Answered

Volume limit feature

• 6 September 2012
  • 191 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Add the ability to set a PIN protected volume limit per zone.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 9 October 2018, 22:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

191 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Great idea. I would add to that: instead of only setting a limit, I would also suggest being able to set a fixed, unmovable volume as well.
Userlevel 5
Badge
I agree, some kind of protected mode would be nice. Many are asking for this in different ways.. Perhaps adding support for user login with different permissions? Mom and Dad can use whole system, children can only play music in their rooms, party guests can add songs but not change volume or current song.. and so on.. a user login feature would open up for many features.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
On some of my devices the useful range for volume is within the lowest 10-15%. This has a number of unpleasant consequences: * it's easy to mistakenly set the volume too high, * it's very difficult to slightly lower the volume by tapping to the left side of the knob, as the left side is so tiny, * it's difficult to move the knob precisely, because the range is so small. I'd suggest an option in the device settings (for each device): set a maximum volume. This would serve two purposes: a) limit the actual volume so that we never get blasted with super-loud music and b) set a useful 0-100% range for volume sliders.
Userlevel 2
I agree, the Play:5 has great sound, but anything above 35% volume is just painful in my bedroom. Makes it a bit twiddly to set the volume and the potential for disaster is just too big without a limit.
Has it been made yet??
Clients ask for it, it's not complicated to do on the software... Why hasn´t been made yet?

I just don´t understand it.
Userlevel 2
The setting of a useful 0-100% range is key here. It'd make volume adjustment in my bedroom three times easier.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I got frustrated by this too.

By no means am I an engineer, but I wrote a BASH script for linux that works with Sonospy that takes care of this issue for me in software. I tried a number of hardware solutions and it just got either too expensive, or they didn't work right.

It requires that you are running Sonospy

I've only tested it at my house, and it works for me:
1) Checks volume levels of listed zones once per second.
2) If current volume > max volume, it resets the volume to the max amount you set.
3) It understands that after a certain time, it steps the volume down to a set amount.
4) It understands that after midnight, it sets the volume to 0 (in the event we accidentally leave the outdoor speakers on).

I also wrote a poor-man's daemon for it too.

You SHOULD be able to:
1) Get Sonospy up and running (which I recommend anyway since the feature set of it is awesome to begin with).
2) Go to sonospy/sonospy/gui
3) Edit volume.sh
4) Configure it for your needs in the top section of the file.
5) run `./volumed.sh start`

I offer no real support for this since I wrote it for myself and my own specific needs, but maybe it'll help someone out there.

Again, this only works on linux for the time being.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, thanks for all the feedback on this suggestion. I know just how startling it can be when someone accidently (or maliciously) cranks the volume way up. We don't have any plans that I can share around adding a volume lock or maximum volume to Sonos but it is a request I'll make sure to add all your interest to internally.

It's been mentioned here already, but we don't comment about future development or share a roadmap, so we can't say too much about what's coming or what's planned for the future. Right now the development team is working hard on Spotify direct control and bringing voice control to Sonos through Amazon Alexa. There's always other projects going on, but we can't pull back the curtain and let you know what they are just yet.

Thanks again for the feedback and I'll make sure it gets passed on to the team.
Adding to this. I advertise them as a selling point for AirBnb but I don't want a guest to get me evicted or get a noise complaint from the cops. This is such a basic idea that I was blown away to see this thread going on for 5 years.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your continued interest in this feature. I'll update our teams on this request. We don't have any new information to share at this time though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
"On some of my devices the useful range for volume is within the lowest 10-15%. This has a number of unpleasant consequences: * it's easy to mistakenly set the volume too high, * it's very difficult to slightly lower the volume by tapping to the left side of the knob, as the left side is so tiny, * it's difficult to move the knob precisely, because the range is so small. I'd suggest an option in the device settings (for each device): set a maximum volume. This would serve two purposes: a) limit the actual volume so that we never get blasted with super-loud music and b) set a useful 0-100% range for volume sliders." +1 this would also solve the problem of how to avoid blowing up low wattage speakers with a ZP120!
Absolutely 100% agree. I asked about this feature 2-3 years ago, but has unfortunately never materialised. My biggest concern was with an outdoor speaker & zp120 setup - I pictured my other half trying to put music on in the lounge, thinking it's a bit quiet and sticking it on full blast - only then realising it's out in the garden. Seemed like a backwards step to run it through an amp to achieve a volume cap, but neighbour relationships are important!
Userlevel 1
Badge
I really wish Sonos would address this instead of all these troll comments... Yes, we could not turn it up so loud but if you've ever actually used sonos you know it's at least possible to turn the wrong zone up with 10 available especially when grouped, not to mention the fact that you can try to hold and drag and end up being confused as a tap of full volume directly; coupled with the possibility of losing wifi right at an inopportune moment, the need remains. I find this very frustrating to be brushed off because one person uses his single boombox with no problem and can't understand why someone with 10 zp120's hooked to some nice speakers would ever want to keep it limited to under 150 decibels. I mean if iPods can do it, why can't a sonos piece? It's really a simple piece of code change guys.
Userlevel 2
There seem to be two slightly differing requirements here, or at least one requirement with an additional feature required by some.

