Answered

Volume limit feature

• 6 September 2012
  • 191 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Add the ability to set a PIN protected volume limit per zone.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 9 October 2018, 22:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

191 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Great idea. I would add to that: instead of only setting a limit, I would also suggest being able to set a fixed, unmovable volume as well.
Userlevel 5
Badge
I agree, some kind of protected mode would be nice. Many are asking for this in different ways.. Perhaps adding support for user login with different permissions? Mom and Dad can use whole system, children can only play music in their rooms, party guests can add songs but not change volume or current song.. and so on.. a user login feature would open up for many features.
Userlevel 2
I agree, the Play:5 has great sound, but anything above 35% volume is just painful in my bedroom. Makes it a bit twiddly to set the volume and the potential for disaster is just too big without a limit.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
On some of my devices the useful range for volume is within the lowest 10-15%. This has a number of unpleasant consequences: * it's easy to mistakenly set the volume too high, * it's very difficult to slightly lower the volume by tapping to the left side of the knob, as the left side is so tiny, * it's difficult to move the knob precisely, because the range is so small. I'd suggest an option in the device settings (for each device): set a maximum volume. This would serve two purposes: a) limit the actual volume so that we never get blasted with super-loud music and b) set a useful 0-100% range for volume sliders.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
"On some of my devices the useful range for volume is within the lowest 10-15%. This has a number of unpleasant consequences: * it's easy to mistakenly set the volume too high, * it's very difficult to slightly lower the volume by tapping to the left side of the knob, as the left side is so tiny, * it's difficult to move the knob precisely, because the range is so small. I'd suggest an option in the device settings (for each device): set a maximum volume. This would serve two purposes: a) limit the actual volume so that we never get blasted with super-loud music and b) set a useful 0-100% range for volume sliders." +1 this would also solve the problem of how to avoid blowing up low wattage speakers with a ZP120!
Userlevel 2
The setting of a useful 0-100% range is key here. It'd make volume adjustment in my bedroom three times easier.
I also think may be a good solution to my request for some compression feature. This solution hopefully could allow a user to turn the volume up for very quiet passages so they didn't vanish, but set a lower maximum so that loud passages weren't overwhelming.....?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I would also like to see a volume limit on fixed output with zp90's, there are times when it goes into a surround receiver or multizone receiver and the amp doesn't like the "hot" output and will clip at any volume level set at receiver. It would also help in multi source systems to be able to more closely match the other inputs. Should be easy considering there is already volume attenuation capability of hardware, instead of making it go to 100% when you hit fixed output, let it stay at current level.
I would like this feature so I can limit the volume on my son's Play3 and restrict the hours he can use it - i.e. not playing at volume 10 while he's supposedly doing his homework. Simple parental control would be incredibly useful.
I support this request as we also had a some VERY LOUD moments - bad for the ears and the hart. At that moment I wish I bought a regular hifi system with a volume knob instead of a sonos system. But a simple option in the settings menu would already make a big difference.
Badge
I support this request. Also, it'd be nice to set different maximum levels at certain times of the day. I.e I'd like to protect my neighbours from my teenager's urge to play loud music at late hours.
Absolutely 100% agree. I asked about this feature 2-3 years ago, but has unfortunately never materialised. My biggest concern was with an outdoor speaker & zp120 setup - I pictured my other half trying to put music on in the lounge, thinking it's a bit quiet and sticking it on full blast - only then realising it's out in the garden. Seemed like a backwards step to run it through an amp to achieve a volume cap, but neighbour relationships are important!
Absolutely agree, volume limit and range keys would be very nice!
Userlevel 3
Think this feature has been under consideration for too long!? Vote for this: https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/implement_customers_good_ideas_more_quickly
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Under consideration for WAY too long. SONOS, really...why bother with this forum?
I am a builder and have installed these in a few homes, the issue is when the client comes back to me and asks how they can stop there children from having a volume war, basically changing music and ramping up the volume in each others rooms, also clients asking similar question but maybe having young babies which which are sleeping. definetly need to have some sort of password protection on 2 levels volume/playlist with a main controller that can allow or disallow access. I have to let clients know this is an issue and some have opted not to have as many as they would have like and more often than not for me to supply a system they can actually control 😞 . I have discussed this with Sonos and they agree this is a good idea and they can see the issues. Definetly been under consideration too long.
Userlevel 2
With due respect - why don't you just tell him to turn the volume down? If he generally doesn't listen and do as he's told, then that's a parenting problem rather than a technical problem.
Userlevel 2
I am a builder and have installed these in a few homes, the issue is when the client comes back to me and asks how they can stop there children from having a volume war, basically changing music and ramping up the volume in each others rooms, also clients asking similar question but maybe having young babies which which are sleeping. definetly need to have some sort of password protection on 2 levels volume/playlist with a main controller that can allow or disallow access. I have to let clients know this is an issue and some have opted not to have as many as they would have like and more often than not for me to supply a system they can actually control 😞 . I have discussed this with Sonos and they agree this is a good idea and they can see the issues. Definetly been under consideration too long.
Until (if) Sonos implements this, you could simply answer those parents "by teaching your children to do as you're told".
Badge
Tomas, Some day you might find young people living in your own home. Most of them try very hard to do as they're told, but sometimes they're just not up to the task. Ever been a teenager yourself?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I really wish Sonos would address this instead of all these troll comments... Yes, we could not turn it up so loud but if you've ever actually used sonos you know it's at least possible to turn the wrong zone up with 10 available especially when grouped, not to mention the fact that you can try to hold and drag and end up being confused as a tap of full volume directly; coupled with the possibility of losing wifi right at an inopportune moment, the need remains. I find this very frustrating to be brushed off because one person uses his single boombox with no problem and can't understand why someone with 10 zp120's hooked to some nice speakers would ever want to keep it limited to under 150 decibels. I mean if iPods can do it, why can't a sonos piece? It's really a simple piece of code change guys.
Userlevel 2
I certainly have been, pah. I wish your clients the best of luck when it comes to asking jeans manufacturers to build in a system making it impossible to unzip when there's a member of the opposite sex nearby, or when they want to ask car manufacturers to let them remotely control how fast the teen's car is allowed to drive.
Badge
Thank you. We might get there eventually. Here in Sweden we already have a remedy for one of these issues in place 😉
Userlevel 2
Trust the Swedes to be at the forefront. Volvo should have adopted the Vorsprung durch technik saying 😉
Userlevel 1
Badge
More irrelevant comments making light of an issue that doesn't matter as much to them. While it is an engineering feat to make a car that keeps teens from driving fast, Chevy has already done it and I think Ford and Volvo too. As far as Jeans that don't unzip, they were actually the first jeans ever made. They started out as button-fly (no zipper to unzip) so if these impossible things can be done, why can't a simple change be made by the engineers. Change volume from a range of integers from 0-100 be a range from 0-x where x is a value (defaulted to 100) set in a menu. If they want to appease a broader group of people they could also make a settings pin-code lockout. We are not talking about hacking North Korean launch codes, this is simple programming people. If I was privy to the source code it could be done in 15 seconds.
Userlevel 1
Badge
As far as the childish war games go, all you have to do is set them up as separate systems. Then only they have access to their bedroom system. They would have to gain physical access to it and learn themselves into it. It defeats the purpose of easy wireless mesh networking but if you have hardlines in place, it is a pretty easy fix.