Question

VLC / Macbook audio via Sonos?

• 6 November 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi there,

I’ve seen this topic popping on and off since a while now but still did not manage to figure out a solution for my particular case.

What I have:

• 2 x rooms, each with a Sonos Connect that then in turn goes to an existing 5.1 sound system

What I’m trying to achieve:

• Play laptop sound (not just songs..but for example also iTunes content or VLC movies sound) over the Sonos connect in a certain room

So far I’ve seen:

• some Sonos speakers have Airplay..not the Connect => not sure if something would be possible here
  • an app Airfoil → should normally see speakers..in my case the Sonos Connect was not visible in it (not sure it is supported though)

And I’ve reached a dead-end :)

Do I have anything else that I can explore or try out?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Perhaps look at using Bluetooth (transmitter) from the PC and a receiver connected to the line-in port on the 'connect’.

There are tools one can install on a laptop to send audio via the network, but they may not work well and will add significant delay. (Airfoil only works to Airplay targets, which the Connect isn’t.)

Perhaps look at using Bluetooth (transmitter) from the PC and a receiver connected to the line-in port on the 'connect’.

A Line-In on the Connect would add at least 70ms of Sonos delay, in addition to the Bluetooth latency. The latter could be reduced to around 40ms with aptX-LL, but the overall ~110ms delay could still noticeably affect movie lip-sync.

Since the objective is just to get audio into the 5.1 systems, the sensible thing to do is skip the Connect entirely and simply plug a Bluetooth aptX-LL receiver into a suitable audio input on the AVR. There are BT receivers which output optical digital. Get a compatible USB aptX-LL transmitter for the laptop. Job done.

Hi Ratty,

Thanks for the detailed explanation!
Well the delay would be manageable...I mean you can tune the audio track offset in VLC and then all good for the sync.
Was trying to see if it’s possible to use the Connects I have in each room both via the Sonos app and also as “speakers” output from a laptop when I move around and if I watch a movie.
There’s no magic solution without adding an extra complexity in the mix from what I can tell.