Answered

Volume limit feature

• 6 September 2012
  • 191 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Add the ability to set a PIN protected volume limit per zone.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 9 October 2018, 22:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

191 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Has anyone tried this device from hush labs? How quickly does it reduce the sound once it's been increase?

My company made a very simple black box to do exactly this. Plug it into your network, it monitors all of your Sonos devices and will make sure each Sonos device does not exceed the user's preset maximum volume level. Super simple to setup via web interface. Checkout http://hushlabs.ca.
Less than 1 second. Tested with up to 10 zones grouped together, they all turn down in less than one second.

Has anyone tried this device from hush labs? How quickly does it reduce the sound once it's been increase?

My company made a very simple black box to do exactly this. Plug it into your network, it monitors all of your Sonos devices and will make sure each Sonos device does not exceed the user's preset maximum volume level. Super simple to setup via web interface. Checkout http://hushlabs.ca.
Add the ability to set a PIN protected volume limit per zone.
Any plans on implementing this simple feature?
I'm kind of surprised that it has not been done yet.. It will be very usefull when adding powerfull active speakers to a connect like I have done.

I really hope to see this in a near future since my oldest kid(5) now have a play1 in his room and has access to all Sonos inhouse via his iPad.

Really great that someone solves it!!!!!!!
But since it should be only and max a few days work from Sonos and a really logical feature I still hope Sonos wakes up and implements this!
Today my 1 year old daughter pressed the volume up on the TV remote and 2 seconds later started to cry because of the extreme loud volume from my playbar and SUB. I really want's you to implement this feature. It can't be that hard and it could save someone's ear in the future...

My 2yo did the same on my connect with 2x750w active bang&olufsen speakers in out livingroom while dining....
NEED I say we almisser shat ourselves!

SONOS PEOPLE!!! For crying out loud... say something so we know if this is being seen - or arogantly ignored?
I maxed my connect amps by accidentally turning the volume up with the hard buttons on my phone. Fack me scared the crap out of everyone, but also real potential to damage speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, thanks for all the feedback on this suggestion. I know just how startling it can be when someone accidently (or maliciously) cranks the volume way up. We don't have any plans that I can share around adding a volume lock or maximum volume to Sonos but it is a request I'll make sure to add all your interest to internally.

It's been mentioned here already, but we don't comment about future development or share a roadmap, so we can't say too much about what's coming or what's planned for the future. Right now the development team is working hard on Spotify direct control and bringing voice control to Sonos through Amazon Alexa. There's always other projects going on, but we can't pull back the curtain and let you know what they are just yet.

Thanks again for the feedback and I'll make sure it gets passed on to the team.
Sonos is such a dud. So many limitations. If you are using it for business as I am, it is a constant source of frustration. Not being able to control the volume with a limiter can have an adverse effect on the ambience of the space. Staff tampering with the app could be avoided with a PIN feature. Better buffering could mean the music would always stream rather than cutting out when the wi-fi connection is poor. I frequently tell other people that are setting up retail, restaurant and cafe type businesses to avoid it at all costs. It's an absolute waste of money.
fourdeadllhamas,

I'm sorry you feel this way. While I'm not a business user, I've found the setup to be ideal. It seems to me that with a little human engineering, many of your complaints would go away. And some minor electronics maintenance would take care of the rest. It's unfortunate that you feel it necessary to spread your own concerns to others that might not have the same experience as you do.

I hope that you're able to find a better solution for your specific needs.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Just adding my voice to the chorus of people wanting this. I have an Autistic Niece who loves to turn the volume up using the physical buttons on the Sonos. Something that can get pretty old pretty quickly especially for my brother who also has a Sonos setup. It's basically a game for her. So if there was a way to either lock or limit volume control in some way? That'd be awesome.

Three ways this could be done that I'd be ok with:
1. A volume lock checkbox next to the volume in the app
2. A volume limiter. For example setting it to 50%, 75% or just "no louder than it currently is"
3. A simple item in room settings to disable physical buttons. There's already one for the White LED
Adding to this. I advertise them as a selling point for AirBnb but I don't want a guest to get me evicted or get a noise complaint from the cops. This is such a basic idea that I was blown away to see this thread going on for 5 years.
Userlevel 1
When will the volume limit be available for the kids...? 😞
Userlevel 1
+1 for volume limit
+1 as well.

I can't believe the only way to limit the volume on Sonos is through a 3rd party device. For the price and quality of the speakers that Sonos puts out, you'd think this would surely be something that could be developed through an administrator account for given zone(s). So that you can have others use it but not damage it (kids, family members, friends, or vacation home renters). In this day and age, a company leaving something unlocked for all to accidentally crank up or abuse (especially when it doesn't belong to them) is a bit worrysome Sonos.

I've done searches on this feature and it seems like many have been clamoring for a volume limiting function for over 3 yrs now. Does Sonos not want their customers to be satisfied? Please make this a priority!
+1 as well.

