Answered

Volume limit feature

• 6 September 2012
  • 191 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Add the ability to set a PIN protected volume limit per zone.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 9 October 2018, 22:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

191 replies

That's more reasonable. Out of curiosity, how do the limits effect the volume control in the Sonos app? Do you still have the full range on the slider? Or if I set the limit to 50, will the volume be maxed when the slider is at 50% and any additional movement to the right does nothing?
Userlevel 1
The slider in the sonos app will automatically go back to what % you set it as once kids try going to a higher volume. Any additional volume to the right will automatically be back to the left at whatever % you set it at so kids will never be able to go past your set level. 😉. Its also paword protected so only admin will have access to volume level setup.
That's not bad. I was hoping you would still have full range with the slider for more precise control. I'll just hold out hoping Sonos adds this. Thanks for the info!
My Sonos Play 1 blew because the volume was too high, why can't you just have a volume control limit. I don't even want it to prevent this, I want it because my employees put the volume too high and our neighbors complain. I can discipline employees, but why even give them the ability to do this! Just give us the ability to limit, please!
Sonos has repeatedly stated that it is highly improbable, if not impossible, to "blow" a Play:1 (or any other Play unit) due to high volume level. To do so requires other faults in the device. So I suspect you had a faulty unit, or you are putting one over for hyperbole's sake,
Sonos has repeatedly stated that it is highly improbable, if not impossible, to "blow" a Play:1 (or any other Play unit) due to high volume level. To do so requires other faults in the device. So I suspect you had a faulty unit, or you are putting one over for hyperbole's sake,

Good work inspector, I don't really care what you think... I have a blown speaker due to someone blasting the volume. Maybe its the only time its ever happened, but it did. And don't you have anything better to do than troll around peoples feature requests?
Userlevel 1
Just get 1 hushbox and it will fix the volume control problem for all your sonos speakers. By the way, i am not affiliated with them in any way and also got trolled in the past when i posted this solution. I just had the same issue in the past and that was the most cost effective way to fix the volume control problem for my kids.
Just get 1 hushbox and it will fix the volume control problem for all your sonos speakers. By the way, i am not affiliated with them in any way and also got trolled in the past when i posted this solution. I just had the same issue in the past and that was the most cost effective way to fix the volume control problem for my kids.

Thanks, I created a ticket with Sonos since they don't seem to monitor these forums. If they answer with anything useful I'll let you know here. Regarding the hushbox, I may buy it, but since my speaker blew I'm actually looking to replace the Sonos (if they won't be adding this feature I want to find it somewhere else). Plus the hushbox costs almost as much as the speaker itself, which is absurd, it should be a simple feature that doesn't cost us anything but I'd gladly pay. And I don't want a separate device to do this, one more thing to go wrong. Honestly, Sonos Engineers, what do we have to do to get this feature built in?
[
Good work inspector, I don't really care what you think... I have a blown speaker due to someone blasting the volume. Maybe its the only time its ever happened, but it did. And don't you have anything better to do than troll around peoples feature requests?

You made it seem as if a Sonos speaker can easily be blown by a loud volume setting, I simply provided context with information supplied by Sonos itself. I said nothing about the feature request, though if I did I would cast my vote in favor of a limit in the Room Settings menu.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks, I created a ticket with Sonos since they don't seem to monitor these forums. If they answer with anything useful I'll let you know here. Regarding the hushbox, I may buy it, but since my speaker blew I'm actually looking to replace the Sonos (if they won't be adding this feature I want to find it somewhere else). Plus the hushbox costs almost as much as the speaker itself, which is absurd, it should be a simple feature that doesn't cost us anything but I'd gladly pay. And I don't want a separate device to do this, one more thing to go wrong. Honestly, Sonos Engineers, what do we have to do to get this feature built in?

Hi giyad,

We don't always jump in on feature request threads as we can't say much about possible future products or features, but we do read all of the threads. We'll send along feature requests for volume limits and password protection for playlists and services.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos do monitor these forums

They won't be commenting beyond acknowledgment of the suggestion (It's not new). Nor will you get anything different via ticket.

