volume control from iphone when airplaying tv/video

• 9 September 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I have a question related to iPhone volume control. When I send music directly to Sonos from my iPhone, I have no trouble controlling my Beam’s volume from my phone. On the other hand, when I stream video content (Netflix, etc) through my Samsung tv (connected to my Beam via HDMI Arc), I can’t control the volume other than from my tv’s remote. Is there no way to do this? It seems like a pretty simple situation, but I can’t figure it out.

Thanks very much

2 replies

Userlevel 7

You can control the Beam volume on the Now Playing screen on the Sonos app or on your phone’s Lock Screen by enabling Lock Screen Controls under Settings > App Preferences.

NOTE: Lock screen controls will not appear in the following scenarios:

• A non-Sonos AirPlay capable device is present.
    • To allow lock screen controls to appear when using Sonos, disable the AirPlay feature on all non-Sonos AirPlay endpoints such as Apple TVs or Apple AirPort base stations.
  • Another app on the iOS device is playing music or video.
  • While the iOS device is connected to a non-Sonos Bluetooth audio device.
  • VoiceOver is enabled.
  • Headphones are connected to the iOS device.

Read more here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3381?language=en_US

Thanks very much for your reply. 

I’ve followed these instructions but still have no luck. I have lock screen controls enabled, as well as Hardware Control. When I control the volume from my phone, it shows that I am connected to airplay, but the volume does not adjust on the Beam itself. Anything else I may be doing wrong?

Thanks