I can't believe the only way to limit the volume on Sonos is through a 3rd party device. For the price and quality of the speakers that Sonos puts out, you'd think...!

Just for comparison I had a quick look at the McIntosh RS100 Play-Fi speaker which costs $1,000.00 and it didn't mention any ability to limit volume either. Is there a certain quality and price point where you have seen this feature commonly offered by other competitors?
Userlevel 1
I just purchased a http://hushlabs.ca/ Hush Lab volume control limit device for my sonos speakers and will keep you guys posted on how it worked out...
I just purchased a http://hushlabs.ca/ Hush Lab volume control limit device for my sonos speakers and will keep you guys posted on how it worked out...

Certainly look forward to how it works out...however, I stand by my, and others, comments that one should not have to purchase a 3rd party device for something like this to be a standard feature for Sonos users. This feature should be trivial at best.

Cheers!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Well guys, I took the plunge - I wasn't sure if this was a real system, but hushlabs really works. I have been asking for this feature from SONOS for years - no response... But Jordan at hush labs have built a really great little box that plugs n, and you can set percentage limits to each zone. Works like a dream (I've had it for only 1 hour, but tested it and am so very grateful for this. Thank you Jordan for building this solution!)

Well guys, I took the plunge - I wasn't sure if this was a real system, but hushlabs really works. I have been asking for this feature from SONOS for years - no response... But Jordan at hush labs have built a really great little box that plugs n, and you can set percentage limits to each zone. Works like a dream (I've had it for only 1 hour, but tested it and am so very grateful for this. Thank you Jordan for building this solution!)

Thanks for the feedback. So do the percentages limit the Sonos from going above that threshold or does it quickly bring it back down to the limits that are setup? Went to the site to try and learn more about the product and it unfortunately did not have much info to help me rationalize another purchase.

Are you able to break up the volume limit percentages on different devices or is it standard across all devices with a single limit?

Just for comparison I had a quick look at the McIntosh RS100 Play-Fi speaker which costs $1,000.00 and it didn't mention any ability to limit volume either. Is there a certain quality and price point where you have seen this feature commonly offered by other competitors?

I understand what you are saying Mike, my point is that any product that a company is selling as network ready product with a Smart Phone/Tablet Application control interface should have a built in Admin setting to limit volume maximums should to:
a) prevent damage to their audio investment; and,
b) to protect those who use it from turning it up too loud past a point to cause a disturbance to neighbors, household members, etc.

I have a friend who has audio wired in his rental property and has the a/v equipment in a locked room so renters/guests can't get into it. He originally didn't have the volume limited in this place and when he came in after a group of renters he found out they turned it up too loud and blew the speakers. While I understand damages can eventually be fixed (if you can pinpoint which renter/guest may have damaged it), having the volume limited in the first place would have prevented the speakers from blowing. He now has this feature installed on his system so that doesn't occur again. Sonos is trying to offer a product that doesn't need wires to run through the house (just power).

Looking at the Sonos App interface, i don't see why it would be that hard for Sonos to ensure certain features on devices can be locked down by an optionally enabled Admin setting (with separate password) to limit features for various users of those devices. Think of it like Nest Thermostats, users can still perform functional features allowed, but to go beyond those limits they need a pin/password to enable it again.

I want guests to be able to use and enjoy the system, not to potentially annoy nearby neighbors, or abuse/destroy it.
Userlevel 1
I just purchased the HushBox to add to my sonos speakers and it worked great! I can now volume limit each room. http://hushlabs.ca/
Also looking for this feature. Would personally even be fine without the PIN lock, just a simple slider in the settings for an individual speaker where I can set the maximum level for that speaker alone. Assuming I set the maximum level to 50%, I would want the volume slider and buttons to simply be scaled down by 1/2.

iOS has had such a simple slider (http://www.howtogeek.com/224491/how-to-volume-limit-your-iphone-ipod-and-other-apple-devices-and-save-your-kids-hearing/) since the beginning, it's super intuitive and should be easy for Sonos to add to the system.
Bump for this, I've been using Sonos for a few years and this would be a critical addition. Not only would it make adjusting the volume and balancing zones easier, but it would also help prevent kids or people new to Sonos from blasting sound in a room accidentally.
Userlevel 1
Hushlabs.ca fixes this ongoing sonos issue. You should check them out. My kids now all have a volume limit in each of their rooms or zones. No more blasting the music. 🆒
I can't justify spending $150 per zone on an issue that should be a simple software fix. I'm glad someone is offering an option though. I just wish Sonos would implement this, I can't believe it's been 4 years and they still haven't added it.
Userlevel 1
I understand your frustration as I was recently in your shoes. FYI, one box at $150 controls all the zone so you would only need one. But I agree, sonos should provide this feature for free.