Volume Lock, Volume Limits, Volume control

• 23 July 2018
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
A couple of features I think are absolutely necessary for this system. I have 15+ speakers in a couple different rooms and would love the ability to control the volume more accurately through the app.
1-Mute button. Hit it once and the volume is locked so that it will not go up/down based on group volume changes (when speakers are grouped) Hit the mute button again and it mutes the speakers as it does now.
Another way to do this is to create a sub group of speakers in a larger group that are playing the same source but have a different volume, sound, etc.
2- Preset volume limits. I have a couple Play One/1's in sensitive, smaller areas. I would like those to have a set limit volume. (Again, this is when in a group) When the group volume is changed, the volume of these specific speakers would not change.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi drufitat,

Thanks for reaching out. I'll send in some feature requests to our development team to add a volume lock, and volume limits to the Sonos system.
I also have the same issue (PLAY:5), in my case I keep accidentally playing music on max volume and it's extremely loud and incredibly painful for my ears - I have tinnitus as well thus I am extremely sensitive to loud sounds, my pain threshold is much lower than the average person. When these max volume accidents happen, it shocks my flatmates in the middle of the night and they really don't appreciate it. It's also a pain that other people in my house can connect to the speaker through Spotify and when they connect to it accidentally and already have the volume set to max, it freaks me out and hurts my ears so much. This is such a massive issue for me especially considering that Sonos equipment is not cheap at all and quite disappointingly, nothing has been done to fix this even though it appears to be a recurring issue for many Sonos users. I feel like if Sonos don't want to implement any sort of security feature to prevent other people from connecting to the Speaker, the least they could do is provide us with a volume limit.

I would very much appreciate it if this issue can be resolved with a proper, new feature a volume limit in the very near future at least for the safety of users such as myself with hearing issues - I simply cannot invest in another Sonos piece until this is done. I've brought up this issue before but nothing has been done about it and I really do not want to wait a long time for a fix.
....I keep accidentally playing music on max volume and it's extremely loud and incredibly painful for my ears

I don't see how this can be done accidentally - I've had a Play 5 for a few years and it only ever plays at the volume that I've set it to... Surely the simple answer is that you take more care...
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
No, there does seem to be a bug somewhere in grouping/ungrouping that can jump a device volume to max on occasion. Never seen this happen before 9.0
Userlevel 2

I don't see how this can be done accidentally - I've had a Play 5 for a few years and it only ever plays at the volume that I've set it to... Surely the simple answer is that you take more care...

"more care" isn't the answer. I've had the volume jump to max when my phone was in my pocket.
Userlevel 1
I posted this to a different thread, but in case any of you have a SmartThings environment I wrote a smart app to control the maximum volume of Sonos speakers. It is a nice interim solution until Sonos provides the functionality. You can find details here: https://community.smartthings.com/t/control-maximum-volume/136613
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
With Sonos 9.2 there's the ability to use the mobile controller for Android or iOS to set a maximum volume for each of your Sonos players. I don't have any specifics on your other requests, but you can now set a maximum volume for your rooms.