Question

Wall Control

• 10 November 2015
  • 54 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
I know this is has been touched on but has anyone figured out how to setup a wall controller of any kind for Sonos? I have Sonos in every room of my house and I thought it would be nice for the guest room to have access to volume controls. My family just uses their phones.

I know the option to use old Android phones has been brought up before but I was looking for something a little more "analog".

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

54 replies

Ok-so I can't use both native sonos control and insteon simultaneously? So for example in the kitchen on the wall control tablet I start playback in the dining room then in the dining room adjust volume or skip tracks with the insteon light switch.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yeah, you could do that... I just wanted to clarify that it wasn't the actual control pad communicating with Sonos... that the Insteon Hub is also a necessary component, and that's what does the actual talking to Sonos.
Right, I did understand that aspect. I just wasn't sure if it somehow became the only way to interact with the sonos setup.

Thanks for the info!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Good news. The Nuimo by Senic should start shipping mid April according to the latest Kickstarter update. About 6 months late, but pretty standard for Kickstarter funded items.

Looking forward to delivery.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
OK, so a quick check with Senic and I find my device will be in the 2nd batch shipping in June. Will do a review when it arrives but I may well be beaten by someone who is in the first delivery.
Badge
My Nuimo has been shipped ......but to the wrong address!
(I moved countries and did notify them but I think they have been focusing on getting the product done and I guess its not surprising for a small start-up team).

So I cant write up anything just yet on how it works to control SONOS but will do after it arrives, unless a good post comes along in the meantime (hint).
So I'm hoping someone else in the SONOS community has already received their Nuimo and can give us some feedback - good or bad - I'd just like to know. If there are bugs or issues to sort out it would be great if we could share the experiences and lessons learned here.
I have a question, how do you set the keypad to a room, and then make sure it does not change rooms? I have some old control4 8 button switches I would like to replace with something functional for the sonos.
Badge
With the Sonos announcement yesterday that they will be partnering with Amazon and at least 6 other hardware home automation companies, it is worth a refresh of this thread and a review of all the different third party hardware controller options that are currently and will be available. For purposes of this thread I am ignoring the purely software app integration that are coming too (Spotify, Pandora etc.)

So far here is a list and status of what I am aware of:

Insteon -- discussed earlier in this thread
Custom Android tablets -- discussed earlier in this thread
ZonePlayerController -- Windows command line service that can be customized with various things like autohotkey etc. (I use this today)
Senic Nuimo -- discussed earlier in this thread. Just started shipping recently, still working out early bugs
NEEO remote -- In pre-order, supposed to start shipping in a couple months

Amazon/Alexa -- just announced. Coming in 2017
Crestron -- just announced
Lutron -- just announced
Savant -- just announced
Control4 -- just announced
iPort -- just announced
QIVICON by Deutsche Telekom -- just announced (Europe only?)

What did I miss?
What products/partners from the above list are people most excited about?
The iPort xPress looks the most interesting in that it's a pure Sonos controller; doesn't require any sort of hub, so it's also the least expensive.
Userlevel 1
Badge
hi all, have received my numio, it works nicely and am pleased with it. However can be a bit temperamental and needs a restart every few days. Also it says on the website that battery life should last a month however i am charging mine once a week, finally charging it is a pain in the ass, the charging port is on the bottom of the numio so when i charge you have to lie it on its side and as it is circular it can roll which is a control function, as i only have sonos set up with it this means the volume is changing whilst it is charging it rolls. Also you have to go into the app to change the speaker you want to control. its nice however i hear amazon echo will become compatible with sonos next year and at the same price (roughly) i would go for an echo. Numio is nice and i'm glad i got it and i realise having only one function set up is limiting my experience with it, thinking of getting some lights to start of with home automation
thanks all-bruce
$50 Echo Dots are going to be a category killer here, seems to me.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi - I am looking for something similar. Major remodel - I have implementing 5 zones, all zones are in-ceiling speakers and each zone is controlled with a Sonos Connect Amp. All the wiring for the speakers terminate into a basement room closet where I will have all the Sonos Connect Amps located. I want to have a wall slider volume control so if i get a work call, I don't have to fumble around with my phone (if i lose wifi or anything else comes up) to lower the volume or stop the music - just walk to the wall and slide the volume to lower setting or off. I have two questions:

1) Setup Question - Do I run speaker wire from the speakers to the volume control as well as the Sonos Connect Amp? Not sure how these work.

2) Any recommendations on what volume slider that you have used with success?

