Answered

Volume limit feature

• 6 September 2012
  • 191 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Add the ability to set a PIN protected volume limit per zone.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 9 October 2018, 22:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

191 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'm pretty certain they have not been doing nothing in that time. But it is frustrating that this and many other quick small enhancements never make it to the top of the dev list.
Would love to be able to set a volume limit. Within the first couple of minutes of purchasing my first Sonos product (a playbar) last year I experienced the iOS Spotify connect bug which caused the volume to ramp up to max. Even after I figured out how I triggered the bug I still accidentally triggered it a handful of times until the bug was fixed a couple of months later. The panic those incidents caused me could’ve been easily mitigated had a volume limit been set in place. Needless to say it has soured my first impressions of being a sonos owner and first impressions tend to stick. As well as echoing everyone else’s sentiments I’d also add that I’ve always used volume limiters to protect me from myself in a way, as I’ve always had a bad habit of slowly dialing up the volume during extended listening sessions until I realise, probably a bit late, that my ears are aching (sort of like the boiling frog fable). I can’t imagine it should be massively difficult to at least start with a universal volume limit. I would think that sorting out the easy to fix but massively frustrating issues would be a more time efficient way to make users happier in general.
YES PLEASE. Everybody I know keep complaining about this. Especially with the integrations now such as Spotify which can have some bugs and play at the loudest. I'm renting my place and people don't know the minimum volume is usually enough so they wake everybody up... Very frustrating
Badge +1
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your continued interest in this feature. I'll update our teams on this request. We don't have any new information to share at this time though.

I really hope Sonos start listening to customers regarding this feature. I'm a big fan of the products and the software in general but like many others in this thread I've had to remove my Sonos speakers from Airbnb rental properties due to unsociable behaviour from a minority of guests. I can also see the benefits of a volume limit for those with young families and Alexa integration.

A 'no, we can't or won't' would be preferable to this radio silence on a 5 year old request.
Badge +1
This feature would be good. I have young children, who have access to the system. It’s not about not trusting them, but about preventing accidents. They are on a separate system already to avoid some potential complications, but it’s amazing how loud a Play:1 can go - whether or not it’s being damaged, I fear that the kids might be; as might my relationship with the neighbours! A limit would be good enough in itself; a user pin wouldn’t be unwelcome but isn’t my personal objective.
Userlevel 2
Badge
This feature would be good. I have young children, who have access to the system. It’s not about not trusting them, but about preventing accidents. They are on a separate system already to avoid some potential complications, but it’s amazing how loud a Play:1 can go - whether or not it’s being damaged, I fear that the kids might be; as might my relationship with the neighbours! A limit would be good enough in itself; a user pin wouldn’t be unwelcome but isn’t my personal objective.
I never thought that I would run into this, but my 3 year old just turned the volume completely up on the PLAY:3. The shock was unbelievable, and for a moment I thought that she would have permanenlty damaged hearing.
I underestimated children's eardrums though, as she seems to be ok, although I would only fully know if I took her to an audiologist.
I never do this kind of stuff but I really thought I would sue the company if something has happened to her.
I immediately went to the settings, looking for this very common setting of volume limit.
To my absolute surprise, it wasn't there !
Looking at these forums, this extremely simple feature (speaking as a a programmer with 25 years of experience) was requested more than 6 years ago and it is still not available.
I own 4 separate SONOS products, so the switch to another brand will not be easy, but to be honest, my children's health is way higher on my list of priorities than brand loyalty.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Fyi You can implement a volume limit now with a hush box. Sonos does not seem to ad useful user options beyond current feature set so if this is important to you the cost of the box might be worth it. I'm not affiliated and don't own one YMMV http://hushlabs.ca/shop-online/hush-box
It seems they do listen, this feature is in development! Read this: https://www.smarthomegeeks.co.uk/news/exclusive-discovery-sonos-develop-volume-limit/ 😃
A patent doesn’t always mean a feature release.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, starting today with Sonos 9.2 there's the ability to use the mobile controller for Android or iOS to set a maximum volume for each of your Sonos players. This setting is protected by your Sonos user account, so you'll need to log into the system to set it up. The whole volume bar will still go from 0-100, but 100% will now reflect what your volume limit is set to. This has the added benefit of being able to get more granular control of players at low volume, as the volume steps will scale up or down with the max volume.

Feel free to play around with it and see what you think.
Userlevel 1
Here's the link to the feature description and use
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3118?language=en_US
Hi everyone, starting today with Sonos 9.2 there's the ability to use the mobile controller for Android or iOS to set a maximum volume for each of your Sonos players. This setting is protected by your Sonos user account, so you'll need to log into the system to set it up. The whole volume bar will still go from 0-100, but 100% will now reflect what your volume limit is set to. This has the added benefit of being able to get more granular control of players at low volume, as the volume steps will scale up or down with the max volume.

Feel free to play around with it and see what you think.

Obviously this a welcome (and seriously overdue) update, so thank you to the Sonos team.

I do feel that the lack of password protection for either settings in general or specifically this volume limit feature makes the update only partially effective. A quick google and anyone inclined to adjust the volume can do so using the app.

For example, I provide Sonos speakers to guests in Airbnb rentals. So now I can limit the volume but only if I don't provide access to the Sonos app on the tablets in the properties. You can get round this by using 3rd party apps such as Spotify or if a guest uses their own device and airplay, but you lose access to services like TuneIn radio and multiple music services easily accessible via the Sonos app.
Where did you get the idea there is no password protection? Some of the settings menus now require you to enter your username and password before you enter the menu for the first time on each device. Use your personal phone to set the settings at the bnb, entering the account info, then the tablets will still have their settings password protected. As an alternative, use the tablets, then reset the controllers on them to reactivate the password.
Where did you get the idea there is no password protection? Some of the settings menus now require you to enter your username and password before you enter the menu for the first time on each device. Use your personal phone to set the settings at the bnb, entering the account info, then the tablets will still have their settings password protected. As an alternative, use the tablets, then reset the controllers on them to reactivate the password.

Thank you, that's very helpful. It wasn't immediately obvious to me that resetting the controller would keep the volume limit and renew password access to that settings menu.

It might be helpful to others if that information were added to the support page:
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3118?language=en_US
I agree it should be explained. Though there is a significant number of "torches and pitchforks" type users who pounce on any and all authentication requirements, even those as useful as this, as privacy violations and signs of Sonos "selling our data". So it is sort of a delicate subject, and calling attention to it tends to fuel the fire.