’ll really enjoy it. Merry Christmas!

Check it out here:

https://github.com/Villarrealized/sonos-web

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Looks nice. Look forward to trying it out.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Painful install process (on Windows) and then page displays but no content ... ???

Nice try - but ...
Userlevel 2
Badge
Painful install process (on Windows) and then page displays but no content ... ???

Nice try - but ...

Hi there! I have tried to make the install process as easy as possible. What did you find painful about it?

Also, I recently was in conversation with a friend that had the same issue of not seeing any of his speakers show up. I believe I have fixed this with a recent update. If you can, uninstall and reinstall and try again!

I’m constantly making improvements and working to add more features and fix bugs, so please let me know if you’re able to get it working.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Okay! I'll try again and report back

1. Takes about 40 mins. to install ... ?

2. version 1.0.1 still shows nothing
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hmm. 40 mins is very unreasonable. I have installed it on macOS, Linux, and Windows 7 and for me it takes at most (on Windows 7, older machine) 5-10 mins. And at best around 1 minute on my Mac.

What are the specs of the computer you are running? Also, what web browser are you using? I have tested it on the latest versions of both Chrome and Safari with no issues.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Win 7 on old netbook (Atom)

Opera and Chrome
Userlevel 2
Badge
Interesting. I installed it in a couple minutes on a Raspberry Pi 3. No powerhouse by any means. The issue is probably either with your internet speed in downloading the packages, or something to do with npm being slow on your machine.

I have updated the cli installer to v1.3.0. You can run npm update -g sonos-web-cli and then run sonos-web install and try again.
Thank you very much for this controller. My goal is to integrate this via iFrame to my openHAB smart home dashboard. I‘m able to group/ungroup players, play and pause. Unfortunatelly the library results in a 404 error.

I‘m using Ubuntu 18.04 server and version 0.7.0 of Sonos Web. Is there anythin I‘m missing? Would it be possible to access Sonos favorites?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi tailor,

Would you please open up an issue on the repo? https://github.com/Villarrealized/sonos-web/issues

It will be more helpful to have the history and discussion there.

Glad you are finding it useful! Hopefully we can figure out your issue.

Yes, in the next release I’m planning on adding Sonos Playlists and Favorites.
Ok, I have to revise my statement...I think it‘s not a bug. As soon as I added a local source for music (mp3s on NAS) the error disappeard and covers became visible.

To be honest my music sources are actually only Spotify and TuneIn.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I see. Yes, at the moment it only accesses your local music library. My plan is to add support for some other Music Services as one of the next higher priority objectives.

Sonos Favorites and Playlists coming soon too.
Thank you! Just installed on Ubuntu 18.04 (after fixing some annoying npm dependency problems). Works great, I hope to finally get around to learning nodejs and hope to contribute. So far, just using the My Sonos - Favorites to play my Pandora stations.
Hi,

ive just installed this on my Windows Machine to test with (if all goes well i'll move to a Raspberry Pi) I've found the program won't start. looks as though a windows service dashost.exe is taking up port 5050 how do i change the port the sonos-web listens on?

cheers,
Haven't tried changing it, but look at the files ".env.*" in the "server" folder. I think the "production" one is used. On Windows, you'll have to show hidden files as the files start with a dot.