Answered

Volume limit feature

• 6 September 2012
  • 191 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Add the ability to set a PIN protected volume limit per zone.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 9 October 2018, 22:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

191 replies

Another person supporting the request for this feature (limit volume by player via controller / settings).
I think that a user rights needs to be introduced (which includes volume limits). You can have the following rights. admin - access to all, with ability to restrict features to managers, users & guests plus able to set volume to predetermined limit in each zone/room. Example accounts (allocated to devices) Manager - no restriction setting ability, Access to alarms and everything else. User - volume up to pre determined limit, change source, change tracks, no alarm access, not allowed to delete playlists, etc. Guest - add songs to existing playlist only (no volume control) Stu
I would be fine with a first step of putting ("hiding") the per zone volume offsets in the settings. Toddlers, clumsiness and jittery touchscreen digitizers are my main concern. (Not that there was any recent clumsiness event that lead to this post...)
This box will now get hidden underneath the table so that nobody can turn the volume up by accident so much that it blows the speakers.  I'm limiting the output of the zp90 in effect.
Userlevel 1
Badge
If the ability to set a custom maximum on the volume is introduced, it'd be nice to be able to set associated time ranges. I'm living in an apartment and what is acceptable during the day is very different to what's acceptable at 2am when a fat finger moment could wake up 4 units of people!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Having a maximum limit would enable me to but another SONOS unit. I would like to have wired outside speakers connected to a SONOS unit, but I'm so worried about accidentally increasing the volume too much and annoying the neighbours, that I dare not do it.. If I could limit it to say 10% of volume, then I could buy it without worrying. 
Userlevel 2
Badge
This is surely such a simple feature to implement that I am stunned and gobsmacked that Sonos have not implemented it yet!!! 
Userlevel 2
Badge
My 14 month old son almost blew my bedroom speakers this morning and more importantly gave himself a terrible fright.... FFS!

Implement the feature SONOS!
+1

We'd use it in our vacation rental - otherwise we might need to remove our sonos entirely, sadly.
I would also like a volum limit per room.
Add the ability to set a PIN protected volume limit per zone. Please add this feature!!
Hi Sonos, if you are listening.

Three years since this feature request was mooted, and new products released since then, so I post here more out of hope than expectation.

Volume limiting for individual zones is truly a deal breaker for me. I'd love to buy four Play 1 units for my kids rooms, but without the means of setting a maximum output there is no way I will consider it. Sure, they should do as they're told and "turn it down", but I'm also thinking of the fact that flat out, or given an accidental volume hike, the units will be blown, not to mention the nerves of those around at the time. Not to mention the neighbours when we are out and unable to keep an ear on the tykes.

So come on Sonos. It's surely not too hard a feature to implement in software without affecting the overall performance of the unit. Perhaps the 2018 update then?
Hi Sonos, if you are listening.

Three years since this feature request was mooted, and new products released since then, so I post here more out of hope than expectation.

Volume limiting for individual zones is truly a deal breaker for me. I'd love to buy four Play 1 units for my kids rooms, but without the means of setting a maximum output there is no way I will consider it. Sure, they should do as they're told and "turn it down", but I'm also thinking of the fact that flat out, or given an accidental volume hike, the units will be blown, not to mention the nerves of those around at the time, or the sanity of neighbours when we are out and unable to keep an ear on the tykes.

So come on Sonos. It's surely not too hard a feature to implement in software without affecting the overall performance of the unit. Must be worth it just to reduce the social impact of One Direction on the nation too.

Perhaps the 2018 update then?
Sonos units will not blow if played at full volume, they are designed to protect themselves, the maximum available volume on a play unit is the maximum safe volume for that unit.

If it's that much of a deal breaker for you though then perhaps you should go for a competitor that offers this feature?
We will never ever max out the volume on these speakers. I can't imagine going above the middle of the scale. We dislike loud noises and it makes me nervous that I can so easily blast loud sound out of these by accident. I would really appreciate a way to set a personal maximum on each PLAY1 and then have the entire scale range over the acceptable volumes, instead of having half the scale as a lurking danger. Either that, or have an alternate style volume control with an increase/decrease rather than a slider.
Today my 1 year old daughter pressed the volume up on the TV remote and 2 seconds later started to cry because of the extreme loud volume from my playbar and SUB. I really want's you to implement this feature. It can't be that hard and it could save someone's ear in the future...
Please give us this feature, my son is driving me crazy.
Has it been made yet??
Clients ask for it, it's not complicated to do on the software... Why hasn´t been made yet?

I just don´t understand it.
My Girl ( 5j) just love's the Play1 in here room... but i do want to "protect" her ears for the future!
ok, i can adjust the volume remotely but a "fixed" software update maximizing the volume for a unit would't be such a mayer software issue i guess???

let say .. max volume on 60% or so ?
Sonos units will not blow if played at full volume, they are designed to protect themselves, the maximum available volume on a play unit is the maximum safe volume for that unit.

If it's that much of a deal breaker for you though then perhaps you should go for a competitor that offers this feature?

Maybe for the Sonos Speakers. But I can certainly turn my connect:amp up loud enough to where it's doing damage to the speakers.
Userlevel 2
I'd also like to support this rather long standing feature request.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Maybe for the Sonos Speakers. But I can certainly turn my connect:amp up loud enough to where it's doing damage to the speakers.

Why is you pairing inappropriate speakers to am amp -or vice versa - anyone else's concern?
I'd also like to support this rather long standing feature request.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I got frustrated by this too.

By no means am I an engineer, but I wrote a BASH script for linux that works with Sonospy that takes care of this issue for me in software. I tried a number of hardware solutions and it just got either too expensive, or they didn't work right.

It requires that you are running Sonospy

I've only tested it at my house, and it works for me:
1) Checks volume levels of listed zones once per second.
2) If current volume > max volume, it resets the volume to the max amount you set.
3) It understands that after a certain time, it steps the volume down to a set amount.
4) It understands that after midnight, it sets the volume to 0 (in the event we accidentally leave the outdoor speakers on).

I also wrote a poor-man's daemon for it too.

You SHOULD be able to:
1) Get Sonospy up and running (which I recommend anyway since the feature set of it is awesome to begin with).
2) Go to sonospy/sonospy/gui
3) Edit volume.sh
4) Configure it for your needs in the top section of the file.
5) run `./volumed.sh start`

I offer no real support for this since I wrote it for myself and my own specific needs, but maybe it'll help someone out there.

Again, this only works on linux for the time being.
101 requests. No reply. I don't think Sonos monitors their forums. Or they are too busy counting money or too busy trying to figure out how to pay the bills. Something is wrong with a company that does not respond to customers requests. This feature (lack thereof) is the only reason I haven't purchased additional speakers for my business. It's not like these are $5 speakers you get at the checkout aisle. Come on Sonos! Get with the times. React to your customers, please.