Virtual zones

Userlevel 1
As per my 8 year old thread - http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=14604 I would like virtual zones - for example, an upstairs zone or downstairs, or outside so I can quickly get the music I want to the areas I want.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

+1. Permanent groups and/or virtual groups where devices can be used in more than 1 virtual group would be great. I've seen others refer to them as "scenes." Anything to make grouping and un grouping faster.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Time to bring this back to the top of the list. 
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Not really, the same rules apply for these as they would with any other group you create. If you want to ungroup then you can, if you want to keep the same group going you can. Same thing applies now. If a user has a group and the second, third, or forth user wants to use a single speaker, they can do just that, ungroup and use that single group. If the user wants to use multiple speakers, each user can. That isn't the problem. The issue I would like to see/want to solve is having to build these groups continuously, each and every single time we want to group speakers. Why can't we have a remember this group functionality?

Let us have groups/zones. If you don't want to use them, you don't use them. If you want to use them, you will.

This isn't a one size fits all, but either is the current software solution, just but the amount of wants in this forum, but it does fill the need of those who want to create and keep these groups/zones.
This really needs to be added. Users have been asking for this over and over again. Sonos, please make this happen.
Really needed feature! I stopped expanding my system (8 components so far) because it became annoying regrouping the zones...
I want to be able to set the alarm for a group, but all we have is one checkbox saying "include grouped" - which only applies to what is currently grouped. This post explains it nicely: http://forums.sonos.com/showpost.php?p=192717&postcount=174
I second this feature request. I have 22 devices across my house. I'm constantly grouping the 7 "downstairs" and 2 "upstairs master bed/bath" into seperate groups. I've got 4 for the backyard, 2 out front, and three for the "guest" side of the house, where roomates/kids sleep, and 2 for the front yard. I have resorted to prefixing these "zones" with A, B, C, D, E so that 1) The most commonly used ones (my bedroom and the downstairs) Are toward the top of the list for quick grouping. And 2) Things I group together are near each other in the list so I don't have to hunt around their alphabetical naming do this sorting in my head every time I reset the grouping. I'd like to see the ability to have a feature that accomplishes these for me. If A-MasterBed and A-BasterBath are only and always used together, I'd like to flag these as a "zone" so that they are functionally 1 un-seperatable thing. Then, when I have a party, I only have to worry about grouping "upstairs zone" and "downstairs zone" and "Backyard", rather than each individual component. This would also avoid the hassle of seperating them, where currently I have to ungroup A master bed and A master bath... then group A master Bed and A master Bath together again.
This should be a higher priority than adding more streaming services or screwing with Airplay integration. Virtual zones would benefit everybody.
It's a complete no brainer. Although Sonos have made it easier to group/ungroup zones, it's still quite a clunky operation that could be simplified by virtual zones. You would have thought that any feature that would get users buying more speakers would be a priority!!
Bump.  +1 to wanting zones.  This would improve my sonos experience more than any other feature.  I have 18+ sonos boxes in my house.  I've unplugged several of the less used ones now, because it clutters up my grouping.  Virtual zones would solve this, and I'd plug them back in.  Please sonos!  I know this isn't top priority for you, but we've been wanting this for years!!  find time please!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm not going to comment on how long it should take and we also don't know what kind of a priority it is for Sonos.  But permanent groups does seem like a long overdue enhancement.
Userlevel 1
+1. Considering the wizardry you all are capable of, this seems like a gimme.
100% agree on permanent groups that stay in tact through power failures. I would like to be able to unplug a player that is part of a group to clean or shift it to a different spot in the room and have it rejoin the group it was in when it is powered back up.I'm not as clear on how the scenes would work though. If I have two different virtual groups playing at the same time and I have a player that is a member of both of them then which program is that player going to play?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I would like to see more group options available in the Sonos app.