1. The ability to limit the usable volume range per Sonos device. The entire slider area should then become available for finer grained use up to that new, lower, maximum.

2. The ability to then somehow lock this new limit under some form of parental or admin control.

Personally I just need the first, and suspect even those also requiring 2. would welcome it if it means implementation sooner rather than later 🙂
Today my 1 year old daughter pressed the volume up on the TV remote and 2 seconds later started to cry because of the extreme loud volume from my playbar and SUB. I really want's you to implement this feature. It can't be that hard and it could save someone's ear in the future...
Please give us this feature, my son is driving me crazy.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Just adding my voice to the chorus of people wanting this. I have an Autistic Niece who loves to turn the volume up using the physical buttons on the Sonos. Something that can get pretty old pretty quickly especially for my brother who also has a Sonos setup. It's basically a game for her. So if there was a way to either lock or limit volume control in some way? That'd be awesome.

Three ways this could be done that I'd be ok with:
1. A volume lock checkbox next to the volume in the app
2. A volume limiter. For example setting it to 50%, 75% or just "no louder than it currently is"
3. A simple item in room settings to disable physical buttons. There's already one for the White LED
Sonos has repeatedly stated that it is highly improbable, if not impossible, to "blow" a Play:1 (or any other Play unit) due to high volume level. To do so requires other faults in the device. So I suspect you had a faulty unit, or you are putting one over for hyperbole's sake,

Good work inspector, I don't really care what you think... I have a blown speaker due to someone blasting the volume. Maybe its the only time its ever happened, but it did. And don't you have anything better to do than troll around peoples feature requests?
Userlevel 1
Just get 1 hushbox and it will fix the volume control problem for all your sonos speakers. By the way, i am not affiliated with them in any way and also got trolled in the past when i posted this solution. I just had the same issue in the past and that was the most cost effective way to fix the volume control problem for my kids.
How is this not yet a feature? We have huge issues with this in our open office space, where it's a constant battle of the volume slider as some people like to have very loud music playing which disturbs coworkers and neighbours.

I can only imagine the trouble having a speaker in a kids room, that would simply not work without this feature.

We are sadly already too heavily invested in Sonos speakers here, so a change of speakers would be too costly for us.

Can only hope a feature to limit the volume in certain zones is made as soon as possible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, starting today with Sonos 9.2 there's the ability to use the mobile controller for Android or iOS to set a maximum volume for each of your Sonos players. This setting is protected by your Sonos user account, so you'll need to log into the system to set it up. The whole volume bar will still go from 0-100, but 100% will now reflect what your volume limit is set to. This has the added benefit of being able to get more granular control of players at low volume, as the volume steps will scale up or down with the max volume.

Feel free to play around with it and see what you think.
I agree it should be explained. Though there is a significant number of "torches and pitchforks" type users who pounce on any and all authentication requirements, even those as useful as this, as privacy violations and signs of Sonos "selling our data". So it is sort of a delicate subject, and calling attention to it tends to fuel the fire.
I would like this feature so I can limit the volume on my son's Play3 and restrict the hours he can use it - i.e. not playing at volume 10 while he's supposedly doing his homework. Simple parental control would be incredibly useful.
I support this request as we also had a some VERY LOUD moments - bad for the ears and the hart. At that moment I wish I bought a regular hifi system with a volume knob instead of a sonos system. But a simple option in the settings menu would already make a big difference.
Badge
I support this request. Also, it'd be nice to set different maximum levels at certain times of the day. I.e I'd like to protect my neighbours from my teenager's urge to play loud music at late hours.