Answered

Volume limit feature

• 6 September 2012
  • 191 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Add the ability to set a PIN protected volume limit per zone.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 9 October 2018, 22:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

191 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
101 requests. No reply. I don't think Sonos monitors their forums. Or they are too busy counting money or too busy trying to figure out how to pay the bills. Something is wrong with a company that does not respond to customers requests. This feature (lack thereof) is the only reason I haven't purchased additional speakers for my business. It's not like these are $5 speakers you get at the checkout aisle. Come on Sonos! Get with the times. React to your customers, please.

We have a full team here dedicated to reading every post made on the community and responding as well. We make sure to share ideas within the company, passing on suggestions and requests in a number of ways. That said, as a company we don't share a roadmap or discuss future development, so for some requests we can only say so much.

The only way to adjust the volume on players for most users is through our app, or using the physical buttons on the players. Most businesses I've seen Sonos used in have them mounted way too high for anyone to touch the buttons, and apps can only connect if they're on your wireless network, which you'll usually want to have private as well. The only people you should really have to worry about would be any employees that you've trusted with the wifi credentials.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, and we love seeing posts like chowanec's above, a solution of sorts which people can use if they feel confident enough. We'll be sure to let everyone know if there's any news on this feature in the future.
We have a full team here dedicated to reading every post made on the community and responding as well. We make sure to share ideas within the company, passing on suggestions and requests in a number of ways. That said, as a company we don't share a roadmap or discuss future development, so for some requests we can only say so much.

The only way to adjust the volume on players for most users is through our app, or using the physical buttons on the players. Most businesses I've seen Sonos used in have them mounted way too high for anyone to touch the buttons, and apps can only connect if they're on your wireless network, which you'll usually want to have private as well. The only people you should really have to worry about would be any employees that you've trusted with the wifi credentials.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, and we love seeing posts like chowanec's above, a solution of sorts which people can use if they feel confident enough. We'll be sure to let everyone know if there's any news on this feature in the future.

Wow! A response! Albeit a "thank you for your thoughts" reply. Those of us interested in this simple feature add are not interested in where "most businesses mount" their Sonos speakers. Also kind of crazy that a high sought after feature can be utilized on Lenux only... come on... Just make the feature already, please.
And you wonder why nobody responds? :rolleyes
@cherrysonos the volume limit script author has a newer python script , should work in windows. See his newer thread here https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/volume-limits-per-zone-6736790

FYI As per the script author it requires a machine also running Sonospy, also windows friendly. But you could run it in a pi.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Actually, the latest is independent of Sonospy. It's not perfect, but I'm not an engineer either. 🙂 That said, Sonospy is awesome and you should use it anyway.

-Chow
Hi Sonos, I think this is one of the most urgent requests coming from clients. Unless your software development process is a mess (which I do not expect), this must be an easy thing to do. Let's do this and make clients happy!
Please Sonos develop a PIN protected limit feature. I run a holiday let business and have Sonos in my lets. My guests love it but my neighbours are not so happy when my guests get carried away with the volume! So many people are asking for this feature please do something
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the requests, I'll be sure to pass the word on to the team for you. We don't share what's coming up usually, so not news on if this feature is on the list to be worked on at the moment, but we'll let you know if there's any news that can be shared later on.
Thanks Ryan but we, Sonos clients, are getting a little fed up with receiving the same standard reply you've been issuing for the last 3 years. I think we'll just have to look at alternatives to Sonos, we certainly won't be buying any further speakers and nor will we recommend Sonos to friends/family as we have done in the past. It's such a shame as its a great product but the company clearly is not interested in client feedback; this will be its downfall in the long run
Thanks Ryan but we, Sonos clients, are getting a little fed up with receiving the same standard reply you've been issuing for the last 3 years. I think we'll just have to look at alternatives to Sonos, we certainly won't be buying any further speakers and nor will we recommend Sonos to friends/family as we have done in the past. It's such a shame as its a great product but the company clearly is not interested in client feedback; this will be its downfall in the long run

Can you tell me the alternative to Sonos which has a volume limit feature? Can you tell me the one which has publicly announced a volume limit feature is coming soon?
Denon Heos has it on one product that I know of.

http://manuals.denon.com/HEOSAMP/ALL/EN/DRDZSYsaodkfte.php

Of course if @AshleyIBZ et al wanted to roll their own, LMS has a number of different volume limit, lock and security features. A few Raspi will get it done. Or you could try it with the speakers you own using the Sonos/upnp plugin.
We are going to look at Denon Heos as we're not "techies" and just want a simple solution. Looks like the Sonos system will be sold on eBay!
@Ashley Bluesound also has it. This isn't an endorsement, I've never used the Denon or bluesound systems.
Many thanks, will look at both before buying. Need to do something before the neighbors of our holiday rental kill us!
It's to easy to set max volume by mistake. and we have the app in pc and in phones 2 times last week we have max volume in one zone it was an mistake but it's not fun to distroy 3 speakers. So plz fix so you can set an volume limit in every zone. Or if the speaker get damage you repair if by guarantee? I also needed to install sonos app two times because it have max volume from start when I downloaded the app android .so plz fix this or we change to another brand soon .
You are not going to "destroy 3 speakers." Sonos Play units are already hardware limited to prevent damage at full volume.
+1 vor this. Really would need such a Feature. Dont even need Pin protect just Basic Limit Settings
I am so disappointed that nothing has happened in regards to this. I easily would have bought Sonos systems for my kids rooms, but without this basic feature that's not going to happen.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What system has this "BASIC FEATURE" ... Basic feature would mean its standard with everything. I have never seen this BASIC FEATURE in any system I have owned.

Comments like that belittle your cause.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Basic feature would be "my mouth" telling my son to turn the music down.

They do have the basic feature in that they have circuit that keeps the Play speakers from playing so loud they damage the speaker.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I do not forsee any kind of pin code for volume limits being introduced by Sonos. There have been rumors of a patent for super party mode where its possible some users can be limited. We shall see but Sonos will not comment on that.
@Chris this basic feature would be very useful for the Connect:Amps (I own 2). 40% is as loud as I ever want. 80-100% would probably damage my speakers. I hope I don't ever find out.

I use the amps as Squeezebox devices most of the time. Squeezebox has volume control/limits, access limits, kid controls and settings FYI. FFS I don't think I will be retiring my squeezebox system anytime soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I never said it wouldn't be useful to some. I still wouldn't call the feature basic in any way.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I would really value this. With a pin code would be ideal, but even without would be amazing. I don't want to disturb the neighbours! I worked love to get a Sonos amp with out door speakers but worry I would group it and make them too loud.

Also my kids have turned the music too loud many times and it had stopped me buying Sonos 1 for their rooms& Sonos 5 for three living room as I worry out of control volume. I'm a loyal customer with TV, kitchen, study, my bedroom & bathroom covered... Give me there peace of mind to buy more!
My company made a very simple black box to do exactly this. Plug it into your network, it monitors all of your Sonos devices and will make sure each Sonos device does not exceed the user's preset maximum volume level. Super simple to setup via web interface. Checkout http://hushlabs.ca.