For what it's worth jgatie is correct that playing your speaker at full volume, besides annoying your neighbours, is most unlikely to cause the speaker to "blow".

Hi giyad,

We don't always jump in on feature request threads as we can't say much about possible future products or features, but we do read all of the threads. We'll send along feature requests for volume limits and password protection for playlists and services.

Thanks! For now I'll be switching to Denon since they have volume control. I'll keep following here, when you implement it please announce it here.
Badge
I was looking forward Alexa Integration and have been quite impressed with 4-Oct announcements. Now Sonos is back on track, and might become the best deal in term of integration in the long run.
But....
After testing today Alexa-Sonos integration, i automatically searched for this volume control feature which is as of today unavailable. Having kids between 3-5 years old, Alexa integration become a very dangerous feature. How hard is it for them to say "Alexa, set the volume to 10 in the living room. I have 1 playbar, 1 woofer and 2 play 1 in the living room, imagine the consequences? I have disabled Alexa integration for now.
The simple solution I would wish. In the setup, set max x% per group (ex: 30% in living room). No change in any application (iphone/ipad app, windows, alexa), but when user setup volume to 50%, it actually set the actual volume to 15% (50% x 30%). This will make it easy for everyone, and make the volume adjustment more precise.
When can we have this sonos? Do not make techy parents look inconscient
We have a play5 pair which would be incredibly loud if it were ever set over 50%. I'm likewise not sure about setting up alexa integration without the ability to set a room max...
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
this would be a wonderful feature!
How is this not yet a feature? We have huge issues with this in our open office space, where it's a constant battle of the volume slider as some people like to have very loud music playing which disturbs coworkers and neighbours.

I can only imagine the trouble having a speaker in a kids room, that would simply not work without this feature.

We are sadly already too heavily invested in Sonos speakers here, so a change of speakers would be too costly for us.

Can only hope a feature to limit the volume in certain zones is made as soon as possible.
We have 4 Sonos' throughout our apartment and would love to have this feature as well! Especially since some of the speakers bump up against other people's bedrooms. It would be nice to be able to limit some of them.
This is an essential feature when is comes to Alexa-Sonos integration. I disabled the Alexa skill because yesterday we had a sh*tshow when I asked Alexa to turn the volume to "2" and it decided to turn the volume to "10". Try undoing that when the speakers are blaring, it was a mess. Hopefully I didn't wreck the speakers.
Please fix the volume limit feature on sonos. This is a function that many need !!
I just discovered that I need this feature as well, in order not to disturb the neighbors of my holiday house too much when there are guests. It's both pleasing and dissatisfying to read that the Sonos team has been made aware of this a year ago and there is still no software-driven feature for this. IMHO it's not that difficult...
I just bought a new One for my kids rooms and I need this feature as of five minuts ago.

They need to be able to turn the Music on and off, but that also allow them to turn the volume up, and the smallest cant help himself.
I just created a SonosController (Parental controller) to limit the volume of your Sonos Speaker

It can be found at https://github.com/zenturacp/SonosVolumeLimit

I was VERY annoyed that this is not a feature - so now its here - only bad thing is I have to run it in the background on a computer.. 😞 but works on Mac, Windows and Linux.. 🙂
SONOS SOFTWARE DEVELLOPMENT IS A SHAME!!!!!!!!!
DO WE NEED TO OFFICIALY SAY THAT ON FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM!!!
CAN YOU UNDERSTAND THIS LITLE DEVELLOPMENT!!!
SECURITY CODE AND MAXIMUM LEVEL LIMIT PER ZONE... !!!!!
YOU COULD ALSO BLOCK THE NAM OF THE ZONE THROUGH THIS OPTION WE ALL LOOSE TIME WITH THE FACT YOU DO NOT CARE!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your continued interest in this feature. I'll update our teams on this request. We don't have any new information to share at this time though.
So this thread has been active for what, 5 years, and still no movement on this? 5 years worth of development time and yet a feature like this, wanted by so many, still hasn't been developed? Strange