Question

Wall Control

• 10 November 2015
  • 54 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
I know this is has been touched on but has anyone figured out how to setup a wall controller of any kind for Sonos? I have Sonos in every room of my house and I thought it would be nice for the guest room to have access to volume controls. My family just uses their phones.

I know the option to use old Android phones has been brought up before but I was looking for something a little more "analog".

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

54 replies

A 6" Amazon Fire HD is $50 and can be wall mounted using one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0116T6II6?keywords=fire%20%20wall%20mount&qid=1447166258&ref_=sr_1_4&s=electronics&sr=1-4

If you have in-wall/in-ceiling speakers, an analog volume control would need to be spliced into the speaker wires and mounted in the wall.
double post
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
double post

was it? didn't mean for that to happen
double post

was it? didn't mean for that to happen

No, I made a double post.
There is no way for regular users to delete a post. We are stuck with accidental duplicates unless a moderator takes action. The contents of a post can be edited by the originator for about an hour.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Call me thick but can't your guests control the volume of the Sonos speakers by using the volume controls on the top of the speakers?
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Call me thick but can't your guests control the volume of the Sonos speakers by using the volume controls on the top of the speakers?

yes - Unless I have them up where they can't be reached easily.
Badge
Have you seen Nuimo by Senic? It will have a wall-mount.
http://www.senic.com/

Hope I don't break any rules for putting in the link - but if so happy for a Moderator to remove it.
It's still under development so not available yet. I have taken a small risk and ordered two to control my SONOS.
You can always do a search for Nuimo.
Cheers,
Adam
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
that's awesome - seems like a smartly designed product.

I wonder if it has a default playlist or something... or maybe allows you to cycle through favorites.

Either way, I think its worth keeping my eyes on it. Would like to hear your experience when it ships.

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
That Nuimo looks like a pretty cool device!

Something else you could do...
Insteon - makers of smart electrical switches, dimmers, thermostats, and more - have updated their capabilities to include controlling Sonos devices through their Insteon Hub. You can use one of their 6 or 8 button wall controllers and program buttons for play, pause or stop, previous/next track, and volume up/down. If you're looking to add more smarts to your home, as far as lighting, motion sensors, temperature, and other areas of your home, Insteon might be something else to look at.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Looks interesting. A bit pricey though.

I am still after a very simple button remote. On off, volume and a couple of buttons that could be used for favourite radio stations or playlists. There is one from Insteon but still in the dev stages, like most seem to be!
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have also ordered one of these senic controllers, hoping it isn't a waste of money, saw an advert for it and thought lets take the risk, hopefully the phrase "a fool and his money are easily parted" doesn't come true.

On a more serious note a single home controller for controlling multiple devices or functions does seem a good idea as our homes become more on line, saves having many different apps for different devices. I suppose the main concern i have for this is compatibility with future devices or even as current devices update. Time will tell when we receive the items.
Thanks
Bruce
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yep Bruce, I too have ordered a Senic. I figured it a risk, but an affordable one.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Let us now what you think Bruce and bockersjv. It looks very cool I just want to wait to get some reviews.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
*know
I just bought 3 of these for my new house; as long as you can run a a cat6 cable there you're set. Power over Ethernet and connected without wifi.

http://www.geekland.co/7-Android-POE-RJ45-Wall-Mount-Tablet-for-Meeting-Room-Display-GK-Q896-POE.htm

Install SureLock app and force single app mode running Sonos controller app. Done.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
That wall-mounted, PoE-powered Android tablet is very cool! I can think of lots of other uses for a wall-mounted tablet that you can lock only to specific apps.
Badge +2
Insteon now offers a wall controller for Sonos. You'll have to add an insteon hub to make it work, but their ecosystem is pretty robust - i bet you could find added uses for them beyond sonos wall control.

http://www.insteon.com/sonos
If you want something with some basic buttons, you might be able to explore a home automation hub and find / make a control pad that supports wave or something. Look at the Samsung SmartThings hub for ideas.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Well I have my doubts the Senic product will appear. All too quiet on their blog and funding stuck at 95%. Shame if this is correct.
That wall-mounted, PoE-powered Android tablet is very cool! I can think of lots of other uses for a wall-mounted tablet that you can lock only to specific apps.

I just got mine and set up 3 of them. I have a wife and kids that would quickly mess things up. If they need to do more they can walk to the thermostat ;)

EDIT: For some reason the whole video won't upload. I'll redo it later. Sorry.
Here's the new link to the video:

https://youtu.be/UKI3um84lkw
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
That's a cool option but maybe out of my price range.

I am actually an Insteon user and they recently confirmed control of Sonos products. So I am getting one of these for each room http://www.amazon.com/INSTEON-2334-232-Keypad-Dimmer-6-Button/dp/B00DN9VGL2

The single button controls the room lights and that leaves 7 buttons to control the sonos. I'm thinking 1 - Play/Pause; 2 & 3 - Volume Up/Down; 4 - Shuffle; 5 - Repeat; 6 & 7 - two preset playlist.

I'm open to other suggestions or ideas but this option will work well for my needs
Thats cool. So that kid of piggy-backs onto Sonos? For example I can add these in other rooms to control volume?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The Insteon Hub actually handles the communication with Sonos... the wall plates talk to the Hub through either powerline or RF, and the hub sends whatever command(s) are needed over the network.

There are a couple of limitations to Insteon's Sonos integration, which I can go further into if you want... but for most general uses it works quite well.