Thanks In advance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The easiest thing would be go for the Lutron Controls as with them you don't have to run the speaker wire to the outlet just straight from amp to speaker. They just replace your standard wall switch for lighting.
http://www.casetawireless.com/Pages/sonos.aspx

Otherwise you will have to run speaker wire down to the location of volume control and up to speaker with a standard volume control switch.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
this just launched. no idea what its like !
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/pop-home-switch
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I saw the Logitech button the other day. Just a big button tap, double-tap, hold for 3 commands. Seems they could have made it a little more usefull like the Lutron with at least an up/down (dim/fade volume up/down) rocker as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm looking forward to Amazon Echo integration.

For less money than any of these options you can have an Amazon Echo dot in each room at tell it "Play Sonos" "Turn Up Sonos" "Turn Down Sonos"

My Echo dots currently replace anything that the Logitech button can do. If it took the time I could already make it turn up or down various Sonos units (Play pause does already work on my dots with Smartthings hub).
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks Chris! If I want to run speaker wire to the volume control from the speaker - On the speaker would I just have to speaker cables connected to the right and left out (one speaker wire set would be run to the Sonos Connect AMP and the other is the volume control). I have the walls open so running wires might not be that bad and it gives me a hardwire connection to volume in case my wireless goes on the fritz.

I did not think about integrating Echo Dots to my overall system but I am starting to think through it. I have all the wires run into an a/v closet in my basement - my sonos connect amps will be in the basement while the in-ceiling speakers are on the first and 2nd floor. Maybe I could run a long 3.5 mm stereo cable to some places and I assume that it would plug into the line in on Connect Amp? Another thought is that I could plug in a echo Dot to the sonos connect amp and then use the amazon remote to use voice control....need to see how long a distance the remote will support.....hmmm..more thinking
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You could also add a BT receiver to the Sonos AMP input and stream form the Dot over BT, no wires at all!
If you are looking to incorporate Echo/Alexa into your system, I would not bother with the 3.5mm wiring, unless needed for something else. Sonos has stated Echo/Alexa control is coming early next year and will be available on all current and future Sonos products, even those without a line-in. So there is no need to wire the extra line-in cable, Echo/Alexa and Sonos integration will be wireless.
I'm looking forward to Amazon Echo integration.

For less money than any of these options you can have an Amazon Echo dot in each room at tell it "Play Sonos" "Turn Up Sonos" "Turn Down Sonos"

My Echo dots currently replace anything that the Logitech button can do. If it took the time I could already make it turn up or down various Sonos units (Play pause does already work on my dots with Smartthings hub).

Chris- How do the volume commands get associated with a particular zone in Sonos? Is that part of the Smartthings configuration? Can you configure more than one zone?

Curious because all I really need from Sonos/Echo integration is Play/Pause, Volume, and Favorites. If Smartthings can get me there for multiple rooms then it might be a good bridge solution until the native integration is released.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Old school solution - Sonos CR100 with cradle from eBay works great.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I used a Kindle Fire HD8 inside a custom-built enclosure that hangs on the wall. A had a CAT5e cable already at the location and used a POE device to provide constant power. Less than a hundred bucks invested for a custom wall control.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O1F920O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
&
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C6031MA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Whilst looking for an option to replace my UK light switch to control Hue bulbs I came across this which looks great

https://www.brilliant.tech

Unfortunately no good for me as it is US only. Why is there so little available like this? An Android powered light switch replacement would sell like sausage rolls at Greggs if it could control Hue lights/Sonos/etc/etc
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I control lights and heating through Alexa, and hopefully my Sonos too at some point. The big problem I found in the UK is that every system needs it's own app and no single system is good for the whole house.

For example I have my Sonos main system and Hue lights with Hub in our Garden room. However hue lights are not suitable in the house, and in the bedrooms they are terrible as they come on full power afetr even the briefest power outage, not fun at 3am. So the house I have Lightwave switches, which look good too and can control ceiling LEDs. Then for the garden lights I use Wemo switches as the lightwave hub wont extend to the garage. Using these via their apps was a nightmare for me and no one else ever bothered.

However Alexa control sorted all these issues and also any family member can turn things on and off.

Back to wall control I purchased an Amazon FIRE HD6 tablet which works great for Sonos, as does the Nuimo which is also paired to it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Back to wall control I purchased an Amazon FIRE HD6 tablet which works great for Sonos, as does the Nuimo which is also paired to it.

I've been looking at those. How do you wall mount it and do you keep it plugged in all the time? I was thinking of mounting it with some of those 3M velcro pads and putting a timer on the plug so it only charges at certain times.