I would also like to preset the default volume for each individual speaker in a group. This way, when the group is enabled, the speakers are at a known volume.
This really is a must have feature
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
I would like to see this type of feature implemented, it would be much more useful to me than, say, moving tracks around in the queue.

I am often grouping/ungrouping/re-grouping players depending on who is in the house, what time of day, how the house is being used
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
as a workaround, for anyone using a IOS check out 'Sonosequencr' on the app store. Provides some easy options via custom made 'macros' for creating and switching between virtual zones. Only problem is that it is not part of the Sonos app so you have to switch between apps.
+1... I have a 20-zone install. Playbars, Connect:amps, and Connects throughout. I need to suplement an external area with a couple of play:1s which I already have, and another area with a pair of play:5s... however its a pain as I cant have them be "part" of the connect:amp zone automatically... i need to add them everytime....
Sonos launches new software versions with absolutely irrelevant changes rather than worrying about features desired for years.
1) set up several groups
2) do not lose group settings when disconnected from power
3) volume adjustment per speaker (e.g. in EQ)

It looks like that no more than one person is working in software development, but many in the marketing ...
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Development prioritization at Sonos has always been a mystery. Super niche areas like the Spotify interface or the option to downgrade from Sonosnet to plain Wi-Fi get top attention while items such as virtual zones and persistent groups that would benefit a huge majority of users continue to be ignored.

I wouldnt call the Spotify Interface 'Super Niche' - Spotify has the largest premium (paid) subscription user base of any music service in the world so Im sure it must represent a pretty large section of Sonos customers. The native Spotify interface has moved on massively in the last 2 years yet has stood still on Sonos so many features are unavailable. The ones in beta are still only a step in the right direction towards feature parity but any progress is sure to help sales.

However, I would agree with you about the rest and prioritization being something of a mystery. Its a shame the 'Ideas' voting concept has been dropped from this new site. It was the only way to gauge the weight of user opinion and now we have to trust sonos alone to decide where to steer their ship
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Giving this very old thread a nice bump as this is something I really wish they would implement also. This would be especially nice now that we have voice control for our devices.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I won't speak for anyone else, but for me it is the following:

I have two speakers in two separate rooms that I ALWAYS play/group together. I want this group to be permanent until I break them via the software interface. I have several other speakers that I would also like have set in a permanent group, since I am always grouping them. What happens when I want to include those same speakers in a bigger group, I have to break them up and or amend a single group in order to accommodate the other speakers. I would like to have a pre-designated group of speakers. That I can have at my finger tips without having to build them over and over again.

I would also like to have an upstairs group and downstairs group. Basically different sets of groups throughout the house.

Play Group 1 (speaker A and B start playing)
Play Group 2 (speakers A and C start playing)
Play Group 3 (speakers C and B start playing)
Play Speaker "A"
Play Group 4 (speakers A, B, and C start playing)
Play Group 5 (speakers D and A start playing)
Play Group 6 (speakers A, B, C, and D start playing)

Basically based on what you select or say, those groups will play. Yes there are some challenges like you mentioned. For me, this would allow me to better use my voice controls to operate. These two speaker groups are always grouped together. I want them to stay that way plus being able to include those groups in other groups based on what I select or have already designated as groups.

I would say, create a separate section called virtual groups/fixed groups, or just saved groups, which allows you to select and chose which speaker combinations you would like and be able to give them a name.

Like I mentioned before, as it stands right now, you have to build the groups ever time you want to group speakers. Being able to save your groups would be a huge in my book.
Is there any reason given by sonos not to implement this? by they way, I'd love to programm my alarm clock like a "normal" alarm clock...not just online with the max. 2hours or endless play option - m I wrong or can't this be sooo complicated? cheers for at least a short feedback from sonos!!! THANKS!
Userlevel 2
Great idea. Would love this.
I just want the same music in my bedroom and bathroom at the same time without extra steps. I cant hear the bedroom music with the shower on. This is why I haven't bought the play1.