We want SONOS App dark mode back!

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I like the light background.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

163 replies

Userlevel 2
I agree! This white theme is much too bright!
Userlevel 2
We use an old iPad 2 as our kitchen controller / music cover art. Now it's our kitchen flashlight. In an attempt to mimic Apple Music's white scheme you've forgotten to think like your customers first and foremost. Come to think of it, how many home or commercial music expericies do you prefer to be lit super bright with a cold white light? House parties? Nah. Relaxing by the fire? Nope. Netflix and chill? No way. #bringbacktheblack
Userlevel 2
Badge
Same here, I have an iPad mounted in the kitchen and it's become either a beacon or the sun! Just downloaded SonosPad cleaner and darker....
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Whoever is in charge of the new app design totally dropped the ball on that one. How a company like Sonos can let this slip is completely beyond me.

So you have UI designer that thought white background was a good idea.
A product manager that's happy with it too.
A project manager that can't be bothered.
Developers that didn't care.
QA team that did not mind.
A CTO which did not take a look at the app.
A CEO that's just using voice control.

Anyone on that chain surely lacks the passion your users have for your products. Hope it gets fixed soon.
Userlevel 1
Badge
+4 in this family #bringbacktheblack
Userlevel 1
White background is horrible, cant believe there is no option for both light and dark and such a premium product,
Userlevel 2
Badge
I'd like to have the option dark and light. For now its Sonospad...
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Just downloaded Sonopad again. Man what a relief to my eyes again. Nice dark colors, pfew....

Thanks for the reminder!

I've played a bit with Sonopad some years ago, at that point I was missing too much functionality to make it my primary controller. But now it's a serious alternative for the official Sonos app.
I'm pleased to see Sonopad evolved to a very capable Sonos controller. And I love the consistency of the app over the years; where Sonos seems to change their app for the sake of change, Sonopad actually improved the functionality of the app.

I did some testing with Sonopad on my iPad Mini and Sonos app on my wife's iPad Air2. Sonopad is at least as fast running on the older iPad, but also for most daily activities I do with Sonos, I need equal or less buttons to press.

Very nice, I removed the Sonos app and I'm now formal user of Sonopad!
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
I have requested some updates to the Windows PC version. I guess I will take that back and just ask to not touch it, LOL
Userlevel 3
Hating this new app layout and the white is awful. Took away a nice looking dark app for this!
PLEASE, old app look and feel with latest functionality. Ta.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Cross posted from another thread - I made the mistake of telling Google Store to update the Sonos app. Once the app updated it self and all my speakers were upgraded, I found the new UI to be terrible and not have dark backgrounds, among many other issues. I uninstalled the 8.0 app and found an apk mirror for Sonos 7.4, I reverted back to 7.4 for android to get the original, useful UI back that also has the wonderful dark backgrounds and a host of other things. No issues so far... 🙂
I don't recall seeing the new white background going through Beta.

Please give us the option to switch between the white and black background. Thanks.
Personally (and from all of my family) the new app stinks. Can I return to the old one ..... and if so how?
Userlevel 2
As others have said. Simply give the option of white on black or black on white. It can't be that hard can it? I updated on my work phone to test it out, needless to say I won't be updating it on my own phone.
Also, why now does it scroll across the artist and track info of what you are listening too? Before it was simply written down in smaller lettering. It's always a step backwards isn't it?
Oh, and the artwork is smaller now, and there is no nice silhouette effect in the music queue, how is that better?
Userlevel 5
Badge
I started this thread because I had just recently set up Sonos just a few weeks ago. I was so glad to find that the app was easy to see in all ambient light conditions and also very easy to use. Then the update happened and those two most basic qualities were undone.

Sonos Tech, could we please have an option for dark background app, or maybe to go back one version and keep it there?
There must be many users, possibly even the majority of them, who feel the same but not speaking up about this.

Thanks for building the beautiful speaker systems.

Thanks for all the replies.
Userlevel 3
The white colour is just one problem. The other, much bigger problem is the step backwards in software design. If you try to do something, you need to press twice amount of keys like before! The icons doesn't fit anymore on the screen, you need to slide the screen left/right, up/down. Maybe it looks modern for you, but it is definetly difficulter to control. In short term: it is a joke! I don't see the point for the change. Please explain me, WHY?
Userlevel 3
It is simply: fire this software engineer, and switch back to the old one, job done.
We all can make mistakes, just try to corrigate it! 😉
Userlevel 3
Sadly, sonopad is only for Apple products. Anyone know something for Android phone? Need a useable controller, the original one is now terrible!
Badge
#KILLTHEWHITE
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks for the feedback everyone. We hear you, and I completely understand your frustration. Sometimes the app can be too bright. Turning the screen brightness definitely helps, but it's not the same.

We've been sharing with the development team so they can look into this. I don't have any specifics to share, but I want to assure you that this is just the start of the new app. You'll see it improve in a number of ways as we go. As soon as there's any word we can share with you all, we'll let you know!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Sadly, sonopad is only for Apple products. Anyone know something for Android phone? Need a useable controller, the original one is now terrible!

Just google 'Sonos 7.4 apk' and install the old version again
Userlevel 2
Badge
It's not just the glaring white UI that's a change for the worse. It's more clunky example: the icons along the bottom add nothing but clutter and less ease of use. Another peeve - using Google Play Music, If I am listening and want to search for another song or album, I have to go to a different page, do a search, then return to what's playing. In the old version it was all on one page.
Userlevel 1
Bright mode be gone! Seriously. In times where everyone nags Apple to finally bring a proper dark mode, Sonos thinks it’s a good idea to go bright and on top kill the dark theme as an option?
And who did those icons at the bottom? Music app 2013 much?
The new bright white app is just unbearable! Give us back the dark app!
I agree with everyone for all the reasons provided. Making the awfully bright white background the only choice after being dark for so long was absurd!!!